• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

When the solution to a problem makes you feel stupid

Country
unitedstates
I can't remember exactly what i am trying to do to a Gmax part but i remember clicking on the part over and over and the thing i forget i am trying to do will not work because the part is grouped with others.:banghead: And know i feel stupid because I forget what that is exactly and i come across this issue all the time....:rotfl:

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
My latest was why does my new custom GPS not turn on?
You must right click the power button or use the wheel since the power button has brightness controls and left click only turns the switch off!
i re installed the aircraft thinking the power button was broken.....

Country
us-california
What have I done wrong? What could I have possibly done wrong? This doesn't make any sense!

Oh. A darn typo in the file name. Gets me every time.

Country
australia
Maybe this matches the thread title or maybe it falls into the category of why didn't I do this earlier.

For years now I would backup the current project I was working on by dragging and dropping the folder onto my backup HD. Naturally windows would ask me if it was OK to merge the folders. Yes. Then it would ask me if it was OK to overwrite this file. Yes and do it for all the rest too. Then it would ask me about the next folder and so on and so forth. Drove me bloody insane.

So a few days ago I thought bugger this for a joke, I'm going to write a batch file to do this backup for me so I don't have to keep telling this stupid computer that it is OK for it to do what I asked it to do. 5 minutes later the batch file is done and a shortcut sent to the desktop. Now all I need do is double click on the shortcut and off it goes making two backups (to two separate HD's) without ever asking me if it is OK. Bloody brilliant and why the hell didn't I do this years ago?

Country
us-california
There's a story behind this one...I'm sure the victim will come forward with the tale soon! :D

gmax-poster-jpg.9152

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Hours of experimentation on a turboprop, always wondering why the stupid APU would not start.

Google. A single forum post somewhere on page 2. Aircraft.cfg.
Code:
[Auxiliary Power Unit]
available = 1

My reaction was akin to Kirk: "ACEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!"

Zeiten

Resource contributor
Country
norway
My two for today.

Q: Hey, why won't any verts weld together when I press the weld button.
A: Threshold weld was set to 0.

Q: Hey, what happened to my Internet.
A: Fooling around with differential brakes (F11-F12) I accidentally disabled the wifi..

Country
unitedstates
Found out i had mipmaps on in DXTBMP and since i keep the window small this info area hides. The last 3 projects or more have blury textures and i thought they looked a bit weird this year as i kept increasing my mapping scale. I have been spending all weekend re exporting 3 entire projects.:tapedshut

Country
spain
talking about Dxtbmp, something that "was" very usual is to forget to flip the texture before export. the obeject look very weird in Fsx, and initially I opened max, and retextured again even.
.. but the list could be endless, I try to forget this as son as posible.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Speaking of "flipping vertical" for .dds textures, as many of you know one can set a flag on the NVidia exporter to automatically "flip vertically" when saving...

All is well until one day you de-select that option for some reason, then forget to re-select it again! Talk about chasing your own tail! :confused:

Zeiten

Resource contributor
Country
norway
Speaking of "flipping vertical" for .dds textures, as many of you know one can set a flag on the NVidia exporter to automatically "flip vertically" when saving...

All is well until one day you de-select that option for some reason, then forget to re-select it again! Talk about chasing your own tail! :confused:

Well, gauge light map does not need to be flipped.
That makes sense..after scratching my head over and over again.

Now the flag in the exporter is ticket off ATM, so only time will tell if I remember to tick it on again when exporting a normal map :D

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany

That option is nonexistent in the DDS exporter for GIMP, so it's impossible for me to run into this. :D

Dutcheeseblend

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
That option is nonexistent in the DDS exporter for GIMP, so it's impossible for me to run into this. :D

I don't even use that exporter, I convert my jpgs or pngs using Arno's Texture Converter.
Well, sometimes forget to hit 'Convert Normalmap to FS'... What a strange bumping is that!! Gets me to reconvert AND convert the normalmap, unload my plane and reload it a bit later :S

Wow, my .mdl exporter is finished withing seconds! Hmm, switch to FSX!
Ah, I only selected the main panel! And I always check 'Export Selection' but apparently I did only select the panel that moment.

Zeiten

Resource contributor
Country
norway
Craziest shit today.

Working on lighting up the virtual cockpit the last days using two textures and two parts with visual conditions.
Somehow, when I cloned one part and aligned it to the original one the animation of the "lighted" object disappeared.
Deleted the animation, made new animation and tagged it.
That worked on some of the parts, but not all.
After some back and forth I moved the cloned object a little bit away from the original one and that sort out all problems.
The animation worked, all part disappeared and appeared as they should, but as soon as they where aligned again the cloned object would not disappear and block of the "lighted" object.

Scaling down the cloned object sorted everything out.
Guess it would have worked using reset X-form as well, but so sick and tired now....and down want to animate everything again.
Gotta love Max and FSX :p

Edit, adding reset X-form and reset scale made no difference.
Only mowing the object slightly away or scaling it down working.

Last edited: