• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

ImageTool Path

Sidney Schwartz

Resource contributor
Country
us-oregon
Hi Arno,

When I try to use the mass texture converter to convert to type DXTBMP, I get a message telling me to set the path to ImageTool in the Options. I can find where to set the path in options screen, but a) it doesn't retain the path when ModelConverterX is closed (maybe this is related to the program close error), and b) it doesn't seem to like any path I try. If I put a copy of ImageTool in the ModelConverterX program folder, how do I indicate this in the options screen?

Sometimes I miss DOS. :rolleyes:

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hi Arno,

When I try to use the mass texture converter to convert to type DXTBMP, I get a message telling me to set the path to ImageTool in the Options. I can find where to set the path in options screen, but a) it doesn't retain the path when ModelConverterX is closed (maybe this is related to the program close error), and b) it doesn't seem to like any path I try. If I put a copy of ImageTool in the ModelConverterX program folder, how do I indicate this in the options screen?

Sometimes I miss DOS. :rolleyes:

Interesting,... I would think that the DDS choice would ask that question also,... where is Imagetool,... unless Arno has developed a Imagetool within MCX. I'm not locating the DDS files after the conversion, this is after I change the location. Maybe I'm doing it in the wrong order or that part of the MCX isn't completed? I have viewed the small tutorial explaining what the mass texture converter does.

I was wondering Arno,... GMax allows the placement and shrinking of the textures,... is it possible for MCX to do this? or something similar. Then the placement on the object and textures can be used in 1 texture sheet? Just a thought and the means of simplifying the textures.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Most people would do this in the original object creation program (GMAX, FSDS, Sketchup, etc.) before importing into MCX. But I guess if you have a preformed object (i.e. something you do not have the source code for) that it might be useful.

But in my experience you get a very small frame rate increase (if any at all) from converting several small textures into one large one.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Most people would do this in the original object creation program (GMAX, FSDS, Sketchup, etc.) before importing into MCX. But I guess if you have a preformed object (i.e. something you do not have the source code for) that it might be useful.

But in my experience you get a very small frame rate increase (if any at all) from converting several small textures into one large one.

Really,... how interesting,.. I would think it would slow things down by more small then 1 large one, but would it, depend on the number of small ones? Like for instance say 10 small ones to one? What would be the breaking point?

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Speaking of the Imagetool,...

My textures aren't being converted to dds within MCX... or is it suppose too? It basically to tell MCX to change within the model? and then the builder is to change the textures one by one by using Imagetool?

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Use the Mass Texture Editor, located next to the Material Editor button on the tool bar. I would think it would also have a menu item in the Tools menu, but alas, it does not...

Hope this helps,

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Last night I fixed a bug, so now you can set the ImageTool path with a file selection dialog. Should be easier to set it correctly.

At startup, if the ImageTool path is not valid, ModelConverterX will automatically try to set it using the FSX SDK path from the registry. I think that is why you are seeing that it is overwritten every time, but that is only because it is not valid. If you enter the right path it should be saved.

So I think with the last development release you should be able to set the right path and then it should work.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Interesting,... I would think that the DDS choice would ask that question also,... where is Imagetool,... unless Arno has developed a Imagetool within MCX. I'm not locating the DDS files after the conversion, this is after I change the location. Maybe I'm doing it in the wrong order or that part of the MCX isn't completed? I have viewed the small tutorial explaining what the mass texture converter does.

Both the BMP DXT and DDS files use ImageTool to create them. But as I explained in my previous post the path is set automatically if your FSX SDK is correct in the registry.

I was wondering Arno,... GMax allows the placement and shrinking of the textures,... is it possible for MCX to do this? or something similar. Then the placement on the object and textures can be used in 1 texture sheet? Just a thought and the means of simplifying the textures.

I have no texture editing tools yet in ModelConverterX and I don't think it will ever become a tool as flexible as GMax to map textures. But I am planning to add a drawcall minimizer soon that will merge different textures into one bigger texture sheet.

Sidney Schwartz

Resource contributor
Country
us-oregon
Last night I fixed a bug, so now you can set the ImageTool path with a file selection dialog. Should be easier to set it correctly.
Great! That'll work just fine. Thanks. :D

At startup, if the ImageTool path is not valid, ModelConverterX will automatically try to set it using the FSX SDK path from the registry.
I should have mentioned at the outset that I'm using FS2004 and the FS2004 SDK. :rolleyes:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I would have to check for FS2004 SDK registry settings as well in that case, but I am not doing so. If I can find their registry names I can add that.

Sidney Schwartz

Resource contributor
Country
us-oregon
I would have to check for FS2004 SDK registry settings as well in that case, but I am not doing so. If I can find their registry names I can add that.
Not a big deal....it took a few seconds to set the path, and MCX remembers it the next time the it's run.

I tried mass converting to DXTBMP format and got this error message. I've been converting to BMP so far without any problems.

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Looks like the FS2004 ImageTool might work slightly different from the FSX one. Let me check that.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I can't reproduce it yet. When you look in the output folder, is the BMP file actually there?

Sidney Schwartz

Resource contributor
Country
us-oregon
No, no new files appear. Would it make sense for me to try the FSX version of ImageTool for MSX? If so, could you email it to me at sidney.schwartz@comcast.net? I don't want to risk screwing up my system by installing the FSX SDK.

I don't want to ask you to waste time on making MSX compatible with FS2004 if that's not something you were intending to do. I can just as easily use the mass texture converter to rename the texture files, then batch convert them to DXT using the version of ImageTool I have. Six of one, half a dozen of the other. :)

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hi,

Both the BMP DXT and DDS files use ImageTool to create them. But as I explained in my previous post the path is set automatically if your FSX SDK is correct in the registry.

I have no texture editing tools yet in ModelConverterX and I don't think it will ever become a tool as flexible as GMax to map textures. But I am planning to add a drawcall minimizer soon that will merge different textures into one bigger texture sheet.

Nice! on the merge part! Ok... I'll double check on the call of the Imagetool... I think I set it to default... ;)

Sidney Schwartz

Resource contributor
Country
us-oregon
Well, it's compatible with FS9 other than that... :)
I don't even consider the ImageTool issue to be a non-compatibility issue. It just works a bit differently with FS9 than with FSX. When it comes to the big trick of making Sketchup models usable in FS9, it works like a charm. If I complain about the small stuff, I authorize someone should come over here and slap me. ;)

In the meantime it's been interesting learning to use Sketchup. I'm already fairly comfortable with it and am experimenting to find the most efficient ways of accomplishing the things I know I'll being doing most often.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I tried it here with the FS2004 ImageTool and had no problem.

Could it be that you had a texture that had sizes that are not a power of two? I think ImageTool does not like it, but since I run it in batch mode you don't get errors.

Sidney Schwartz

Resource contributor
Country
us-oregon
Hi Arno,

I double checked that all the textures were 64 x 64 or 128 x 128, so that's not the problem. It seems to be mips related. If I mass convert to type BMP, which does not use mips, there's no problem. It's DXTBMP that doesn't work.

That's weird that your FS2004 ImageTool works but mine doesn't. Would you be willing to email me a copy so I can try it?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I took mine from the FS2004 Terrain SDK. Maybe I should try the version that comes with the GMax gamepack as well.

I think today I will try to change the code a bit, so that you will see error messages from ImageTool. That might explain what is going on.