• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA Ground Polygons - Multiple Layers in one BGL (ASM)

Country
algeria
Hi guys,

(First, I wanna say sorry if my thread is putted in wrong forum, if so please move it to the right place)

I'm wondering if one BGL compiled using ASM source codes is able to contain different layers of Ground Polygons (GP) by tweaking them?? I know we can specify layers to each texture of the model in ModelConverterX, this is in SCASM, also ModelConverterX tweaks automatically the SCASM source code. But ASM is different, I think we are only able to specify one layer to the entire object, but not to each texture like in SCASM technique. I read many threads on the forum and on the Wiki about something like this, but it seems I will be able to create one BGL per layer, right ?

What I want to do is to export my entire Ground from GMax to one BGL using ASM not SCASM.

Any help is great, thank you.

Country
algeria
Hi,

I read a tutorial here on the WIKI: http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=Ground_polygons_(ASM_tweak)
and found how to use multiple layers in one BGL ASM, like 20, 24 and 28 together...etc

Now one problem fixed! However I'm facing another problem. There is some simple flickering on the ground polygons I've exported, because of the BGL compiled from .ASM source code doesn't split its polygons up into 100m like ModelConverterX does tweak the SCASM source code, and you know that splitting polygons up into 100m x 100m square is very important for the curvature of the earth, especially when you export to FSX. I'm having a Photo-Real ground polygon each polygon in about 500m or 600m for width and length, I don't remember exactly, but anyway, I really need to split my polys up into 100m each.

So, if you guys know that way I'm looking for please point me to the right way to split my polygons in "GMax/3ds Max" automatically, or you show me how to tweak ASM source code one more time to get splitted polygons.!!

Thank you so much, !

Country
us-illinois
Hi Dayou:

Now that you have a BGL containing multiple layers of G-Polys compiled from *.ASM source code, is that BGL able to be imported into ModelConverterX ? :scratchch

FYI: Arno and others here have previously reported over the years that there is essentially 'no difference' in the final output computer code which is written into certain types of MSFS FS2Kx legacy-format terrain scenery BGL files after compilation, regardless of whether that type of BGL is compiled via BGLC, BGLC_9, SCASM etc..

If you are able to import your BGL containing multiple layers of G-Polys compiled from *.ASM source code into MCX, is there a reason you would not want to use the provided "G-Poly wizard" to segment your G-Polys into 100 Meter sub-components ?

IIUC, the resulting *.SCA output file when compiled to BGL via SCASM should provide essentially the same computer code and MSFS run time display of content for the terrain scenery BGL as the *.ASM / BGLC routine would, so I'm curious as to whether you may have found some particular reason for working via the *.ASM method to create your G-Polys.

Thanks in advance for sharing your insights with us here. ;)

Hope this might otherwise be of some help with your workflow on this project. :)

[EDITED]

PS: Some "potentially pertinent" info:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/importing-ground-poly-bgl-files-into-ade.430995/

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/attachments/ade-gp-user-manual-pdf.15748

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/fsxa-custom-gp-flicker.427137/

[END_EDIT]

GaryGB

Last edited: