• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Idea for export of approaches (laying far ahead...)

Country
germany
Even if the approach editor obviously contains some surprises for at least some people (like me) when it comes to more complicated procedures the results could be helpful to fill other gaps. In some cases it it could help e.g. to get a sort of framework for defining approaches for PMDG products (to give one example).

What ADE knows:
  • Fixes:
    • Terminal waypoints (name and Lat/Lon)
    • Named waypoints (name and Lat/Lon)
    • Unnamed waypoints (name and Lat/Lon)
  • Runways
    • Just the names (for other products even the runway starting points, the heading and the length could be useful)
  • Approaches
    • Type
    • Transitions (including the related STARS and Missed Approaches as far as I can see)
This could be a simple textfile and would avoid at least for the fixes a lot of typing with even more possible errors.

It's not a request to get the right format as long as Lat/Lon and other values would take the selected settings. Of course it would be sufficient to extend (optionally?) the existing list -> export function to *.csv or, alternatively, to have an option exporting to XML the comprehensive list of the Raw Data View, including even the non-compiled stock data (like waypoints).

What do you think?

Country
germany
Hmm, obviously nobody has an opinion about this. I think it's better to redraw this idea....

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Hi Axel

Obviously it would be possible to export data from ADE - for me the question is what format?

Country
germany
Hi Axel

Obviously it would be possible to export data from ADE - for me the question is what format?
Jon, just plain text. If you are looking into the PMDG approach files (*.txt) it would be helpful getting at least the coordinates of the used fixes. The data format looks like this (the greyed part is not necessary, of course):

FIXES
FIX 73DME LATLON N 40 49.06836 E 14 9.46416
FIX AGNIS LATLON N 39 48.45 E 14 45.04998
For runways it's just the name like:

RNW 06
RNW 24​

And even this is not critical. The coordinates and directions are not really necessary as I can get this from Peter Dowson's "MakeRunways"

However the approaches could help to see what's implemented in ADE. If the used fixes and the "connecting commands" describing the approach segments would be documented somehow it would be great. PMDG's format is quite unique and not comparable at all to the standard being used by Microsoft (and ADE). Additionally both have gaps in their instruction set that might even overlap partially. This means manual translation work anyway.
I hope this explanation is understandable and you got the idea. :idea:

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I have added this to the list Axel