• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Sketchup 3D objects

Country
brazil
Hi, guys

I don't know if this is the right forum to ask for help about compiling and placing Sketchup 3D objects in FSX/FS9 sceneries.

If somebody could help me or just give me some directions, I would be grateful.

Regards,

José

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Jose,

Have a look around the forum, there are a few threads discussing this. If I remember correctly you need to Pro version of SketchUp, as the free version can only export to the KML format for Google Earth. With the Pro version you can export to 3DS as well, which can be imported into GMax for exporting to a Fs MDL file.

Country
unitedkingdom
If I remember correctly you need to Pro version of SketchUp, as the free version can only export to the KML format for Google Earth. With the Pro version you can export to 3DS as well, which can be imported into GMax for exporting to a Fs MDL file.
One can write exporters in Ruby for the free version of Sketchup (hint: Sketchup.active_model.entities[].mesh is your friend). So in theory it should be possible to write a SketchUp->MDL exporter via .x format. The main problem is the lack of documentation on the FSX-specific extensions to the .x format. (I notice that the FSX SP1 SDK includes more information on materials, but I haven't picked through it carefully enough to tell whether the documentation is now sufficient).

The Sketchup Ruby APIs are not particularly well documented. If anyone wants to write a Sketchup->MDL exporter then contact me and I'll send you some example code from my Sketchup->X-Plane exporter to get you started.

Country
brazil
Hi, Marginal

The Sketchup Ruby APIs are not particularly well documented. If anyone wants to write a Sketchup->MDL exporter then contact me and I'll send you some example code from my Sketchup->X-Plane exporter to get you started.[/QUOTE]

I'm an apprentice of 3D objects and find Sketchup more friendly to design simple objects to use in FSX.

But my Sketchup exports the *.obj format and I need to use 3D Exploration to open the *.obj and re-export to DirectX Model format, *.X, creating the files *.MDL and *.XML for Bglcomp.exe.

I would like to create those files directly from Sketchup, if possible, using a plugin or a script.

Could you help me on this issue?

Country
australia
Just saw this thread. Has there been any progress?

If there is someone out there that can get a Google SketchUp model straight into FSX without all the stuffing around of re texturing, scaling and positioning that is currently required with Gmax, I'll pay them $100.:D

Creating a very accurate airport or city scenery is a piece of piss in SketchUp. Just get your plan view from Google Earth and import it. Then draw some polygons of the buildings, pull them up some to attach the photo texture and then adjust the height etc to match the texture. Presto! A perfectly scaled building in its exact location. Then it's just a matter of getting the night textures done, but I remember reading that FSX is much better than FS9 with that anyway.

So, which smart cookie coder wants $100? ;)

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Humm, do I smell money :).

You have to refresh my memory a bit, the only export option there is to the KML format right? I have been planning to add a COLLADA importer to the ModelConverterX tool I am working on. As KML is basically COLLADA, that should allow importing the models and then writing them to FSX X/MDL files. But the COLLADA import part is not yet finished.

Country
australia
I think the free version exports 3D models in KMZ format. I have the pro version and it exports in a variety of formats.

Marginal wrote "If anyone wants to write a Sketchup->MDL exporter then contact me and I'll send you some example code from my Sketchup->X-Plane exporter to get you started."

Country
england
I've written a couple of exporters for Sketchup (MS train Sim and Trainz) and an exporter from 3D canvas to FSX
I will be doing one for FSX/X format, but not just yet.

Sketchup really isn't designed for game modelling and the output can be a little inefficient. Great for scenery but not much else.

Country
argentina
Hi to all
The next is one of mi posts in this forum

Bingoooo!!!!!!!!
Hi to all:
I can now do the job:

- Making a building and texturing it in Sketchup (Pro)
- Then export from there to 3DS
- Then import this 3ds file in Gmax
- Then modifi the textures: (With "GIMP 2" But if the object is only painted and not textured it is not necesary the next two steps)
- Power of two and 24 bit for re-apply them whith Gmax in modificable poly mode and polygon mode.
- And Power of two and 16 bit for put it in the texture sub folder of mi scenery.
- Then export the file from Gmax to *.MDL.
- Then get this MDL whith Library Maker and put it in mi library to use it in FSX.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Country
australia
Thank you for your post bilia.

You make no mention of how you re texture in Gmax. The only way I can do it is by selecting each polygon in tern and clicking on Planar. at least then I have some idea of where the verts are located in the model. The sketch up texture mapping is an utter mess.

