• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

ModelConverterX alpha 02 release

Status
Not open for further replies.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Here is an new build of the ModelConverterX tool. Please refer to the announcement of alpha 01 for some more background information on how to use it.

In this new version the following things have been changed:
  • Better error handling, so a more useful error message should be produced now (or at least useful for me during debugging the problem).
  • Fixed a problem that some API macros got in an endless loop while loading them.
  • Improved the way texture files are searched for the 3D preview as this could result in crashes as well. The way is still not perfect though, the tool will go a maximum of three levels up from the folder where your API macros is and then search down for the texture file. In future versions I will probably introduce a search path to make this more efficient.
  • Added more SCASM commands that are now recognised correctly.

Please note I will be on vacation from tomorrow, so it might take a while before I respond to bugs in this version.

Last edited:
Country
scotland
Hi Arno

I now see my test object in 3D preview and have exported to X file but dropping the X file on XtoMDL gives me a MDL file of 0 bytes.
I am having original reported problem with some other objects. Will hold back on fuller report until your return.
Best wishes for a good vacation.

Iain
Scotflight

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Iain,

I am still here today :). What error message do you get from XtoMDL? Try to compile from the command prompt, because without the error message I have no idea if the problem is in the conversion or somewhere else.

Also, please continuing posting bugs while I am away. I'll respond once I am back of course.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Bert,

Can you give me the API macro you are trying to load in that case? All of the test API macros I received until now do work with the last version, but your macro might contain some different code in that case.

Country
netherlands
Hi Bert,

Can you give me the API macro you are trying to load in that case? All of the test API macros I received until now do work with the last version, but your macro might contain some different code in that case.

hi Arno,
Here it is!
bye
Bert

Last edited:
Country
germany
I tested with Al Simm's wonderful set of APIs.
Same now with me... API shows up perfectly in the Converter, export to X works ok, but if dragged on XtoMDL it creates a 0 kb mdl file.

Attachments

• dhow50ft.zip
    341.7 KB · Views: 590
Country
germany
Oops, I forgot... the error message reads:
E:\FSX_Design\ModelConverterX\API2>xtomdl boatdhowsailsup.x
OutputFile: boatdhowsailsup.MDL
Output file after modification: boatdhowsailsup.MDL
Creating output MDL file: boatdhowsailsup.MDL
error : Error loading .X file: (E:\FSX_Design\ModelConverterX\API2\boatdhowsails
up.X). Is it a valid FLIGHT SIMULATOR '.X' file?
(0): error : XToMdl.exe Unhandled Application Exception
(0): error : Fehler in der Anwendung.
(0): error : -2005531760 (Unknown)
(0): error : bei Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToXmlLib.XFileLoader.LoadFromMode
lFile(ModelFile FileInfo)
(0): error : bei Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToXmlLib.ModelFile.LoadFromXFile(
)
(0): error : bei Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToXmlLib.XToXmlLib.LoadAllFileDat
a()
(0): error : bei Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToXmlLib.XToXmlLib.Process(ModelF
ile[] InputFiles, Hashtable[] AnimationLinkage, String[] AnimationFileRef, XPart
Dict PartDictionary)
(0): error : bei Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToMDL.XToMDL.ProcessInputs()
(0): error : bei Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToMDL.XToMDL.RealMain(String[] ar
gs)
(0): error : bei Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToMDL.XToMDL.Main(String[] args)
(0): error :
(0): error : Fehler in der Anwendung.
(0): error :
(0): error : Stack Trace:
(0): error : bei Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToXmlLib.XFileLoader.LoadFromMode
lFile(ModelFile FileInfo)
(0): error : bei Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToXmlLib.ModelFile.LoadFromXFile(
)
(0): error : bei Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToXmlLib.XToXmlLib.LoadAllFileDat
a()
(0): error : bei Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToXmlLib.XToXmlLib.Process(ModelF
ile[] InputFiles, Hashtable[] AnimationLinkage, String[] AnimationFileRef, XPart
Dict PartDictionary)
(0): error : bei Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToMDL.XToMDL.ProcessInputs()
(0): error : bei Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToMDL.XToMDL.RealMain(String[] ar
gs)
(0): error : bei Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToMDL.XToMDL.Main(String[] args)

Country
scotland
Hi Arno

Hope your trip went well.
I have a big error report when trying to compile my test object with command prompt and couldn't figure out way to copy to send.
There area lot of errors similar to the error report posted earlier.

Iain

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I tested with Al Simm's wonderful set of APIs.
Same now with me... API shows up perfectly in the Converter, export to X works ok, but if dragged on XtoMDL it creates a 0 kb mdl file.

Thanks, I'll see if I can reproduce the error here.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Bert,

No reply yet; no time left or was this API not good enough to look at?:confused:

As mentioned in the first post in this thread, I was on vacation. So I will look at the macro later.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Iain,

Hope your trip went well.
I have a big error report when trying to compile my test object with command prompt and couldn't figure out way to copy to send.
There area lot of errors similar to the error report posted earlier.

OK, I'll first test the other object for which the errors have been reported. If I can reproduce that, that might also fix your errors. If not, we'll have to look into them in a little more detail.

Country
unitedkingdom
May be me!

Arno,
Hope your break went well and you are fully refreshed.
I came across your new tool when researching my SCA conversion problem posted elsewhere on your forums.
I am using Vista and was unable to register your dll, however you intimated that this was for the 3d preview so continued on.
I have old scenery which decompiled to .SCA files so hoped that your tool would progress this to X-file;). I received the error message attached when I tried to import.

May be me but advice would be welcomed.

Best Regards

Charlie

Attachments

• sca converter error.jpg
    sca converter error.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 747

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Charlie,

Does your SCASM file contain multiple objects? I guess that could be the reason of this error.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Charlie,

You could try to edit the SCA file and split it into pieces so that each file only contains one object (one Area - EndA block).

I will see if I can add some support for files with multiple objects in a later version.

Country
unitedkingdom
splitting file

Arno,
Thanks for the advice. Will do that when the rains keep me indoors. I am only looking for 1 or 2 objects so must be trial and error.
Will try to isolate the larger ones first.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.