• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Using ModelConverterX to convert FS9 Models to P3D v4

Country
us-nebraska
I have been converting several of my old FS9 Models to P3dV4 using the Model Import/Export function in the development ModelConvertX version. The models convert fine for the most part except most of the control surfaces do not show. Sometimes I see strange items attached to the aircraft. Also propellers show but do not rotate. I tried using the Animation Tweaker to fix but am having no luck. However, I can get doors and canopies to open using Shift E. I am a total novice working with these model files and hope some one can assist.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Animations have to be manually updated to the right type. They are not automatically mapped. That's something I hope to add in the future.

Also not all parts of FS2004 aircraft load correctly in MCX, so that might also be a reason you loose parts.

Country
us-nebraska
Hi,

Animations have to be manually updated to the right type. They are not automatically mapped. That's something I hope to add in the future.

Also not all parts of FS2004 aircraft load correctly in MCX, so that might also be a reason you loose parts.

Thanks Arno,

Is there a way to manually map with MCX? Will be looking forward for the update in the future. Your tool is great since I can use a some of my old FS9 Aircraft that I really like.

Thanks again,

Bill

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
In the animation editor you can assign the correct animation type for each animation.

Country
us-nebraska
I will give that a try

I have tried to assign the animation type for a propeller on a single engine aircraft but having no luck. I must be doing something wrong in the Animation Editor. When I export it from FS9 to P3d V4 I see in the compiler output animation for gear and canopy but none of the propellor animation types I assigned with the editor.

Country
canada
Is there any documentation that describes exactly how to do this. Thank you in advance.

Wood

Country
us-nebraska
I am still struggling to get the Propeller animation working with MCX using the Animation Editor. Let me describe the process I am using and please let me know what I am doing wrong.

1. I select Import navigate to the Alphasim P51 Mustang in the FS9 Aircraft Folder. I t then appears in MCX with all animation working when i select the play button.

2. I bring up Animation Editor.

3. I press Select None.

4. I Select Prop0_blurred len=100 in edit box beside the Assign animation type.

5. I Press the Assign animation type button. However it is not added to the list.

6. I Export the model to the P51 in the Prepar3D V4 Model Folder.

7. I check the event log and the Prop0 blurred appears in the log.

8. I start P3D select the P51 Aircraft but the Propeller is still not rotating or blurred.

Can you tell from this what I am doing wrong.

Bill

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
1. I select Import navigate to the Alphasim P51 Mustang in the FS9 Aircraft Folder. I t then appears in MCX with all animation working when i select the play button.

2. I bring up Animation Editor.

3. I press Select None.

3.5 Select the tickbox that represents the modeled animation that will be assigned the Prop0_blurred animation tag that begins to play when the animation slider is advanced.

4. I Select Prop0_blurred len=100 in edit box beside the Assign animation type.

5. I Press the Assign animation type button. However it is not added to the list.

6. I Export the model to the P51 in the Prepar3D V4 Model Folder.

Country
us-nebraska
Hi Rick,

Thanks for the information. I tried 3.5 several times and still no rotation of the prop after export.

Country
unitedkingdom
The thing to do is try a different mustang model.
Also be aware that you'll still have the prop disc to deal with.

Country
us-nebraska

Thanks for link. I did have some limited success with my P51 but tried two more prop aircraft and could not get them to work at all. On the P51 I got it to do a slow turn but could not get the blurred to work. At least the prop is turning slowly but looks funny when flying.

I followed the process as closely as I could but I still either am making mistakes or missing something. It took me almost two hours to run through the process. The removal of all the Model part takes a lot of time and is a bit tedious for my old eyes. That is the most intricate work I have ever done with the simulator. It makes one appreciate all the hours it must take to build a model file.

Country
us-nebraska
I have converted 6 more propeller aircraft from FS9 to P3D_V4 and all work fine with Still and Slow props but none show Blurred Props. I have followed the process as best I can tell but still no luck with the Blurred. Any Suggestions?

rotorhub

Resource contributor
Country
norway
Check your visibility tags for all parts in the prop animation. They must match your animation tag. I have found that separating the animations into prop still, prop slow and prop blur worked best for me. Save them as DirectX files. Then merge each one with the main model. Prop Still first, then Prop Slow and then Prop Blur. Then double check animations and visibility tags. Sometimes you will need to edit the propdisc texture/alpha to get the best result.

Country
finland
Hi! Sorry to wake up this old thread but I'm having problems with converting MDL8 models to P3D v4. For me the propellers work with Prop0_blurred but the thing is that the landing gear doesn't, the rudder turns into opposite direction which way I'll turn it. By the way the plane is ATR 72-500 for FSX (freeware). You'll find it out by doing a quick Google search.
So could someone of you please assist me? I'm pretty new to doing stuff like this but I'm a quick learner. :)
By the way I read that the Auto assigning of animations could help in this situation but I don't know where do I select it to be in use.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited: