• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Collada export error message

Country
germany
Hi Arno,
as I mentioned in my last message I really like ModelConverterX and converted several files with it.

Actually I got an error message when I tried to convert the Collada-File of the Mannheim Castle, which is available in the 3D gallery.

The error message is as follows:

-----------------------------------------------------
An error occured during importing the selected file

Der Objektverweis wurde nicht auf eine Objektinstanz festgelegt.

StackTrace:
bei ASToFra.DAEReader.ProcessNode(Node node, SceneGraphNode root)
bei ASToFra.DAEReader.Read(String filename)
bei ASToFra.ObjectReader.read(String fileName)
bei ASToFra.MainWindow.bwImporter_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)
-----------------------------------------------------

Have you got any idea, what causes that problem? I tried to edit the model by deleting the platform and the plateau but the problem is still the same.

Jörg

Attachments

• mannheim_castle.zip
    49.8 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Apart from some polygons being flipped and displaying at the wrong side, the objects imports fine here. Are you using the latest development release?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I also found the issue with the flipped triangles by now, will be fixed in the development release of tomorrow.

Country
germany
I also found the issue with the flipped triangles by now, will be fixed in the development release of tomorrow.

You are so fast, thanks Arno. And yes I used the latest development release.

Jörg

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Jorg,

Let me know if it works now then. It is strange I did not get the crash when I tried it initially here.

Country
germany
Hi Jorg,

Let me know if it works now then. It is strange I did not get the crash when I tried it initially here.

Hi Arno,
will check that tomorrow and will report. Here in the office I have no chance ;)

Jörg

Country
germany
Hi Jorg,

Hi Arno,

good news for this model. The error has gone and the triangles are correct now. Thank you very much.

I have a second model I want to include in my scenery which causes a similar message even with the new ModelConverterX version.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Informationen über das Aufrufen von JIT-Debuggen
anstelle dieses Dialogfelds finden Sie am Ende dieser Meldung.

************** Ausnahmetext **************
System.NullReferenceException: Der Objektverweis wurde nicht auf eine Objektinstanz festgelegt.
bei ASToFra.DAEReader.Read(String filename)
bei ASToFra.ObjectReader.read(String fileName)
bei ASToFra.MainWindow.bwImporter_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)
bei System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(DoWorkEventArgs e)
bei System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)

************** Geladene Assemblys **************
mscorlib
Assembly-Version: 2.0.0.0.
Win32-Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900).
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll.
----------------------------------------
ModelConverterX
Assembly-Version: 1.0.0.0.
Win32-Version: 1.2.0.0.
CodeBase: file:///C:/FS_Design/ModelConverterX/ModelConverterX.exe.
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll.
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll.
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll.
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll.
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll.
mscorlib.resources
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll.
ObjectWriter
CodeBase: file:///C:/FS_Design/ModelConverterX/ObjectWriter.DLL.
TextureLoader
CodeBase: file:///C:/FS_Design/ModelConverterX/TextureLoader.DLL.
ObjectModel3D
CodeBase: file:///C:/FS_Design/ModelConverterX/ObjectModel3D.DLL.
ObjectRenderer
CodeBase: file:///C:/FS_Design/ModelConverterX/ObjectRenderer.DLL.
GRV11DLL
Win32-Version: 1.0.0.0.
CodeBase: file:///C:/FS_Design/ModelConverterX/GRV11DLL.DLL.
ObjectReader
CodeBase: file:///C:/FS_Design/ModelConverterX/ObjectReader.DLL.
System.Windows.Forms.resources
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms.resources/2.0.0.0_de_b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.resources.dll.
System.resources
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.resources/2.0.0.0_de_b77a5c561934e089/System.resources.dll.
Accessibility
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll.
ObjectEditor
CodeBase: file:///C:/FS_Design/ModelConverterX/ObjectEditor.DLL.
System.Drawing.Design
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing.Design/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.Design.dll.
System.Design
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Design/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Design.dll.

************** JIT-Debuggen **************
Um das JIT-Debuggen (Just-In-Time) zu aktivieren, muss in der
Konfigurationsdatei der Anwendung oder des Computers
(machine.config) der jitDebugging-Wert im Abschnitt system.windows.forms festgelegt werden.
Die Anwendung muss mit aktiviertem Debuggen kompiliert werden.

Zum Beispiel:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

Wenn das JIT-Debuggen aktiviert ist, werden alle nicht behandelten
Ausnahmen an den JIT-Debugger gesendet, der auf dem
Computer registriert ist, und nicht in diesem Dialogfeld behandelt.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry if I bug you with these bugs, but I really like and use the program ;)
Any idea :confused:

Jörg

Attachments

• mannheim_02.zip
    19.3 KB · Views: 254
Country
germany
Hi Arno,

made some tests with the sketchup-object and deleted the platform and the plane of the object. Attach the file for your information and testing. The import now works without the error but the textures are not loaded correct. I anyway have to do that with Gmax to reduce the number of textures but perhaps it gives you further hints for bug fixing.

Jörg

Edit: Texture-mapping in Gmax is also mixed and matched so there is probably an error in the mapping of the import module. If you want to download the textures I put them on my server:
http://www.flightport.info/fileadmin/downloads/sonstiges/textures_mannheim_02.zip

Attachments

• schloss_final_la_no_platform.zip
    20.5 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Jorg,

I found the crash first your first object, will be fixed in the development release of tomorrow. I have attached a screenshot of the object I get then, it seems some part is missing, is there supposed to be more in the model file? Then I should debug further.

As you have noticed the COLLADA reader might be a little big buggy in some places, that is because the format is so flexible that I am not sure what to expect when reading. But with feedback like yours it will quickly become more stable. Thanks for that.

