• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Is this of interest to anyone?

Country
england
A MDL file viewer for FSX models

Still early days. The different colours indicate drawcalls.

dx9test5.jpg

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
That does look very good. Are you using DirectX to render?

Country
england
Any MDL generated by XtoMDL will work.
It reads the 141000 poly Beaufighter correctly.
BGL Object Library files may be supported at a later date

I'm using the SlimDX DirectX9 library with .NET so I may be able to load the FSX included shaders at some point in the future.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Any MDL generated by XtoMDL will work.
It reads the 141000 poly Beaufighter correctly.
BGL Object Library files may be supported at a later date

I'm using the SlimDX DirectX9 library with .NET so I may be able to load the FSX included shaders at some point in the future.

Hi Paul

Interesting. I wrote a utility called LOV (library object viewer) for FS9 using DX9 directly to read scenery mdl files but never got around to updating it to FSX. Not seen the SlimDX library but sounds like it might have made the job easier!

Country
england
SlimDX is just a thin wrapper around DX9/10 for .NET developers. It just saves having to use C++.

Speed is not essential for model viewers, but reliability and maintainability are more useful if you distribute code around the world.
I wrote something similar for Train Sim 1 using VB6 and DX8 back in 2003.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Paul,

Yes, I think this is certainly interesting.

My ModelConverterX tool can also load (and thus visualise) MDL objects. I have had some users already who only used it as a viewer and not as a converter.

But I think there will certainly be people interested in such a viewer. Did you already get to LODs and animations? I got them working basically, but I am wondering if you might have found some more details about them already.

Country
england
LOD's work well, I now have a combo box so you can just select the LOD and the display changes.
I'm just updating the user interface then I'll put out a beta version.

Along with finishing off my first freeware aircraft and writing a tutorial for 3D canvas modellers, as well as a full time job - there are not enough hours in the day.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Along with finishing off my first freeware aircraft and writing a tutorial for 3D canvas modellers, as well as a full time job - there are not enough hours in the day.

Sounds familiar :). Looking forward to the beta version.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Paul,

Let me know if you need help with the animations. I have figured out a big part already, but didn't have the time yet to update the Wiki. Would be a waste if you have to re-invent the wheel on that.

Country
england
Thanks for the offer Arno, the animations are a direct conversion from the xanim file so they shouldn't present a problem.
I'll split them into "streams" so they can be run independantly.

Here's the latest - I had the ambient lighting turned off in the last pic.

This one shows a 141k poly model which took a few seconds to load.

Country
newzealand
Excuse my ignorance on this- The number of draw calls directly relates to performance doesn't it?

The reason I ask is I use a slightly different method of modelling my aiports (using Sketchup which doesn't work with 'solids'- only faces) and am wondering what effect it has on performance. Ive only really tackled small airports and using the in game FPS drop isnt really accurate enough...Id like to be able to say compare the drawcalls/performance between a cube created and textured in Gmax to one created and textured in Sketchup (then then exported to 3ds, imported to Gmax and material definitions reapplied using the existing mapping)

Looks like a great tool

Country
england
Arno already wrote a small program the DrawCallMonitor which will show the number of draw calls and polys in an FSX MDL file.
You should be able to find it under the ModelConverterX forum.

I think you'll find the results are identical. Exporting from sketchup creates the faces as triangles (polygons) which is what 3DS and Gmax use to build the mesh.

I have some experience of sketchup, having written an exporter for models to MS Train sim 1, at some point I may do a similar export direct to FSX (and TS2)

Country
newzealand
Ok ill check it out- An exporter straight from SU would be great for simple scenery models.

There are a couple of FSX features which (to my knowledge) can only be added via Gmax: FSX materials (night maps, reflection maps etc) and self shadowing.

I haven't been able to get self shadowing working (objects not manifold....presumably because they are faces not solids?) and have to re create the textures in GMax to get FSX materials. I still find texturing and modelling in SU far far easier than gmax for most things.

Country
england
Beta version

I've not had much time to work on this due to modeling commitments but I thought others may like to have a play with the current beta version.

http://cid-06b528339820717e.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Downloads/MDLReaderSetup.zip

Most true FSX models load OK although a few still reference BMP files as textures.
I've written an FS-BMP reading function so some of the old texture formats do load.

Arno - you're welcome to host it on the FS Developer site too.