• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Aircraft Reference Numbers

Country
unitedstates
Hiyall --- well, got another question. My issue is that when I add a new aircraft to FSX, I am forced to build a new aircraft list before programming a new FP with these new planes.

The problem I am having lies with the reference numbers of the airplanes changing. AFIP then sees an "error" because when the new aircraft are added, they are not appended to the previous list. Also when I build an aircraft list by having AFIP scan the FSX airplane file, it is not persistent. I lose it all when I close the present session of AFIP.

I must be not seeing something here. Once I build the list in which aircraft ref numbers are assigned, they must continue to agree with the FP list a/c ref numbers, otherwise I keep getting errors. Or is there a way to update the FP list ref numbers on the planes so they agree with the NEW aircraft list???

Help! :eek: -- Thanks, Bob

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I am forced to build a new aircraft list before programming a new FP with these new planes.
Why? Just add the new aircraft to an existing list?

Also when I build an aircraft list by having AFIP scan the FSX airplane file, it is not persistent. I lose it all when I close the present session of AFIP.
Did you save it (Aircraft \Save aircraft List ...)?

Don

Country
unitedstates
Hello Don --- yes, that was my problem. I was not actually saving the AIRCRAFT LIST....I was just saving the FP list under the FILE dropdown. Now I am saving both!!! ;)

Lesson learned the hard way -- Thanks --- :rolleyes:

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
The Aircraft List should have been saved along with the FP list. Are you saying it was not?

Don

Country
unitedstates
Hello Don --- sorry, just saw your return post. No, it does not appear that it was saved when I saved my FP list. That was the fundamental problem I was trying to figure out.

There was always the short list (the planes that were actually included in FPs) that would automatically come back up when I booted, but the full list, that I would scan in from FSX after each boot of AFIP, would not stick. Even after saving the FP list. But now I am saving both separately, and that is working. I have not lost any data. I did create a new list, and edited my FPs to agree with the a/c reference numbers in the new plane list.

Again, I thought the FULL plane list was being saved when I saved the FPs, but it was not. Not automatically anyway.

Hope this helps -- Bob --- ;)

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
When you save the flight plan file, are you not advised that there are unused aircraft in the Aircraft List (when you have a "full list") and asked if you want to save them as well?

You should be, Responding "yes should cause the entire list to be saved.

If this is not happening, please let me know.
Don

Country
unitedstates
Hi Don --- good day to ya! Well, just to make sure I was not "losing it" here, I went in and saved the FP list using the FILE-->Save As option. All that I get is two things. First a window that asks if I want to REPLACE the current FP list. Second, AFTER saving the FP list, I get a simple window that just states that "File Set Saved". I get nothing else. That is it.

I hope that answers your previous question. I get no option to, or about, saving my aircraft list at that point.

Cheers -- Bob

P.S. -- I am running the latest release. ;)

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Please set things up again, but before saving the flight plan file, save the (full) Aircraft List by itself under a unique name. Then, save the flight plans as normal.

Please send both the last-saved flight plan and aircraft text files and the aircraft file saved under the unique name to the e-mail addfress in the user manual.

Don.

Country
unitedstates
Hi Don -- I looked through the latest ver. 1.6 users manual and could not find the email address you mentioned. I did find a couple of web site references, but email address.

Please forward it straight-away and I will ship you those files.

Thanks --- Bob

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
It seems I've inadvertently deleted the e-mail address from the user manual. However, it is at the end of the readme.

Don

Country
unitedstates
:eek: Hi Don --- just discovered something while snooping around a bit. All was fine with my aircraft list every time I would bring up AFIP.

BUT, I brought it up again, and COMPILED....and the aircraft list degenerated to only the aircraft that are used in the flight plans -- the whole list is gone.

Aargh!!! :confused: --- OK, think I now know when it was happening. After I work on the FPs for a while, with my full list, THEN I COMPILE before leaving AFIP.

I think we are only the issue now --- Bob

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Bob, AIFP only includes in a traffic file the aircraft and airports used by the FPs. From a review of the code and from a brief test, it doesn't appear that the Aircraft List itself is affected by the compile.

After compiling, did you then load the compiled file? That would certainly explain things since, in so doing, the aircraft list would be replaced by the Grossly-reduced subset from the compiled traffic file.

Don

Country
unitedstates
Hi Don -- No, I did not load the compiled file. I never do.
I only load the text (source) file.

My aircraft file, the ones I sent you, contain over 200 aircraft. This is the file that comes up, as I would think it should given the system is saving it.

That is, until I do a compile. Then I exit AFIP. Then I bring it back up and the 200+ aircraft list, that appears in the right hand window box, is now edited down to ONLY the planes that are used in the FPs. This is what is messing me up.

Should the aircraft list not be fixed and persistent until I deliberately change it??? Compiling should not effect my list...I hope.

Note too, that I am using the automatic reload of the last files used mode.

Thanks -- Bob :confused:

Last edited:

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Did you ever save the Aircraft List (either individually or along with the flight plans) after you generated it, or did you just compile and shut-down. If the latter, the Aircraft List when you reload the flight plan file will be the same as when you loaded it the previous time.

If that's the case, I can do something about it. Basically, all changes are considered saved whether you compile a traffic file or save the text file. Therefore, when you compiled, the flag indicating that the Aircraft List had been modified was cleared and you weren't prompted to save the Aircraft List on exit. I probably shouldn't clear those flags on compile if you started with text source and never loaded a traffic file.

Don

Country
unitedstates
Yo Don!!! You are right. I never loaded a traffic text file. It does look like the system does store the aircraft text file, because it keeps coming up OK, until I do a compile. Note that I was saving BOTH files because of the problem I had and I did not understand why the aircraft text file kept getting changed.

I even verified my theory by going back to the Scenery/World/Scenery directory to check what was in the text files after I lost my 200+ list. And yes, they had been changed and not by my choice :) ---- so it would be great if a single save would save all the relevant files, which would include any modifications to those files. The aircraft text file is particularly important because of the aircraft reference numbers that must always agree with the same numbers in the FP file.

I am not going to touch my files until you patch this so we don't have to worry about losing the aircraft text file content, even after a compile ;)

Thanks Don -- Awaiting your status --- Bob :D

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
You lost me in a couple of places in your explanation. To avoid this happening until I release the update, just save the text files before you exit.

I am reluctant to save the text files on a compile because that may not be what the user wants. For example, suppose you loaded a text file set, made some mods for test purposes only and compiled. You probably wouldn't want the text files saved at that point.

What I'm going to do is preserve the various "list-changed" flags over a compile when the initial source was a text file set. The system will then prompt you to save the text fikes before you exit.

Don

Country
unitedstates
The system will then prompt you to save the text fikes before you exit.

Don

Sounds good Don. Thanks for working through this. The option to save what you have done is quite logical and a good feature, IMHO :D

Many Thanks -- Bob --- :p

Country
unitedstates
I am reluctant to save the text files on a compile because that may not be what the user wants. For example, suppose you loaded a text file set, made some mods for test purposes only and compiled. You probably wouldn't want the text files saved at that point.

I agree. I do that all the time.

Bob

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
In Version 1.6.10, just released, the "new AC List created" flag is now preserved until the list is saved to a text file or the user quits or loads another AC List (after being prompted to save changes).

Don