• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX prepar3d SDK used in FSX

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi

Would just like to ask has anyone here been using the prepar3d SDK (not version2), 3dsmax and FSX. I have been exporting the .X file then running it through Model Converter X to get the mdl. I have noticed some issues when using the exported .x file, the .x file is smaller in size 1.76mb, compared to 2.26mb from Gmax and it gives some strange results with transparency within FSX.

Will the .X file from 3dsmax using the prepar3d SDK give a different output that that from Gmax FSX SDK??

thanks

Stevo ;)

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
89D8b0.jpg

The .X files from FSX and P3D exporters are reportedly identical. Gmax doesn't leave an .X file exporting to FSX. MCX isn't a full-blown FSX compiler (yet) so I'm not surprised the .mdl is different sized to that from XtoMDL.

Country
unitedkingdom
Yeah thats what I thought, but there seems to be something odd happening when using an X file from the prepar3d SDK then running it through MCX, (MCX just uses the same compilers so if I export an FSX mdl MCX is set to use the FSX xtomdl.exe resulting in a FSX mdl....) or compiling directly using xtomdl.exe.

Heres what happens when using an X file exported from 3dsmax prepar3d SDK and running it through MCX (using FSX xtomdl.exe to get the mdl)....The wall has a transparency issue when looking through the canopy of the aircraft, but you can see the left hand aircraft is fine (until I move the view), both aircraft are the same AI aircraft and we know it isnt the aircraft because I had other transparecy issues in the same manner but on different buildings not involving an aircraft.

here is what happens straight from Gmax....no transparency issue at all....

The X file from 3dsmax is 1.76mb, Complied to mdl it is 606kb, ran through MCX and exported again as an .X file it gives a file size of 1.76mb same as it was originally.

The mdl file from Gmax is 831kb, imported then exported straight back out of MCX as a .X file gives a file size of 2.24mb certainly not the same, this X file recompiled to an MDL using MCX runs fine....

Both Gmax and MCX are using the same xtomdl.exe in the same folder, this leads me to think there is something missing or different in the X file itself?? The model has exactly the same amount of information in both Gmax and 3dsmax?

I thought the X file from 3dsmax would have compiled fine through the FSX xtomdl.exe but I cant get it to work properly.

;)

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
it does the same if I also try compiling using the v1.4 xtomdl.exe which is why I tried the FSX xtomdl.exe instead...

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Very odd. I'd compare material settings for the Gmax model versus material settings for the 3ds Max version again – there are rather a lot of them in an FSX material

Country
unitedkingdom
Ahhh, the image you posted give away what was possibily wrong...the V2.4....I didnt realise there was a new prepar3d SDK v2.4?, I was using v2.0 SDK to export the X file. I just installed and tried v2.4, compiling it through v1.4 xtomdl.exe and that worked first time....it certainly didnt work using V2.0 SDK though the V1.4 xtomdl.exe or V2.0 SDK through the FSX xtomdl.exe well it did compile but I got the strange oddity....

Thanks ;)

Last edited:

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
All of these freaking SDKs are going to be the death of us yet, mark my words! :banghead:

Country
unitedkingdom
Just off topic a bit, when using xtomdl.exe are the LODs automatic? Or do I have to do something?? The LODS on my models are not working now using V1.4

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
If you are still using MCX and setting drawcall batching to YES, then LOD's are inactivated. Can't have both.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
sorry no, I mean directly dropping the X file onto xtomdl
As you now know, drag-n-drop to XToMDL.exe is contra-indicated. Without the proper flags being passed to this command line utility, only the .x file's mesh is created.

The only "exception" to the above is Shaun's custom XToMDL.exe that has a GUI included.