I believe that by clicking Planar the number of verts is doubled in FSX as it uses separate verts for the model and textures. This adds extra load on rendering.

I create textures the old way by fixing up the photo alignment, removing trees, fences, cars etc. then putting them all into a single 1024 x 1024 bmp.

PS. I am following your instructions using the multimaterials and the model will only show one of the textures so as I remap it all looks wrong.

Last edited:
Country
argentina
I am sorry for mi poor english.
-You must get each texture with "GIMP 2" or other software and change it to power of two pixels,like this; 128x128,256x256,512x512,1024x1024...... and convert it to 24 bit and get it with Gmax like material to re texture in "modificable poly" and into it yuo must select "polygon" and select each face to apply the texture. Then you must export from Gmax the model to MDL file.
Then you must get each texture in power of two pixels and save it in 16 bit into folder "texture" in your scenery.
In mi model I do not am using multimaterial I apply each texture in each face selected like "polygon"

Country
newzealand
My method is this:

1) Model and texture in sketchup
2)Group objects that you want as different objects- If you dont, Gmax will treat the whole model as one object.
3)Export the 3ds (preserving texture coordinates over welding vertices)

4)import into Gmax

5)aNow here is a choice: If you want full FSX texture capability (bump maps, reflection etc, night maps) youll first need to delete all the textures from the texture navigator (the mapping of the textures will remain, just the texture definitions will be deleted)

5b)If you are happy just to have a daytime texture you can just remap the textures to your original texture sheets (sketchup will have exported its own texture bmps and referenced to those) Skip to step 8

6)Now make new textures defintions (selecting FSX texture at the prompt).

7)If your object takes its textures from one texture sheet, you can simply select the object and hit apply- The new texture definition will be applied to texture mapping that you did in Sketchup and all will be dandy.

If you have textured one object from two or more texture sheets, texture the whole object using the texture sheet that will result in the least manual texturing of faces. Manually apply the texture definition to the other faces by selecting the relevant polygons.

8)Add the GUID and LODs

9)Export to .mdl and compile

Country
ukraine
Guys, help needed here.

I made a model in SketchUp, exported as 3ds, load into 3DMAX8, exported with PANDA, compiled.

The problem is - the Z-axe in SketchUp became a Y-axe in FS2004.
Axis in 3Dmax set correctly i guess.

Country
argentina
We need someone to correct my errors in English.
This is the best way I've found lately

For models only painted.

1- Export from Sketchup to 3ds model.
2- Import this 3ds model into Gmax.
3- Create the guid and friendly name from FS Tools
4- Export from Gmax to *MDL for FSX.
5- Open or create one objects Library.
6- Get de *MDL into the library.
7- With de tool you are use put de object into FSX.

For models textured.
1- Export from Sketchup to 3ds model.
2- Sketchup will export too in de same folder you have exported the 3ds model, files *JPG for each texture.
You will open each *JPG files for example with "Gimp" and in image-scale you must scale the file in power of two bits for example 128*128, 256*256, 512*512, 1024*1024.
Then "file-save-as" and you must choice BMP extension and save the file in the texture folder of your scenery in X1 R5 G5 B5 option.
3- Import the 3ds file into Gmax.
4- From Fs tools create the guid and friendly name.
5- Export the file from Gmax to *MDL for FSX. It is possble that Gmax will do eny message with errors "degenerate polys" but de file will export de same well.
6- Open or craeate one objects library.
7- Get de *MDL into the library.
8- With the tool you are use put the object into FSX.
I don´t know if it is the same for FS9

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I made a model in SketchUp, exported as 3ds, load into 3DMAX8, exported with PANDA, compiled.

The problem is - the Z-axe in SketchUp became a Y-axe in FS2004.
Axis in 3Dmax set correctly i guess.

Why are you using 3DS Max? It is easier to use GMax, as there is an official gamepack for it. Now you are going from Sketchup to 3DS Max to Panda plugin to MakeMDL. By using GMax you can eliminate one step in this process and every additional conversion will make it more difficult to get things showing correctly in FS.

Country
turkey
Lets blow to dust.

Who ever finds a solution to convert sketch up models to fsx will boost the fsx scenery world as there is tons of free-objects out there. A new era for free scenery design will begin :).

Is there any progress?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I can say the COLLADA/KML support is still on my ModelConverterX wishlist. Not that much progress though yet...