• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX VC's - what's new ?

Country
ireland
Can anybody give a quick rundown of what's new with FSX VC's please ? i.e. I'm interested to know about any changes in what now needs to be done in 3DS/gmax over the methods used for FS9 VC's. I hope you guys know what I mean !

Many thanks indeed.

Plugg

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Can anybody give a quick rundown of what's new with FSX VC's please ? i.e. I'm interested to know about any changes in what now needs to be done in 3DS/gmax over the methods used for FS9 VC's. I hope you guys know what I mean !

Many thanks indeed.

Plugg

Aside from the changes required by the use of FSX Materials, and the changes required in Self-Illumination, the modeling aspect hasn't changed at all.

You WILL have to read the SDK carefully to understand which options to use in the Material Editor for VC gauges though.

Also, the ability to specify a custom "lightmap" in the Self-Illumination slot has been eliminated. Instead, the same $vc texture assignment is made in the Self-Illumination slot, which basically makes the entire poly "glow bright white" at night... :eek:

...this in turn, means that all graphics placed on the lighted poly need to be darkened significantly for night time use...

...which effectively DOUBLES the number of bitmaps used in every gauge, since we need to have a "daytime set" as well as a "night time set..." :banghead:

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
OK n4gix, thanks a lot for your reply.

Plugg

Well, having re-read my reply this morning, I seem to have forgotten to mention the changes to the animations, which affects the exterior model as well as the interior, but is much more heavily used in the VC...

ALL animations are now key-framed, the syntax and structure of the XML code used in modeldef.xml is significantly different from that used in the makemdl.xml file, and all animations are no longer "partname dependent," but rather are associated to the <Animation> tags in modeldef.xml via the Animation Tool.

Further to the above, all mouse control must be effected via the Attachpoint Tool...