View Full Version : Sketchup Export Texture Display Problem
21 Jan 2010, 20:07
I've been using a mixture of the texture files that came with Sketchup and some BMP files I created myself. When the texture files are in the separate folder that Sketchup uses when you Export a .dae file, the BMP file shows up fine but the Sketchup file (that is converted by Sketchup from an .skm file to a .jpg file) does not.
Here is the exported building in MCX - note that the roof texture (a Sketchup texture - Roofing_Tile_Spanish, as I remember) is not showing up - but shows up in the Material Editor:
If I change that texture0 material to use my BMP texture instead (which I use for the walls), it displays on the model just fine:
Note that the Sketchup file is not square, but I change that when I convert it to a BMP file when I add the object to FS.
Any ideas what's wrong?
For ModelConverterX it should not matter if the texture is square or not (although FS cares).
Could you maybe send me this object so that I can try to reproduce the problem?
25 Jan 2010, 15:02
It's attached to this message. I kept the .dae file separate from the texture's folder, as exported by Sketchup, when I have this problem.
Thanks, I'll try to reproduce the issue.
When I load the object here the texture is showing, can you verify that with the latest version it still does not work on your side?
25 Jan 2010, 18:02
Here is a pic of the object still missing the roof texture, along with the box showing this version was just downloaded.
It doesn't actually matter if the .dae file is inside the texture's folder or not. The wall texture shows up fine, but not the roof texture.
I'm not sure this happens on my other computer, so it might be something specific to this one. But it's odd that the texture will display fine in the Material Editor, but not on the model.
Hope this helps,
Thanks for the feedback, I will try to search further. It might be a little hard though, since I can't reproduce it here. It is a bit funny that it displays OK in the texture editor, so that indicates the file can be found. Maybe some issue with the texture mapping...
27 Jan 2010, 14:12
Thanks for looking into this. I know it's impossible to fix if you can't reproduce it. :)
The only difference I can think of in the mapping of the two textures is that the roof texture was mapped just using the settings found in the default material - all I did was set the left/right value to one I liked. The wall texture was mapped using the right click/Texture/Position choice to move and resize the texture on that polygon.
But just swapping the textures in the MCX Material Editor allowed the wall texture to be seen on the roof, so that doesn't seem to be it either...
Hope this helps,
True, if you change the texture they show OK. So it sounds like the JPG is not read correctly or so, but that is weird since it shows in the material editor (using same code to load). Let me think a bit more about this...
27 Jan 2010, 17:23
I'm taking the files to another computer, and will let you know if there is a problem on that one tomorrow.
27 Jan 2010, 18:14
OK, now here's a really weird one (two, actually).
I decided to try to get the roof texture to show by converting that jpg texture to a square BMP texture using the new Mass Texture Converter.
I did that, but when I then opened the Material Editor to change the texture to something else, I noticed that this texture was not being described properly in the tool tip - its properties were that of the original 256 x 163 texture, not the 256 x 256 texture you can see in the Material Editor window in the attached image (compare it to the image of the original texture in the image above). The mouse was pointing at roof_tile.bmp when MCX displayed this tooltip, BTW.
Unfortunately, this conversion did not allow it to be displayed on the roof by MCX either...
I did try to assign the wall texture again (KBUR_terminal.bmp) to the roof_tile material (which worked again), but an odd thing happened - when I closed and reopened the Material Editor, the roof_tile material had disappeared, leaving only a single KBUR_terminal material listed (along with the color FFFFF material). Perhaps this is because they now use the very same texture? When I reassigned the roof_tile.bmp texture to that lone material, *both* showed up again! Very odd. I would have thought I would have had two materials displayed, both with the same name.
Hope this helps,
28 Jan 2010, 10:55
I tried it on my other computer and the roof texture displays fine. So it is a computer by computer thing, unfortunately.
Hope this helps,
OK, that might give some clue, although it could also make it harder to fix :).
About the materials. When ModelConverterX finds the same material on different parts it will not list the material multiple times in the same list. So that explains what you are seeing, it is all treated as the same.
vBulletin® v3.8.3, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.