• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Get your background images here...

We have created a web page that will allow you to easily (we hope!) create background images for use in FSX Planner. The url is: http://www.zbluesoftware.com/fsxplanner/maps.cfm

This page allows you to specify a lat/lon coordinate to jump to, or allows you to scroll the map in the usual manner to move it around.

We have provided several different resolutions to choose from, allowing you to find the one that best fits your monintor.

The top left lat/lon and bottom right lat/lon coordinates of the image are also displayed. You will need these to enter into FSX Planner. The easiest way to do this is just to copy and paste from the browser int oFSX Planner.

To get the image you'll have to take a screen shot, and the use an image editing program, like photoshop, to crop the image down to just the map image.

Thanks to Google for the maps. :)

-Russell

How about it just remembers that last location you used? You'd have to navigate once, but after that it would just remember the location.

I wouldn't want it to default to the program folder because eventually that will be something like c:\Program Files\zBlueSoftware\FSX Planner, and you wouldn't really want to place images into that folder.

-Russell

Country
brazil
Ge Api

Hi, Russell

I've tested your GE API. It works well.

But, do you know that one (follow the link)?

http://www.ptsim.com/sbuilder/gmaps.htm

There, you can get a 3.200 x 2.400 px image, at once.

Besides, if you use a capture tool, like snagit, the image can be cut very precisely.

Regards,

José

Country
brazil
Ge Api

Hi, Russell

Please, don't forget that little detail: in PTSIM's API the image is copied to another window so you an capture only the image related to its boundaries. You do not need to use a graphical tool, as photoshop, to treat or cut the image with the risk of add or cut some pixels.

Could you make the yours the same way?

Regards,

José

Hi, Russell

Please, don't forget that little detail: in PTSIM's API the image is copied to another window so you an capture only the image related to its boundaries. You do not need to use a graphical tool, as photoshop, to treat or cut the image with the risk of add or cut some pixels.

Could you make the yours the same way?

Regards,

José

Sure. Will let you know when I've implemented this.

Ok, I've modified the page to allow for opening the image in a separate window which contains only the map. So you can now use a tool like snagit to perfectly capture the map.

This addition also necessitated changing the available resolutions. The only available resolutions are now 800x600, 1600x1200, and 3200x2400. They had to be multiples of each other in order to make the new window work properly.

You can still use the regular screen shot method if you prefer, or do not have a screen grabbing tool such as snagit.

-Russell

Last edited:
Country
brazil
Quick and smart

Hi, Russell

Very good job on background image. Quick and smart.

Thanks a lot.

José

GHD

Country
england
Ok, I've modified the page to allow for opening the image in a separate window which contains only the map. So you can now use a tool like snagit to perfectly capture the map.
I seem to have a problem with "New window". It is not filled with the image.

This is the initial screen:

And this is the "new window":

George

Country
brazil
Map size

Hi,

Please, change the map size before go to new window. They must be diferent, I think.

José

I seem to have a problem with "New window". It is not filled with the image.

This is the initial screen:

And this is the "new window":

George

Thanks for catching this George. I will fix it. It only happens for images of 800x600 resolution, which makes sense as the two other sizes are larger than the window.

-Russell

I have fixed this bug. The new window is now displayed at an appropriate size so that even at 800x600 the image fills the entire window.

-Russell