• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Do you still support FS9? Does it worth to do that?

Do you still support FS9?

• Yes, I do.

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • No, I don't

Votes: 23 88.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if you still support FS9 format.
It will set you fix to the texture 1024 max. It needs ground poly for satellite photos.
In your experience about volume of sale, do you think it is still worth to do FS9 format?
Thanks for your opinions. I thinking about that and I think I will not support FS9 in the next project.
Regards,

Country
italy
There are a lot of people who still support FS9 and many have gone back to it now that it runs so smoothly on modern machines. There many addons that make it as good as FSX.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
FS9 runs on my laptop; FSX doesn't. So should life ever force me into living without a desktop PC, FS9 will be my sim of choice.

Dutcheeseblend

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Sensible choice of supporting FS9, since there are so many free- and payware addons for it!

Country
us-texas
Nope, stopped using/developing for it when FSX came out, haven't looked back.I have yet to see any addons that make it look overall as good or better than FSX. I am a photoscenery user and until you can get the same resolutions that you can get in FSX, I can't see ever using it again.

The way I see it, there have been enough addons made for FS9, so I don't see the sense in making a version for both sims when making scenery, seems redundant and a waste of time and resources.

Country
us-arizona
I no longer use FS9. I quit when I installed Prepar3D 1. It ran as good as FS9, so I abandoned it.

The main reason was, I couldnt fly in FSX, but all my business customers only used FSX. Perhaps only a handfull used FS9. FS9 made zero money for me. My workload was also doubled as I was building for two different sims. Both are so different in the SDK to make things for; textures, models, model animation code, etc, etc, etc. The amount of work to do 'unlimited export' models was also a hassle. When I went fully FSX, I was released of 50% of my workload, and that was QUITE A RELIEF.

Now... If you only fly in FS9, and you do not make money at this, stay in FS9. Stay where you are happy. I utterly hated FSX and do not care for it, but P3D is awesome and I love it. It has replaced FS9 for me, so that is my new playground. I am happy, and my paying customers are happy. (I think you need to be happy with your work or your life is miserable). ;)

Bill

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
I no longer use FS9. I quit when I installed Prepar3D 1. It ran as good as FS9, so I abandoned it.

Now... If you only fly in FS9, and you do not make money at this, stay in FS9. Stay where you are happy. I utterly hated FSX and do not care for it, but P3D is awesome and I love it. It has replaced FS9 for me, so that is my new playground. I am happy, and my paying customers are happy. (I think you need to be happy with your work or your life is miserable). ;)

Bill
No, I don't fly FS9 either. But quite a number of customers still request FS9 version. I agree with you Bill, for aircraft it is quite a big task for both versions. For scenery it is acceptable task, not different much between two versions. However it makes me struck with some limitation in FS9 scenery.

mgh

Country
unitedkingdom
In the end the market will decide, regardless of individual developers and buyers, and then number of both are likely to fall?

Country
hungary
If you plan to develop something which is in relation with Middle-Eastern Europe, its worth supporting FS9.
Lot of people in Poland, Hungary, Romania... still don't have powerful machines which could run X with heavy addons.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
It's possible to efficiently cross-develop for FS9 and FSX, even regarding aircraft. The XML tag format for model animations and visibility code is just about the same and as long as you keep part and animation names the same, you won't even have to re-tag them for FS9. Drawbacks are, of course, that you won't be able to use any fancy material tricks if you want the model to apeear the same in both sims and you're bound by the 65535 texture vertices available for a FS9 model if you do not want to tinker with Unlimited Export.

Country
unitedstates
To put it simply: "Not a chance". I've been called a "naysayer" for stating facts in the FS9 forums one too many times.

Country
australia
Who uses fsx? Lol. Biggest joke of all time and p3d is fast becoming one too. Nothing will even run as easy and as smooth as fs9. And on limited hardware.

Anyway, with the new world textures by Sascha available for fs9 - looking far better then my fsx ever did, who wants to downgrade to fsx?

Country
unitedkingdom
FSX doesn't really need as much CPU power as some people claim I think. P3D and X-plane are probably more demanding hardware wise.

Obviously FSX is poorly optimised, but I ran it on a E6600 @ 3ghz for 6 years (I built in in Oct 2006!) and got 20-30 fps with the PMDG MD-11, and it still made FS9 look like crap.

I bought and installed FS9 to port my sceneries over to it and it looked and felt bloody awful. Also, porting stuff over takes way too much effort considering hardly anyone uses FS9 any more it so I gave up.

I understand if someone has invested $1000s into FS9, obviously payware makes it look a lot better, but not as good as fsx with the same addons.

I have a i5 4670k now, which is a year old, mid-range CPU and it blasts through FSX. I don't go complaining I can't play last year's tomb raider on an old old GPU and I need "supercomputer" to run it. If someone wants to run tons of performance gobbling addons, they obviously need the hardware to cope with it, or just turn the settings down. I'm not referring to anyone here specifically, except Jon maybe! :wave:

Simply my opinion!
:duck:

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
I want "Isolate & Medicate" on vinyl because I refuse to buy one of those newfangled CD players and my 30 yr old turntable still works just fine. I think there's probably $15 bucks or so in it for the record company, can't understand why they're opposed to the idea...

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
I think personally that this poll is for developers if they still support FS9.
On the user side it might be different story.
Anyway, it is off topic.

Country
australia
Well its a shame more haven't supported the superior platform for stable flightsimming. Although it hasn't stopped iFly from developing an awesome product in the 737, and now the 747 for fs9. If I knew how, I;d make fs9 scenery/airports untill the cows come home. But seems to be out of reach for the average person to do it.

Not sure what sim you were using, Shaun, but it mustn't have been fs9 because mine destroys FSX in looks. I did the same flight in FSX as the screens in the link and I terminated it after about 2 mins. It looked that bad. Even my wife couldn't believe the difference. And thats saying something. One looks organic and real, that other like a simpsons cartoon with no character.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/455332-finally-moved-from-fs9-and-loving-it/

Not a oom or a ctd in sight either...;)

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
I agree with you in some points. My friend does not like FSX either. He said he could not stand that light blue water. However, there are a lot of good things too. In the view of developer, photoscenery is my favorite. It is easy to make and the resolution is capable to 7 cm/pixel...nothing to compare with 4.8 m/pixel in fs9.
I think it is up to one's preference. No right or wrong here.

Country
us-illinois
I plan to support FS9 for the foreseeable future alongside FSX; also P3D in the near future (pending results of the next significant interim update).

I actually intend to support FS2002 (aka "FS8") for 'one' of my current projects as well.

I want "Isolate & Medicate" on vinyl because I refuse to buy one of those newfangled CD players and my 30 yr old turntable still works just fine. I think there's probably $15 bucks or so in it for the record company, can't understand why they're opposed to the idea...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isolate_and_Medicate

Funny you should say that, Jim, as I actually saw brand new collectors versions of classic Rock 'N Roll hit "LP-vinyl" albums by various prominent artists in a Barnes and Noble bookstore this last weekend ! :rotfl:

Hmmm... now that I think of it, just where exactly did I put my old copies of the FS2000 and FS98 SDK's.... :stirthepo :laughing:

GaryGB

Last edited: