• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Avoid Using FSX .mdls with AFLT

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
A user recently reported that the associated lights were not positioned properly when using custom models formatted for FSX. We have confirmed that a similar problem exists using AFLT stock FSX models.

After exhaustive testing, I can only conclude that the underlying problem is how FSX computes the location of objects attached to FSX-formatted models.
There is no such issue when using FS9 .mdls - with either FS9 or FSX. The formats of FS9 and FSX .mdl files differs greatly. Consequently, FSX uses different positioning algorithms when interpreting FSX .mdls than it does with FS9 .mdls. That being said, the format of the attachpoint-related content of both FS9 and FSX .mdl file generated by AFLT, (i.e., the ATTO block) is identical - and does not contain any positioning data. Nothing that AFLT does affects position; the .mdl file specifies the position of any attachpoints. If a light displays at all, AFLT has done its job. The model data and the associated processing in FSX control the positioning of the attached object, i.e., the light(s).

When I initially developed AFLT, I had hopes it could become compatible with P3Dv2. That's why AFLT permits use of FSX .mdl files. However, that hope has now been dashed. Based on its recent announcement, Lockheed Martin will remove compatibility with legacy (FS8/9) technology from its next release, so AFLT cannot be made compatible with P3D using current technology - and LM has not announced any replacement technology. So, the only pressing reason to use FSX .mdls is gone.

I know of nothing that can be accomplished in AFLT using FSX models that can't be accomplished with FS9 .mdls. Accordingly, users who experience light positioning problems when using FSX .mdls should replace them with FS9 counterparts.

Don

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Do those fsx mdl files have drawcall batching enabled? If so, try without.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Hi Arno. Is drawcall batching enabled by default in Gmax or FSDS? If so, how do I disable it, please.

Don

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Don,

No, in gmax it is not enabled by default. For FSDS I don't know.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
How do I tell from the .mdl file if drawcall batching is enabled. And how do I disable it?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
You can see in my DrawcallMonitor tool. To disable it you need to recompile with an empty xanim in xtomdl.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Looking at one of the affected models in your DrawCallMonitor, it shows only 1 drawcall (not surprising since there's only one texture involved) and the word "DrawCallBatching" appears in red in the bottom status line. Does that mean drawcall batching is enabled or not?

Don

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Red means disabled, green is enabled. So that's fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.