Attachments

• Image2010-01-07 0934.20.781.jpg
    Image2010-01-07 0934.20.781.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 400
Country
germany
Hi Jorg,

I found the crash first your first object, will be fixed in the development release of tomorrow. I have attached a screenshot of the object I get then, it seems some part is missing, is there supposed to be more in the model file? Then I should debug further.

As you have noticed the COLLADA reader might be a little big buggy in some places, that is because the format is so flexible that I am not sure what to expect when reading. But with feedback like yours it will quickly become more stable. Thanks for that.

Hi Arno,

looks good but not complete. There was a platform on top of that mountain with the google-photo on it, that is missing. Many designers of Sketchup-objects do that this way so probably you will have the effect in many other objects. Furthermore there is one more part of the house, that seems to be missing in the picture. All parts of the house are connected together.
If you want to take a look at the original file in sketchup, take this link:
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=a5db4ea1024bce73669860738fc3226e&prevstart=0

If you need more input to get the program more stable, I have another object of a streetcar I plan to integrate. It is not textured at all but it is a good basis for the model and texturing later with gmax. ModelConverterX has some problems with the triangles too:
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=a9a739ee5c35b2a6a8db2af9417605f&prevstart=24
The import is working but as mentioned some triangles are flipped. Not all, so I cannot use the function "flip all triangle" :( I can fix that in Gmax with some flip normals but perhaps you find the problem in ModelConverterX.

Jörg

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Jorg,

Thanks, I will take a look at those objects. I also had the impression some thing were missing.

Country
germany
Hi Jorg,

Thanks, I will take a look at those objects. I also had the impression some thing were missing.

Hi Arno,

for your information, I checked the first object now with the current build again and as I guessed from the picture. There are two parts of the building missing and the texture of the platform, which I will delete in Gmax anyway, because I want to place it on the ground of FSX.

Jörg

Country
germany
Still some problems with the object

Hi Arno,

used the actual build (499) now and tried to convert the EDFM Castle again. Great job, Arno.
All parts of the object are now imported and the convering directly in an MDL-file works without error message.
This is the good news. I have howoever still a some bad news. Two faces of the object in FSX are not textured correct. See the two FSX screens which faces I mean.
In the third picture you find the screen of Sketchup which shows the correct face/texture (it is file texture20.jpg)

Would be great if you can find this last error for importing the object.
You can find the actual object here for testing on my server:
www.flightport.de/fileadmin/downloads/sonstiges/EDFM_Schloss_V3.zip

I also tried to import it as 3DS file in Gmax but the work with it is really a hard job. Used your great new Mass Texture Editor to rename all texture files from:
texturexx.jpg
to
EDFM_Schloss_xx.dds

but the FSX materials only show edfm_s~1.dds, so it is a horror to find the correct filename. Furhtermore all Materials are not active (marked green in the gmax Material Navigator).

Is there any way to improve the 3ds export function?

For the actual object the direct MDL export bugfix would be sufficient, but sometimes one has to modify the object again in Gmax.

Jörg

PS: Hope, that it is ok to put the news at the end of the old thread but it is still the same story.

Attachments

• EDFMschloss_FSX_screen_01.jpg
    EDFMschloss_FSX_screen_01.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 394
  • EDFMschloss_FSX_screen_02.jpg
    EDFMschloss_FSX_screen_02.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 359
  • EDFMschloss_Sketchup_screen_01.jpg
    EDFMschloss_Sketchup_screen_01.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 421
Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Jorg,

I think I had a bug with the texture mapping somewhere on the bug list already. I'll try to test it with your object as well.

About the textures, it is a limit of the 3DS file format that the names can only be in 8.3 format. But I noticed some bug recently that the names ModelConverterX makes are not always unique. I will try to fix that soon, but manually renaming will remain necessary due to the length restriction.

Country
germany
Hi Jorg,

I think I had a bug with the texture mapping somewhere on the bug list already. I'll try to test it with your object as well.

About the textures, it is a limit of the 3DS file format that the names can only be in 8.3 format. But I noticed some bug recently that the names ModelConverterX makes are not always unique. I will try to fix that soon, but manually renaming will remain necessary due to the length restriction.
Hi Arno,

thanks for the response. Hope you enjoyed your stay in California.

For the 3DS it is good to know, that file format is limited to 8.3 format. With renaming I can easily fix it. Most textures are called textureXX.jpg in the Collada-Files.

Looking forward to the bug fix ;-)

Jörg

Country
germany
Hi Jorg,

Hi Arno,

tested the 501-build with my object but sorry to say, that the error ist still there. Hope you find a solution for that last two wrong texture-mappings.

Jörg

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Jorg,

Correct, I did not analyse your COLLADA file yet. I spend most of the time on the drawcall minimizer. But looking at those COLLADA issues is next on my list (hopefully this week, but I have a training course for work for three days, so not sure).

Country
germany
Hi Jorg,

Correct, I did not analyse your COLLADA file yet. I spend most of the time on the drawcall minimizer. But looking at those COLLADA issues is next on my list (hopefully this week, but I have a training course for work for three days, so not sure).

Hi Arno,
thanks for the response. No problem, take your time. It anyway takes some more weeks to finish my scenery.

Jörg

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Jorg,

I have found and fixed the issue. In the end it was nothing with your model, but ModelConverterX read the texture with the wrong reader which gave a corrupt texture. It is fixed in the next development release.

Country
germany
Hi Jorg,

I have found and fixed the issue. In the end it was nothing with your model, but ModelConverterX read the texture with the wrong reader which gave a corrupt texture. It is fixed in the next development release.

Hi Arno,
great, thanks for the bug fix. Tested it with 506 Build now and it works fine.
Jörg