• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

SODE Visual Docking Guidance Systems

Country
switzerland
Besides improving the jetway control system, I'm currently also coding a new feature: Visual Docking Guidance Systems (VDGS).
I have integrated VDGS and jetway operations into a new menu called "Stand operations". Similar to GSX, you choose a parking position and then you can select from different options available at that stand, concerning VDGS and jetways. A seamless integration of SODE with GSX is in development by the way. So you'll be able to trigger jetways from the GSX menu!

Some special points include:
  • Support for multiple, aircraft type dependent stop positions. This is defined by the scenery designer for each stand.
  • Automatic aircraft type detection for supported types (most common passenger aircraft)
  • Exact simulation of different docking systems, including failure cases (e.g. ID FAIL) and parking assessment (OK or TOO FAR)
  • System is using the nosewheel position for the calculations, not eye point or aircraft origin.
So far, I have created the SafeDock T2 model. More models will follow once this type is completed.

Here is a video showing the new stand operation menu and all the systems in action:

Regards

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
I was wondering if VGDS should come with T bar and signs on the ground that indicate which aircraft should park at different distance from VGDS.

Country
switzerland
Finally found some time to work on my VDGS models. They are made in Blender and have ambient occlusion baked in.

In the last couple of days, a total of five different A-VDGS types were completed. For each type, besides the fully "dynamic" model, a static variant was built with LODs for performance. Also night textures are included. The models are designed according to the original manufacturer's specs, sizes, etc. Behind the scenes, the VDGS code within SODE is very precise and will guarantee a optimum parking guidance in the simulator. The system even supports boxes that are placed at an offset to the parking line!

I am especially proud of the SafeDock T2S-24 and T3-15 model with the moving aircraft symbol. I think it has never been modelled before for FS.

For each parking stand, multiple stop positions can be defined for the individual aircraft types or groups (e.g. regional aircraft, small Airbus, large Boeing, etc). These stops should be set up so they match to the scenery ground markings. SODE will then pick the stop position according to the selected aircraft if it is supported.
The SafeDock types can display meters or feet.

Compilation.png

I hope you like them. They will form the initial VDGS pack. It will be a commercial add-on for the SODE module. Distribution and pricing still need to be decided on.

Country
newzealand
Jeff you've done it again! :D

So am I correct in thinking the user will purchase the pack? Or does the scenery designer?

Having been playing around with my own docking solution (thanks for the help) it would be handy to have a "helper mode" that shows a plane extension of the centre line which will aid in getting them right in the line. And also show the stopping point for different types of aircraft.

Can't wait to start dropping these into my scenery!

Nick

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Congratulation Jeff. Let us know how much is it. I am sure that those VDSGs will be an instant hit among developers.

Country
switzerland
So am I correct in thinking the user will purchase the pack? Or does the scenery designer?

The idea is that the user has to purchase the pack if he/she wants to use VDGS services. It's a one time purchase and will work on every airport that has SODE VDGS objects set up, which I hope will be more and more in the future.

Helper mode? Check this out:
SODEPlacer_VDGS.png

I think most of us know the Whisplacer editor. Since the source code for it is freely available (general public license), I was rewriting it for some time already to use it for SODE object placement. It was some hard work to understand the basic Whisplacer code (written in Java, SODE is coded in C++), but I have understood the concept and extended the code so it is able to read AFCAD/ADE files for the parking positions and added support for SimObjects.

For every parking position, I can then link "services" to the parking position like Jetways and VDGS. I also added Live-Preview support for the SODE objects, so I can place them directly in the sim, rotate them around, etc.
For the VDGS, I have built helper objects for the centerline and the stop positions, see screenshot. They show up whenever I go into VDGS edit mode.
For the Jetways, I can set the individual keyframes in the tool and see how the jetway reacts live in the sim, very easy placement!

The tool will spit out SODE xml files ready to be used with SODE.

It is still a very basic version and I am still not happy with some things, but it works when handled with care :laughing:

So, if I ever release this to the public, you could add the VDGS boxes to any airport you want. Sorry for teasing... :stirthepo

Last edited:

Bambi_007

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Wow thaats great Jeffrey.

Can I use my own modeled VDGS models, like this Sort?

IMG_1990.jpg

Country
newzealand
The idea is that the user has to purchase the pack if he/she wants to use VDGS services. It's a one time purchase and will work on every airport that has SODE VDGS objects set up, which I hope will be more and more in the future.

Helper mode? Check this out:
Ha yeah that'll do it!
Can you just open the heading box to allow for exact inputs rather than just the slider?

Great job

Country
italy
So, if I ever release this to the public, you could add the VDGS boxes to any airport you want. Sorry for teasing... :stirthepo

Thank you!! Please, release it NOW! The VDGS is highly needed in P3D! Many P3D addon airports are not realistic because there is no visual guidance! Please!!

Country
italy
I like this system, I will buy it to update my liee Scenery, now I cann't use VDGS system on P3D!