• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Prepar3d v2 Taxiway Issues

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Can you please give me some example airport Idents in P3D v2 that I can check? I assume you are not trying to change the stock files or is that the idea? The current version of ADE won't change any values - an older one (prior to 1.61 might) However please give me some example airports and I will check them

Country
italy
i'm not changing anything in the stock airports, only fixing the issue whith ade when i found they're not showing taxiways...
LSPM, LSMI, LSMD, EDTD just to name few that i've recently corrected

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Hmmm - I just checked those four in ADE 1.61 (reading the P3D v2 Files) and all the taxi links at all those airports are set to the default values - there is nothing wrong with them that I can find. There are some links with both flags set to false but they are apron links and by default they are set to false.

So I am not sure why you are seeing wrongly set flags unless you are not opening a stock airport or you are not using the latest ADE version.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
So to be clear you are using Prepar3D V2? you are using ADE and running it for P3D v2. You are opening one of the stock airports (File > Open Stock Airport) you listed above; and when you go to Lists > Links all the DrawSurface and DrawDetail flags are set to false?

Country
germany
Hi, I don't wan't to hijack this thread, but I have a similar problem.
My problem are not the stock airports, but the aiports of the traffic addon. There are 2500 AFCAD files. Is it possible to do a batch process for correcting the taxiway issue?
Thanks

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
There is no batch capability at the moment. I am not sure how easy it would be to automate it but I will look.

Sent from my Sony Xperia with Tapatalk

Country
sweden
Someone pointed me to this thread regarding an issue I have with Aerosoft Stockholm-Arlanda in P3Dv2.5 where the a/c is slowly "bouncing" its nose up and down while taxiing and I was told this could be caused by the taxiways in the scenery are "flagged" with the wrong surface such as gravel instead of asphalt or concrete.

Being a 100% rookie would I be able to fix this problem myself using ADEX and if so is there a guide or tutorial I could find somewhere explaining how to accomplish this?

TIA,

Richard

Someone pointed me to this thread regarding an issue I have with Aerosoft Stockholm-Arlanda in P3Dv2.5 where the a/c is slowly "bouncing" its nose up and down while taxiing and I was told this could be caused by the taxiways in the scenery are "flagged" with the wrong surface such as gravel instead of asphalt or concrete.

Being a 100% rookie would I be able to fix this problem myself using ADEX and if so is there a guide or tutorial I could find somewhere explaining how to accomplish this?

TIA,

Richard

Some default taxiways and runways are designed with bumps. You can open the Aerosoft Stockholm-Arlanda bgl and change the type taxiway and runway used. This may solve the problem. Aerosoft should be made aware of it so they can look at the problem.

ADE has a very good manual that explains how to select taxiways.

Country
sweden
Yep, I fully agree the best thing would be if Aerosoft could look into the issue but I would say the chance they would try to fix an issue in this very old scenery and especially in P3Dv2 is close to zero I'm afraid.

Tried doing what you suggest yesterday opening the Arlanda BGL and as far as I could see things looked OK. Also when you consider the fact this issue only exists in P3D and not in FSX I doubt there's an actual problem with the scenery in itself. Rather something is interpreted differently in P3D vs FSX.

The steps I took yesterday hoping to maybe fix the issue was to

Steps I did was to
  1. download and install ADE v01.66.5555
  2. open P:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\aerosoft\Arlanda X\Scenery\AFX_ESSA.bgl
  3. go to Lists-Taxi Links
  4. press Reset All Draw Flags, Yes, Close, Compile, Compile
However this ended in BGL Compiler stopped working...

ADE165%20compilation%20error.JPG

...and checking the Application Event Log in Windows revealed this:

Faulting application name: bglcomp.exe, version: 10.0.61472.0, time stamp: 0x475e1730
Faulting module name: bglcomp.exe, version: 10.0.61472.0, time stamp: 0x475e1730
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00024b35
Faulting process id: 0xc98
Faulting application start time: 0x01d083b957d60036
Faulting application path: D:\Install\FlightSim\FSX\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\BGL Compiler SDK\bglcomp.exe
Faulting module path: D:\Install\FlightSim\FSX\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\BGL Compiler SDK\bglcomp.exe
Report Id: 9584e4b7-efac-11e4-bc7d-74d02b813457

press Reset All Draw Flags, Yes, Close, Compile, Compile

Setting the draw flag is a visual setting if a earlier version of ADE was used for stock airports. I don't have the Aerosoft scenery but the taxiways should be a better texture then a stock taxiway texture.

Set a few taxiway links to asphalt as a test and see if that smooths the plane.

Your compiler failed because you are using the FSX SP2 SDK. You must download the P3D SDK that matches the correct version of P3D V2 that you have installed.

Country
sweden
Someone told me

"If the taxiways are tagged with the wrong surface materials you'll get a bumpy ride when you taxi."

The original thread where this issue had been discussed can be found here.

Thanks for the HU regarding using the correct SDK, will do a search for it.

Country
us-illinois
Some default taxiways and runways are designed with bumps. You can open the Aerosoft Stockholm-Arlanda bgl and change the type taxiway and runway used. This may solve the problem. Aerosoft should be made aware of it so they can look at the problem.

ADE has a very good manual that explains how to select taxiways.

Hi Jim:

I don't use P3D (yet), but I recall reading LM intended to eliminate use of ASM scenery coded features by end users.

Elsewhere, after rhumbaflappy explained the whys / wherefores of ASM coded content being used by FS developers, LM (once) seemed to indicate receptiveness to allowing use of (some ?) SCASM code with P3D.

Are we (with the latest P3Dv2.x 'moving target' of "FSvNext") still able to use the ModelConverterX SCASM-based RWY/Taxiway/Apron Surface Type converter (aka "XML_Apron_to_SurfaceType_converter") to provide the ground smoothing attribute to airport objects displayed under custom photo-real land class textures and/or G-Polys, or does P3D now make us entirely dependent upon the attribute choices offered by ex: ADE to set the airport object ground 'SurfaceType' attribute for 'GroundRoll' in a user aircraft ? :scratchch

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=ModelConverterX#XML_Apron_to_SurfaceType_converter

Thanks in advance for your reply. :)

GaryGB

Last edited:

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
As faras I know the depreciation of ASM scenery will happen in P3D v3 but at the moment those things still work

Country
us-illinois
As faras I know the depreciation of ASM scenery will happen in P3D v3 but at the moment those things still work
Thanks for that clarification, Jon. :)

I'd be concerned about the future of P3D due to its "depreciation of perceived worth as a development platform" when it 'deprecates' use of ASM codes add-ons / mods. ;)

One might wonder whether there is going to be a reasonably comparable method to substitute for ASM made available by LM to FS developers of 3rd party content (...who are not programmers). :scratchch

GaryGB