• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

COLLADA reader available

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi all,

From tomorrow the development release of ModelConverterX supports reading of a new file format: COLLADA DAE files. This format is for example used by Google Sketchup.

The first version of this reader reads materials and geometry, it does not yet read transformations and animations. I have tried to test it with different object, but that does not guarantee you can't find a file that will crash the tool. If you have such trouble, please report here in the forum so that I can improve the reader.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I have made some small improvements, now transformation matrices should be processed correctly. I still have to see if there are other kinds of transformations in the COLLADA format.

Country
australia
Arno, you are a flight sim hero to me :)

Would you mind placing a link to where I can d/l this file please? Searching for it only found forum posts.

Thank you Sir.

Hi,

I downloaded the latest development release (for Manfred's info: tools/tools support/modelconverterX/download modelconverterx/download latest development release) to check the astonishing news that Arno managed to include a colada reader in his wonderful program.
And sure enough, it works. Well, sort of.
The shape is converted into an FSX mdl but the object remains without textures.
Leads me to the following questions:
- the fictitious simple object I made was colored red, not even textured. Is that maybe a problem?
- when speaking about textures, I guess you will have to convert the skm format into dds or bmp. What program besides Sketchup can read and convert those formats?
Anyway, congratulations for another (proto) achievement.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

The shape is converted into an FSX mdl but the object remains without textures.
Leads me to the following questions:
- the fictitious simple object I made was colored red, not even textured. Is that maybe a problem?
- when speaking about textures, I guess you will have to convert the skm format into dds or bmp. What program besides Sketchup can read and convert those formats?

Does the object display the textures in the 3D preview? For the objects I tested it did. The problem is that KMZ files use JPG or PNG textures normally, so you will have to change that to BMP or DDS for FS. This can be done in the material editor and you would have to convert the textures manually. Doing this automatically is on my wishlist as well :).

Hi Arno,

Colors as well as textures show in ModelconverterX.
After converting jpg to bmp/dds, textures also show up in FS.
Colors however do not show up in FS but that might be my mistake out of ignorance how to deal with colors.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Can you tell me which object you used for testing? It might be that I need to check if the colour information is read and written correctly.

What object?

Don't laugh but in Sketchup I just used a rectangle that I shaped into a rectangular block and then I put a cylindrical shape on top, applied two shades of red paint to the object and that is it. It was just for testing purposes and does not represent anything. I deleted it already but can make it again if so wished because that is done in a jiffy?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Ah, that was easy to try myself as well :). So I made a little cube and gave it three different colours. But for me they show up correctly in FSX. So it should work.

Unfortunately it does not work for me.
I must be doing something wrong when exporting from modelconverterx.
I tried to export the object from sketchup with texture map and the object shows up with the right colors in MCX and with wrong colors if I export the object with color layers. None of the two methods gives me a colored object in FS.
Is there anything I need to do extra in MCX?

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

No, I just imported the DAE file and then exported again to FSX MDL. I did not do anything special in ModelConverterX.

Find attached my MDL and DAE file, maybe you can see something from that?

Attachments

• box.zip
    2.2 KB · Views: 297
Well, what I do see is that when I load the dae box in MCX I get a red/blue-grey box although checking the materials it should be blue, red and white.
And when I load the mdl box I get a red and white box and the blue does not show. When I load the mdl box again I get a completely white one until I open the material editor and close it again. After that I get a red and white one.

I noticed two more things:
- neither of your two boxes show up colored in my FSX;
- you seem to have made very big boxes (~3800 X 1800 ft).
To clarify things:
- I use your latest development release;
- I use Library Object Creator to make a Library object of the shape;
- I put the library object bgl in my addon scenery/library objects/scenery (I do not have a texture for it);
- I then use ADE to put the object in the scenery.

Can you make chocolate out of it? :)

Rob

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Well, what I do see is that when I load the dae box in MCX I get a red/blue-grey box although checking the materials it should be blue, red and white.
And when I load the mdl box I get a red and white box and the blue does not show. When I load the mdl box again I get a completely white one until I open the material editor and close it again. After that I get a red and white one.

On my PC it shows fine, but when I tried at my work PC I also got a white box. So I think I will have to check the OpenGL code used for the preview. It seems the current settings don't work on all machines.

But that should not affect the exporting, only the preview.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I noticed two more things:
- neither of your two boxes show up colored in my FSX;
- you seem to have made very big boxes (~3800 X 1800 ft).

The object is indeed a bit big, I just drew something in Sketchup. But that should not cause trouble. Do you mean that even when you place the MDL file from the ZIP file you don't see the colours? That is funny since that one works fine here on my machine.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
By the way, the display problems you have might be related to what Paul report in the thread about the attachpoints.

Yes, even the mdl from the zip file does not give me any color.
Will check Paul´s attachpoints:D.
G´night.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Next week I am away for work, if I have some time I might work a bit on ModelConverterX, but don't expect me to report progress during that time.