• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Arno's windsock won't compile

Country
france
Hi Arno,
I've downloaded your windsock.zip and wanted to create my own library object with windsock.mdl in order to use it in my scenery.
Unfortunately I've got the following error message:

Code:
Parsing document: library_creator_xml_temp_compile.xml

INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR:  #C2033: XML Parse Error (line, column, error)

ERROR: 2, 122, L'attribut 'name' de cet élément n'est pas défini dans la DTD/schéma.

INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR:  #C2952: Attribute 'name' is not allowed in element 'ModelData'!
INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR:  #C2031: Failed element parse <ModelData>
INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR:  #C2032: XML Parse Error!  Element tree follows:

ERROR: <FSData 
ERROR: 	version = 9.0
ERROR: >
ERROR: 	<ModelData 
ERROR: 		sourceFile = C:\Users\bur\Dossiers\Divers\FSX\Objects\windsock.mdl
ERROR: 		name = 81eec038427145d2fa9fd3b972a43051
ERROR: 	>
ERROR: 
INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR:  #C2453: Model (C:\Users\bur\Dossiers\Divers\FSX\Objects\windsock.mdl) is not an FSX scenery model.  Please use new tools!
INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR:  #C2014: Failed to load model data in file: C:\Users\bur\Dossiers\Divers\FSX\Objects\windsock.mdl
INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR:  #C2149: Failed to load model data!  Does the file exist?
INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR:  #C2340: Failed to finalize MODEL_DATA!
INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR:  #C2032: XML Parse Error!  Element tree follows:

ERROR: <FSData 
ERROR: 	version = 9.0
ERROR: >
ERROR: 	<ModelData 
ERROR: 		sourceFile = C:\Users\bur\Dossiers\Divers\FSX\Objects\windsock.mdl
ERROR: 		name = 81eec038427145d2fa9fd3b972a43051
ERROR: 	>
ERROR: 
INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR:  #C2024: Failed to process closing element tag <ModelData> near line 2!
INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR:  #C2607: Compilation errors detected, compilation failed!

Parse complete!

You say in the download page of windsock.zip that it should also works with FSX.
Have you got it to work in FSX or am I missing something ?

Attachments

• windsock.jpg
    windsock.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 841
Country
france
Hi
You have to compile as fs9 object (with fs9 SDK) and use under FSX
FSX compatible doesn't mean FSX native...

Country
france
Thanks Alain,
Is it possible to install FS9 SDK without FS9 itself installed ?
The ideal would be to ask someone to compile it for me ;)

Country
germany
Thanks Alain,
Is it possible to install FS9 SDK without FS9 itself installed ?
The ideal would be to ask someone to compile it for me ;)

Hi,

yes it is, you only need the Gmax Gamepack for FS2004. I installed Gmax one time and start different versions for FS2002, FS2004 and FSX gampacks on the same machine. So you will hopefully manage it.

Jörg

Country
ca-britishcolumbia
The windsock.bgl is used in most of Don Grovestine's scenery files and some my own (Mike Mann) scenery files. Both Don's and my scenery files are available at both AVSIM Library and FlightSim.Com Files; just ZipDive! (AVSIM) or View (FlightSim.Com) to make sure that there is a Windsock.bgl in the file (my British Columbia PNW Tofino does for sure).

Regards, Mike Mann

Country
us-illinois
Hello:

I really like this windsock, and I'm very grateful to the team that created and made it available to the FS Community via FSDeveloper. :twocents:

When I recently checked the file dates, it seems the models in "Windsock Animated" have not been updated for either FS9 or FSX since originally posted here in 2006, so I would like to respectfully offer some feedback, and inquire if perhaps it is possible to post an updated version, as I had discovered what I believe to be an error when I first worked with this windsock model in 2009. :duck:

I believe that it may be appropriate for the developers to issue an update which corrects for apparent internal 3D model "face" or "Heading" rotation approximately by adding +8.5 degrees from the desired "0" reference point heading in the 3-D World.

IMHO, that would make for less confusion on the part of end users, and would bring this windsock into compliance with what I believe is an existing FS SDK standard:

"0" degrees XML placement heading is used with the default FS windsock object for it to work correctly. :scratchch

The result when using the existing 'Windsock' and 'Windsock_Lighted' models posted as "Windsock Animated" in the FSDeveloper Downloads area, is that when a heading in XML placement of "0" degrees is used, the object rendered in FS at run time does not precisely follow the FS "Wind Direction" ('Wind Direction' is always expressed in degrees Magnetic).

This can, of course, be compensated for by the end user when writing the XML placement code prior to compilation via an adjustment of the "Heading" value by +8.5 degrees.

Alternatively, if the compiled into a FS XML-place-able scenery object library, one can compensate via an adjustment of the "Heading" value by +8.5 degrees in a live-preview placement tool such as Instant Scenery, FSX SDK "OPT", Whisplacer etc..

AFAIK, there have been very few 3rd party Windsocks made available to the FS Community as an alternative to the rather ugly (but adaptable and functional) XML-place-able one available via internal FS object code.

Although some may like the option to choose colors offered by the FS default windsock object, IMHO the visual model and texturing offered by the "Windsock Animated" in the FSDeveloper Downloads area is vastly superior to the FS default object.

IIUC, it is usually considered desirable for 3-D scenery objects to be modeled with their "face" at a "3-D World" heading of 0 degrees in GMAX or FSDS, yet we see a wide variety of resulting orientations and headings for models out in the wild that we try to remember to correct for when we place and test objects in scenery.

