• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Blender FSX export

Hi
I want to export my X-Plane to FSX.
Problems:
- Nothing shows up in FSX...how do I have to deal with the textures within Blender?
- animations. How? landing gear in Gmax and than? Can I have for example in the model more than one mdl? A gear.mdl & fuselage.mdl?
The panel animations...Gmax same as landing gear?
Thanks
Michael

Country
puertorico
As I am not familiar with how are you exporting from Blender into FS-X, I cannot answer.

If you are using the exporter I think you are, it does NOT handle FS-X animations, materials, etc.

Your best bet, to date, would be to export your Blender model mesh into gmax, and set your animations, materials, there, and export using the gmax gamepack.

Blender2FSX. It looks useless for now. What shall i do with that mdl? I can export / import in gmax in other formats but textures etc. are lost?
I want to keep as much as possible....:D and I'm not eager to learn gmax. Anyone interested in taking my PC-12 to FSX, we can talk about that via PM.
Cheers

Country
ca-quebec
The textures are lost but your mapping is not, its easy to reasign them , the animations unfortunately do not survive and a smoothing group and uvw unwrap need to be assigned to your mesh to access the material editor.
Not a major drama , if you can model in blender you can figure out anything given time.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
To answer your other question...

...in FSX you have two and only two .mdl files:

MyAirplane.mdl
MyAirplane_interior.mdl

The textures are lost but your mapping is not...a smoothing group and uvw unwrap need to be assigned to your mesh

Hi Chuck
thanks. As I'm new to gmax you could be more specific with smoothing group and uvw unwrap?
Anyway most important which format can I use for the Blender export and Gmax import?
dxf, which I wanted to use, doesn't seem to handle textures?
Many thanks and regards
Michael

Country
ca-quebec
Hi , I normally export as a 3DS file, this fomat keeps the mapping and texture assignments intact depending on the source, my use of blender
is mostly as a research tool and one of my favorite ways of bouncing mesh between 3ds and Gmax , there are other ways but i find the mesh is less mangled.

How to use Gmax--
Very little about fsx modelling remains unexplaned at this site,
http://www.aerodynamika.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=tutorials
there are a large number of tutorials about basic production methods ,animation and export,
you'r going to need more info than just smoothing groups and FFDS is the Motherload , combined with the FSDevelopers Wiki
and questions about specific problems posted here or there ( forum members are mostly the same )you will muddle through
Its familiarity with the SDK thats the challenge , Gmax is simple compared to that little ordeal .

first download the Gmax helpfiles from turbo squid so that you can quickly see the location of the "rollouts", i found that invaluable .

PS Like Blender there is a wealth of script available for adding tools to G&Max once your "settled"
http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max-main
has a tonne , most script made for max4 will run in Gmax.

Welcome to Hell , Recess is over ....

Last edited:
Thanks. I tried 3DS and nothing showed up in Gmax. But if you say that you use that format I must have done something wrong.
Do I need to convert quads to triangle in the mesh or something else to take care of? Well I try again...
Regards Michael