• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Experimenting with new Modelling technique

Country
mexico
:D:D:D

Bill, thanks a lot for the head up. It's sound like a plan for me!!! :idea: :idea: :laughing: :laughing:
Once there, I will extrude polygons to give the interior more thickness.
And you're right, in photos all doors have interesting changes in shape and therefore, volume. ;)

As always, thank you all for your kind words and advice.
Best regards,
Sergio Kauffman.

Country
us-arizona
Sergio,

If your Helo has sophisticated door sills, you might think about 'Sweep'. You can extrude a shape opening in the door edge. Select the Border, door opening, 'Create Shape' and that will be your path. Then create a Line that will be the shape (cross section) of the door sill (shape of the sill). Then make a Sweep with the path and add the 'Line' shape and then adjust it till it fits. Its not an easy process, and you will still need to create a interior and then join (some how) the interior sides with the new, cool door sills, but its possible. I intend to do this soon.

You can also always Chamfer the sills as well. Just get rid of all 45 degree angled Edges on the door edges or they will mess up the Chamfer. If you are using 3DS Max, the Chamfer is much nicer then Gmax. Also, use the Chamfer that is adjustable, (small square button), and add it to 3 or 4 edges in the Chamfer for a super nice, smooth edge.

Bill

Country
mexico
Bill

Indeed she have those sills. I will try this great tip for those; and as I am using Gmax I will try the Chamfer. :idea: :idea: :idea: :scratchch :scratchch :scratchch

Today I'm still trying to make work the exterior and cabin models smashing my head on how to do the polygon account to minimum. I am worried because the overall account now is as follows. Polygonss: 13669; Vertices: 13410. As you teach me a few weeks ago, I will use the ULE method for LODS and multimodeling this project. Believe it or not, for me the :censored: fuselage shape was a big head ache. I loose it when I have reached the 100th time redoing it from scratch... :tapedshut :tapedshut :tapedshut Fortunately, now I have what you've seen yesterday.

As you told me last night, this will be one more challenge to tackle; I am working to sloooooowwwwww because Gmax wants to crash from time to time. I will do "poly" modeling technique by "shifting" and dragging" edges to create the interior (Gmax does not have Shell modifiers -as far as I know).

Once again, thank you for being so patient with me and above all, for teaching me all these interesting things.
Kindest regards,
Sergio Kauffman.
:wave:

Last edited:

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Try cloning the exterior fuselage, then flipping the normals, followed by extruding negatively.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Unfortunately Sweep is not available in Gmax (nor the Shell modifier). Lofting is another option, but usually is accompanied by screams from other modellers running as far away as possible. As n4gix says, and either extrude polys after flipping or use a Face Extrude modifier on them.

Lots of interesting ideas in this thread, not all of them restricted to very recent versions of 3ds Max! :cool:

Country
mexico
Hello Lads

As many of you like, I will use your artistic names from now on! :rolleyes:

@ Mr. n4gix and Mr. Hairspin
Thanks for the head ups, all of those are very welcome. Now, back to work, I don't want to waste your time with questions without doing my best effort!

Sergio.
;)

Country
us-arizona
Antaris; When you go to extrude the interior, make sure 'Local' is ticked on. Local is just under the Extrude button. That way, they should extrude inwards nicely and evenly. (hopefully). If they do not, extrude them just a very small amount, then select one side of interior polygons, move them inwards with Move tool, and repeat for the other side.

Country
us-arizona
I Chamfered my interior canopy structure and cabin opening the other day. I took out the odd angle lines to enable it to Chamfer better. I then put in some lines in the corners to help keep it smooth.

eqkbnoqer.JPG

Country
us-arizona
This is a short tutorial (very short) that shows you the basics of how Nurms (or TurboSmooth) works in Max. Figure this, when Nurms (TS) is on, one Iteration = 4 grids added to your mesh with (with) rounded edges. With 2 Iterations, you have 16 grids added to your mesh. Thats quite a few, but if your 'base' mesh is 'very' simple, this should be a normal 'modern' smooth model.

The way you 'control' a radius curve along an edge is to add a secondary edge beside it, on both sides. So a corner that must have say a 1/2 inch curve in the edge corner, then you would have an edge added to each side of the corner 1/2 inch away. So then when you click on Nurms to active, you will see a 1/2 inch 'curved' radius along that edge. The secondary edges are the 'controls' for working your curved edges. Bring them very very tight against the original for a 'sharp' edge.

