• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA Convair 580 v2

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
580v2.jpg

When bugfixes turn into nearly complete reworks... :eek:

This time without any considerations for a FS9 version though.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Credit for the original mesh goes to Grep Pepper, by the way. I've just brought it into the next decade.

Still just 33k Polys for the exterior though. :cool:

Cooking up some XML code for opening the windows at the moment. :stirthepo

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Hmm...

580_1.jpg

580_2.jpg

The exporter spat out a ton of errors for the VC. Worst of all was a constantly busted texture vertex limit. Turns out that 3D modelled circuit breakers with about 15000 vertices each should not use the same texture as the modeled status lamps and the ultra-detailed screws. Had to subsequently remodel all the breakers and that cut vertex count down by 66%. I still need a separate material for them though. *Groan*

Let's see what's next.

- Edit:

Replacing the 3D screws it is. 108 polygons for a friggin' screw! I'm wondering what I was thinking when I made them three years ago.

- Edit2:

70 Screws. Before: 7560 polies (70*108). Now: 910 polies (70*13).

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
You could just create another texture with a small change to the specular or something. Make it 2 drawcalls.

But yes, fixing the screws is probably better! :0)

TurboCompound

Resource contributor
What kind of systems depth can we expect?

Will there also be a 2d panel? (I like to fly 2d during certain stages of the flight)

Looks great so far!

TurboCompound

Resource contributor
That's very exciting! Good luck with this one. Just a few more questions:

I don't expect the WXr in the centre of the panel to be functional, but will there be a VCockpit entry in the panel.cfg to accommodate a third party weather radar?

Will the overhead panel have 3d switches?

Country
unitedstates
That is why it's very important to keep the polygon count to the minimum, some developers think polygons are lego blocks to have fun with. In a 3d model, polygons are like spending money, the less you have the more efficient your model is and you can take those polygons elsewhere where they are really needed! A screw doesn't really need to be that detailed, if anything it should have 7 polygons max but some guys go overboard making them super detailed! Trust I've some some really creative 3d work in this forum but sometimes it's more SHOW and EXHIBITION then a model that can actually be exported and used and won't impact the simulation quality into horrid levels. When you add so much detail that your sim comes to a screeching halt, the 3d model is only good for taking pictures of it or you can say your using the simulator as nothing more than a renderer to take pretty pictures.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
That's very exciting! Good luck with this one.

You do realize that I was kidding with the "110% realism", right?

I don't expect the WXr in the centre of the panel to be functional, but will there be a VCockpit entry in the panel.cfg to accommodate a third party weather radar?

I'll equip it with this one:
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/vswxr-very-simple-weather-radar.430489/

But you can swap it out.

Will the overhead panel have 3d switches?

Discussed here:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforu...Convair-580-v2&p=897961&viewfull=1#post897961

I know all that. The question is what I was thinking three years ago when I started the overhaul...

TurboCompound

Resource contributor
I didn't think you were kidding, I thought you were saying that it was really accurate by using a hyperbole. Don't worry about the 3d switches, Level D has plenty of 2d switches and they are still one of the most popular addons for FS9/FSX. Though I disagree with the fact that 3d switches would require you to do 3d gauges. There's nothing wrong with 2d gauges. In fact, I think that they often look better than 3d gauges. Just because one part is 3d doesn't mean everything needs to be 3d. Look at the FSLabs Concorde or the QW BAE 146-100. They have 3d switches and 2d gauges, and no one's complaining. In fact, at least on the QW, the gauges are so photoreal that you might think they were 3d at first.

Anyway...
When you said you were kidding, did you mean that it's a "lite" simulation? I'm not expecting Maddog or DM BAC 1-11 Level, but I prefer realism over eye candy.

Of course, since you have been taking time out of your day to bring us this addon, you are in no way obligated to do any more than you need to.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
I didn't think you were kidding, I thought you were saying that it was really accurate by using a hyperbole.

You can't get more than a 100% real.

Don't worry about the 3d switches, Level D has plenty of 2d switches and they are still one of the most popular addons for FS9/FSX. Though I disagree with the fact that 3d switches would require you to do 3d gauges. There's nothing wrong with 2d gauges. In fact, I think that they often look better than 3d gauges. Just because one part is 3d doesn't mean everything needs to be 3d. Look at the FSLabs Concorde or the QW BAE 146-100. They have 3d switches and 2d gauges, and no one's complaining. In fact, at least on the QW, the gauges are so photoreal that you might think they were 3d at first.

QW has 2D gauges embedded in 3D sockets. This is a hybrid solution, which is good for glass gauges, but leaves no room for edits by end-users.

When you said you were kidding, did you mean that it's a "lite" simulation? I'm not expecting Maddog or DM BAC 1-11 Level, but I prefer realism over eye candy.

Mind you, this is freeware and thus can not be subject of realism discussions of any kind. Take what you get or nod politely and leave.

TurboCompound

Resource contributor
Sorry if I came off as being offensive. I was more just asking so I would know what to expect. Your project already looks very promising, and I imagine that it will be well received, regardless of the level of systems depth. Good luck!

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Sorry if I came off as being offensive. I was more just asking so I would know what to expect.

Rule of thumb for freeware: Don't expect anything and you won't be let down. ;)

Then again...I should have maybe stated in the first post that this will be freeware. Misommunication on my part, sorry.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
YAPIP (Yet Another Performance Improvement Package):
Switches before - 206 vertices
Switches new - 108 vertices

And there's about 40 of them. I'm not letting myself run out of texture vertices ever again!

Zeiten

Resource contributor
Country
norway
Don't drink to much or else you flood the forum tomorrow with :yikes::tongue-ti:tapedshut:ziplip::idea::mad::eek: signs...

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Don't expect too much in terms of functionality. Finding reference information is a bit tough.

render_OH.jpg

Don't drink to much or else you flood the forum tomorrow with :yikes::tongue-ti:tapedshut:ziplip::idea::mad::eek: signs...

Heh. Don't worry. I simply don't have time to drink when I'm modeling.