However, most of us don't routinely fly with ambient or fixed winds in FS, so it is understandable that an atypical Windsock 3-D model heading might evade the Authors' and Beta testers discovery that can benefit from a quick, simple, 3D re-positioning and re-export. :ziplip:

But since the original "Windsock Animated" was released in 2006, I believe many of us would be even more grateful to see an updated FS9 and FSX compatible version made available in the FSDeveloper downloads area.... perhaps even including version pre-compiled inside a FS XML-place-able scenery object library for both FS9 and FSX. ;)

[EDITED]

NOTE: I observed the presumed "error" in 3D world "heading" of the Windsock Animated in question via this process:

1.) XML-place this windsock with a Heading of "0" degrees (activate object and placement BGL in FS scenery library)

2.) In FSX, set a 16 kt. Wind Direction of 180 degrees Magnetic

3.) In FSX set display of flight parameters so that Heading ("HDG") is on-screen by pressing {SHIFT+Z} on the keyboard 3 times

4.) Enter Slew Mode by pressing "Y" on the keyboard 1 time

5.) Set FSX aircraft Heading North/Attitude Level by pressing {CTRL+SPACEBAR} on the keyboard 1 time

6.) Observe windsock orientation in a zoomed Top-Down view {F12}

7.) In zoomed Virtual Cockpit view {F9}, Slew aircraft up/down/around ...into exact alignment with opening(s) of windsock

8.) Observe aircraft "Heading" on-axis with windsock opening(s) via on-screen parameters displayed in Red at top of the screen

[END_EDIT]

PS: The FS2004 BGLCompiler SDK can be downloaded in the FSDeveloper downloads area:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=29

FYI: Use of Arno's excellent "Compile Helper" utility can make the manual compilation process with FS-related compilers much easier:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/resources/compilehelper.121/

Again, many thanks for making this superb Windsock visual model available as an alternative to the FS default windsock.

Hope this helps ! :)

GaryGB

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Gary,

I haven't seen that error yet, but I'll take a look. What I find interesting is that you say the wind direction is magnetic. AFAIK all object placement is not with magnetic heading. So that would mean the 8.5 degree offset is probably depending on the magnetic variation in the region you are using.

It might be a good idea to release a library version of the windsock as well, so that not every user has to make its own. It will be a FS2004 library though, since the tweaked animations can not be made in FSX format.

Country
us-illinois
Hi Arno:

Thanks for looking into this.

I had intended to condense and edit my <...rather over-exuberant at the time :eek: > contributions to a troubleshooting thread on the use of this "Windsock Animated" in the payware "Plum Island" scenery package by Bill Womack (aka "spotlope") published by FSAddon.

FYI: The entire original support forum including this thread is archived (and thus locked to further discretionary edits), minus the previously available screenies and download attachments by Bill and me, but is otherwise still online here:

http://forums.fsaddon.eu/viewtopic.php?t=2474

Indeed, Magnetic Variation may have a "bearing" :p on the way this windsock behaved at it's default placement location at 2B2, and it was fascinating to learn so much about that aspect of FS at the time that thread was active.

Earth_Magnetic_Field_Declination_from_1590_to_1990.gif

Perhaps some re-worked versions of the info I had posted on Magnetic Declination and how FS represents Wind Direction might be considered for a Wiki here at FSDeveloper in the future ?

I'd be interested in what your analysis of the situation is with regard to the FSDeveloper "Windsock Animated" package as used in the context of its placement at 2B2. ;)

Perhaps as a result, we might also identify how end-users may make more appropriate use of that excellent package at 2B2 and elsewhere in the FS scenery building process... if indeed we must consider local "Magnetic Declination" (aka "Magnetic Variation") when placing a windsock object. :idea:

GaryGB

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Gary,

Thanks for the update. Could indeed be the magnetic variation, but I will look into it. If it is, that should be updated in the readme so that people are aware of it.

Off the point a bit, but there is a lot of interest in this particular model -- a great solution to a difficult issue. I used this windsock in the initial Vector Land Class library, but I did plan to replace it with my own once I figured it all out. This actually turned out to be far too much coding for me, but I did end up with a workable solution which gives me a placeable windsock in my FSX library, without any coding. If anyone is interested in a quick tutorial on how I did this, let me know.

Remember, it isn't a nice elegant solution like Arno's, but it does let you create your own windsocks which can be placed as a normal FSX object.

Country
germany
I never thought it would produce so such discussions when I started to design this windsock several years ago. With the help of Arno and Jon we got a worldwide used object indeed and I am a bit proud of seeing it on many places...

But so far to the past, AFAIK (nearly) all wind directions given by ATIS or Tower are magenetic so I guess the "global_winds_surface_direction" of the FS used for the macro is also magnetic. In Germany where I use my windsock we have a value of 0-2 deg so not a big difference but in other parts of the world it is a different story.

So we should change the manual and add a hint with the magnetic wind direction.

But there will be no native FSX object because all the coding was done in FS2004 asm code.

Hope that helps
Jörg

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
It's in the download section, but not as bgl, as mdl object.

Country
us-illinois
Where is da sock? that is if available as BGL with guid. Can;t do any fs9 compilation.

Hi Emilo:

[EDITED]

You may wish to review this post for a discussion of how to add MDLs to ADE's "Model List", and then directly place such MDLs via ADE:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showpost.php?p=628935&postcount=27

Otherwise, if you prefer to only use a scenery object library BGL format for object placement, one must manually add the windsock MDL(s) under discussion here to a FS scenery object library using ex: Arno's Library Creator XML utility:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=93

UPDATED: July 10. 2016

For a detailed step-by-step- tutorial on how to use the animated windsock cited in this thread, see:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/mdl-scenery-object-what-do-i-do.437568/

[END_EDIT]

PS: Feel free to explore the FS Developer downloads section; it has a wealth of resources for several versions of FS ...ex:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/downloads.php?do=cat&id=10

Hope this helps ! :)

GaryGB

Last edited:

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
No, not that I know of. It has to be added separately as an MDL file or a library object.