Tutorial;

Country
us-arizona
Here is another tutorial that shows some very good techniques on basic model/Nurms modelling. This is a car seat and it has several parts. You might fast forward in some area's. The person that did it is Mam-B. Look for the other parts. near the end, it is best, as it shows how he makes the Seams edges of the seat and also adjusts the sides.

Country
us-arizona
These are some screenshots of a Maserati seat. I am posting the pics of it here to show you the base model and the finished version to show you how well it turns out. Incredible stuff.

Note how the seam of the leather along the thigh support is a very tight Extrusion inwards which when smoothed gives him the exact look he needs for a seam line/edge.

Same with the little handle clasp on the front side edge, plastic pull handle. Note the version in the basic mesh, how he controls its shape with secondary edges in it.

I wonder how they are doing the stitchings?

Attachments

• aeteqtb.JPG
    aeteqtb.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 464
  • etjary.JPG
    etjary.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 413
  • tedhstyk.JPG
    tedhstyk.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 420
  • tuedumk.JPG
    tuedumk.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 419
Country
mexico
Hello lads!

@ Mr. n4gix
WOW!!! That mesh in the window, shows how a professional thinks: Clean, neat and fluid topology! Wonderful...
Though I know the theory on how polys and triangles "should" be clustered in a mesh, for me this an art which the The Wizard enhances his modeling techniques with years of experience.

Therefore, and taken from the last videos and pictures the key words for me are: Control loops.

Does The Pinball Wizard reminds you something? To me, yes :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Thank you all, my dearest wizards.
Sergio.
;)

Last edited:
i'm intrigued by the difference in the seam between the first back supporting extrusion/bevel, and the next one, compared to the seams above that.

Country
us-arizona
i'm intrigued by the difference in the seam between the first back supporting extrusion/bevel, and the next one, compared to the seams above that.

He must have needed a control set to keep it flat since it was smaller then the others. Dont know.

worked some hours on the rear surface of the mini model this weekend. I'm starting to get the hand of the process of insetting polys, extruding and moving the inner poly, as it works with turbosmooth. That's how I made the two indentations in the back, and the door handle recess. Its a simple process, and makes cool looking shapes.nearly complete with the rear of the mini.jpgnearly complete with the rear of the mini-mesh.jpg

Country
us-arizona
I learned how you can select the interior of a Shell cabin 'only' when the interior and exterior are one piece. Go to Polygon mode, at the top of the object Polygon mode section, where it says 'Select By', click on Angle. Then click a polygon inside the craft and the entire interior should lightup selected. If only half does, then select the other side also, holding down Control button and selecting another polygon. You should then have the entire Cabin selected. Click 'Detach' and name it Cabin.

If you want the Sills also and you want them 'with' the cabin, then when the cabin is selected, click 'Grow' and the sills should light up as selected. Detach and save as Cabin. It might be better to select the Sills separately (as one piece, all sills being one part), and detach and save. It would make it easier to map as well.

Nice find. You learn so much from all those tutorials in YouTube.

Country
us-arizona
I experimented with Paint Deformation today with Max. I have been seeing it with the tutorials by Arrimus on YouTube (where he sometimes uses Z-Brush for bending mesh with 'paint brushes' ). Well, I remember seeing something on this in Max. I was watching a cool tutorial by Arrimus on making cloth. He creates a cloth hoodie for a person model and explains it. He started in Max, but ends in ZBrush. But... Max, has this ability, be it very basic. We can 'paint' deformations onto a mesh via 'Push/Pull'. If you go into Polygon mode on an Editable Poly, at the very bottom is Paint Deformation. Set brush size, turn on Push/Pull, set a value for amount you will push or pull (positive or negative, adjust amount), and start experimenting.

I am so wanting to try this on some seats, some mild folds in corners, etc. Oh man...!!

eriooqei.JPG

Couldnt you see this on an old Piper Comanche headliner, old plane, sitting in the weather for ever, fabric all aged and no longer tight.

Country
us-arizona
I got a chance to do some 'Paint Deformation' on my seats in the Rutan Q200.

awrytarynary.jpg

Seats arent done yet. Experimenting on the arm rest pads.

aethartgn.JPG

Seats done. Happy with the results.

You must be careful not to overdo it.

Set brush diameter / size to fit the area you are indenting. Set for a 'negative' number on indentions, positive number for protrusions. Set power really low. 1.0 is too strong. I used 0.3. Experiment. Also use 'Relax' later to loosen up the mesh if you like.