• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA Polygon creation

euroastar350

Resource contributor
Country
us-delaware
Hi guys,

I am having trouble creating polygons for already built parts, hopefully I can solve the issue. As seen in the shot, I want to create polys to fill those rectangles, but as soon as I do that, it doesn't come out exactly as planned. I've tried creating polys from vertex, bridge and cap with and without UVW mapping applied with the same results. Any ideas on how to fix this issue? I am using Max 9
222UTRen05.jpg

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
A pic of the undesired result would help, but I think one problem might be the curved geometry of the holes. Are you creating new edges once a Cap operation has been done? Max doesn't know what the shape looks like and I've often had to create edges within a capped area to avoid stoopid triangulation and apparent smoothing and mapping errors. They went away after creating the edges.

Zeiten

Resource contributor
Country
norway
Just capping a open square when the hole is not planar is never going to look good...

At least connect your verts shown in the picture below.

Attachments

• 222UTRen05.jpg
    222UTRen05.jpg
    522.4 KB · Views: 354
Country
us-ohio
Hello eurostar,
I would make sure that the hole You want to cover is clean - ie - no double vert's - no poly's on top of polys - then if it does not bridge clean - start by extruding an edge - and then target weld the vertices to the opposite vertices - if that doesn't work - try converting the area to an edible mesh - do your operation - then convert back to an edible poly -always check to make sure that You are Not selecting polys, verts, or edges - some place else in the model - before You activate an Operation - I have always found that if the max is not doing what I want it to - I'm mess'in up somehow !!

Good Luck and let us know how You make out !!

Johnman :rotfl:

euroastar350

Resource contributor
Country
us-delaware
I will keep trying to see what I can come up with or I'll just end up rebuilding the parts from scratch.

euroastar350

Resource contributor
Country
us-delaware
Well I managed to fix the issue. I used the create polygon method, but did segments instead of doing one entire poly. And it blended well with the current UVW mapping :) Thanks for the help guys.

Country
us-arizona
I find that 'skin' on a Polygon acts like 'fabric'. I found that 'Edes' act like ribbing or ribs that give the fabric better shape. If you delete alot of the lines in a Polygon, or create a giant polygon with no lines in it, its like fabric, roundy and floppy looking. If you then go into Create / Edges and add the necessary Edges (lines) into the Polygon(s), then they will take shape like the rest of the structure, then do a smoothing to the structure and it blends in nicely.

Note you can also change and enhance your ribbing (Edges) inside of Polygons easily; either retriangulate, or just use 'Remove' and then add (Create) more Edges in the directions you want and it will look nicer.

Bill