• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 Model Altitude problem with MCX Earth Curve Correction

Country
malaysia
Hi,

I am trying to export ramp light model. But when i do earth curve correction, the model start to sink.

Step 1:
Set altitude (10.668m) in Earth curve correction screen and altitude (10.668m) in convert wizard screen:

MCX 1.JPG MCX 2.JPG

Result:
Sink model
1.JPG

Step 2:
Set altitude (10.668m) in Earth curve correction screen and altitude (0m) in convert wizard screen:
MCX 1.JPG MCX 3.JPG

Result:
Floating ~5-8m above the apron.

Hope someone can help on this.

Thanks,
Manochvarma Raman

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Earth curve correction is for large flat ground polygons. Over the length of a large runway, Earth curvature can cause elevational displacement. Why would you need to correct for the curvature of the Earth for a model that appears to cross less than a meter of it? I am also not sure why you'd want to use the convert and place wizard for what appears to be a single model. It is my understanding that specific parameters can be set and then everything that passes through the convert and place wizard is edited and then exported with matching parameters. For individual models and ever those that are part of a library, I import them into MCX, apply my desired material attributes, assign night textures, etc, then I export individually from MCX. Finally, Tall narrow models like antennas and light poles are often created intentionally tall so elevation can be set discriminately at the time of placement. It does not seem like a light pole would need an exacting specific elevation.

Country
malaysia
Earth curve correction is for large flat ground polygons. Over the length of a large runway, Earth curvature can cause elevational displacement. Why would you need to correct for the curvature of the Earth for a model that appears to cross less than a meter of it? I am also not sure why you'd want to use the convert and place wizard for what appears to be a single model. It is my understanding that specific parameters can be set and then everything that passes through the convert and place wizard is edited and then exported with matching parameters. For individual models and ever those that are part of a library, I import them into MCX, apply my desired material attributes, assign night textures, etc, then I export individually from MCX. Finally, Tall narrow models like antennas and light poles are often created intentionally tall so elevation can be set discriminately at the time of placement. It does not seem like a light pole would need an exacting specific elevation.
The model of the light is around 1km away form centre of my airport. So if I didn’t do the earth curvature, the position of the model is offset from the original position it should be. So I need earth curve correction to solve this problem. Before this, there is no problem when I’m doing it. But recently I’m having this problem and not sure why it’s happening.

Thanks
Manochvarma Raman

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
. So I need earth curve correction to solve this problem.
I see. I don't use MCX for object placement, I use object placement software, Instant Scenery 3. Depending on your situation, it might be more practical than solving your current problem.

Country
malaysia
I see. I don't use MCX for object placement, I use object placement software, Instant Scenery 3. Depending on your situation, it might be more practical than solving your current problem.

Hi rk,
Thanks for the suggestions. It seems the Instant Scenery 3 software is payware and it cost quite a lot for my currency. I prefer MCX since i have all the model and it just that i'm not sure why it is behaving so currently because i was doing this scenery part by part started around 7 month ago and it was working perfectly for me. I don't know is there any problem with MCX or any mistakes that I have done.

Thank you,
Manochvarma Raman

Then place the model with ADE.
And like RK said, it should not need earth curvature correction even if it is far from the airport reference point.

Country
malaysia
And like RK said, it should not need earth curvature correction even if it is far from the airport reference point.
Hi RK.
If i did not use earth curve correction, the model is offset around 3m from the position it should be. Why does it happen so?

Thanks,
Manochvarma Raman

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands

It would if in the MDL file the model is far from the model origin. But I agree with you two that it is better to make the model around the MDL origin and then place it at the right location with ADE or another placement tool.

Country
malaysia
Hi @arno , @robystar & @=rk=,

I manage to find out the problem. Everytime when doing the earth curve correction, i need to type manually the altitude. Before this i was just using the preset value in the option menu. That makes the problem. So after i type it manually the problem solved. Now everything is in the position.

Thank you,
Manochvarma Raman

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
If you use the latest build you can save positions, including their altitude. Then you can just select that location later on again.

Country
malaysia
If you use the latest build you can save positions, including their altitude. Then you can just select that location later on again.
I am using the latest build. If i use the saved position, it seems it doesn't work for me. The altitude need to set manually each time.

Thanks,
Manochvarma Raman

I think Arno has the latest Development Release in mind. Is that what you have (version 1.4.0.0.60242b3) ?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I am using the latest build. If i use the saved position, it seems it doesn't work for me. The altitude need to set manually each time.

I'll check if something is wrong there.

EDIT: I tested it here, but it works fine. The elevation value is saved with the other details and restored when you select the location from the list again.

Country
malaysia
I think Arno has the latest Development Release in mind. Is that what you have (version 1.4.0.0.60242b3) ?
Yes I just downloaded yesterday and tested with it.

I'll check if something is wrong there.

EDIT: I tested it here, but it works fine. The elevation value is saved with the other details and restored when you select the location from the list again.
Yes, the values restored but I’m not sure why it doesn’t work. If I set the altitude manually then all work fine.

Thanks,
Manochvarma Raman

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
And you just type in the same altitude in that case?

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Oh, I just saw your PM Manochvarma.
I often make a small cross (two plane cross like plus sign) and choose a bright color for that.
Then I put this small cross where I want to put the light poles in reference plane in Gmax/3dsmax. Put the cross all over the place as many as you want.
I export those crosses as mdl file and use GPW to make ground poly and put this bgl file to FSX.
Then I slew and find those crosses and get the coordinate from that.
Get back to the light pole, save it as only ONE light pole at x, y= 0,0 and export it. You will get mdl.
Then I use the coordinate and make XML file then compile with bglcomp.
I got all the light poles in my airport that way. You can put your light poles as detail as you want and use LOD of that.

Last edited: