• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Blender to FSX Toolset

Dutcheeseblend

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Yes, I get that log message when I export a 'sound' model. But Blender entirely freezes upon the moment I hit Enter. So really nothing is being displayed and the progress has until now taken too long every time to complete.

I discovered tonight that every part is being exported nicely. Only combination of the aforementioned VC1 objects seems to be killing. Just wondering: might it be something in the modeldef.xml that not everything a certain part of the code needs from the model, is available. Hmm, I also stated that it doesn't export without .mdl too...

Country
canada
I don't see any limiting values that block the tool from continuing to process. It only parses the modeldef.ml file but don't know if there is any issue with it. it process materials and textures as dds files blender images. Without knowing at what point is stops processing. Don't know what to tell you. Capt_x has put in a comment that says a part is not optimized and may be too slow. Maybe a memory issue.

or do you have an unsupported feature

Unsupported features:
  • Detail texture slot not available TODO.
  • Fresnel ramp texture slot not available TODO.

Dutcheeseblend

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Well, I was thinking of a memory issue too, but I don't know that much of underlying hardware things to draw a conclusion. The really strange thing is, that once I try to export my denmark_vc file to .x and .mdl, it would never finish, but immediately reloading Blender and exporting dutch_vc works without problems. And vice versa. There's no logic for me.

No, I don't use the unsupported features. Instead of what I thought before, the vertex number isn't higher but even lower than the dutch_vc model. I removed all unused and double materials, removed all unused and double images, but no joy.

I'll keep on trying ;) Thanks anyway for your input, I'm sorry it didn't really help. I was thinking of sending you the specific file, but eh, well, I don't feel comfortable with sending the source stuff to others you know ;)
Maybe it will work with the new B2.72?

Regards!

Country
canada
I am willing to help if you find yourself with no other option. I have done some work for Bill (Lionheart). Send me a PM if you change your mind. I understand your reluctance.

Have you tried striping out parts of it and see if say 1/2 exports. Perhaps you can isolate the "part" that is giving you trouble.

Country
canada
Capt_x,

Is there a way to get the log to write to a file? If I use the console the log information is truncated. meaning that only the last 50 lines or so are kept, when the log could be 100's. The log is only a print command, can it be modified to be something like. not really a blender python expert.

import sys
file = open(filepath,"w")
sys.stdout = file
#...#...
sys.stdout = sys.__stdout__ #reset
file.close()

Dutcheeseblend

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Really strange. Ron's PC compiles the file in 30-40 seconds, like another file (Dutch VC) would do at my laptop, but the 'affected' is already compiling 25 minutes now. Think of it: until mid-august, I could compile this very file without any hassle.

Any suggestion might be useful. I hope the logwriter will shine its light on the problem. It couldn't be RAM, I've got 8GB of it and other files run smoothly.

I'm thinking of creating a new .blend file, append all objects from the affected file and give it a try.

Dutcheeseblend

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I'm thinking of creating a new .blend file, append all objects from the affected file and give it a try.

Believe it or not, it works! Compiled the file in no-time! :confused:o_O:):D
But I'm still very very curious on what might have caused the delay in the original file. :banghead::banghead:
I believe the affected file was even a copy from a 'healthy' file, changed only some mesh, textures, Friendly and GUID.

Country
canada
I have created a version of the toolset that has a crude log file capabilities. It writes a log to the .blend file folder - so hopefully anyone that wants to use it can have the log - if you have blender in the C drive windows likes to block anything written there.

Only files affected are in the zip. Make sure you make a backup of the toolset - as I have updated things here and there. Use at your own risk as a last resort.

Edit 2014-10-13
updated to place BlenderFSXlog.txt file in same folder as blend file

Edit 2014-11-18
update pulled - due to new version and new licensing. PM me if you would like a copy, but it will not be as up to date as the original from page 1 of this thread.

Last edited:

krispy1001

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Hi Everyone!

I do not know if anyone has upgraded to Blender 2.72 yet. When you do, don't panic when you do not see the FSX Tools in the Tools window. They have been moved to a tab called Misc. in the tool window.

fsxToolsBlender272.png

Thanks, Krispy1001

Dutcheeseblend

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Yes, it's there. I thought the toolset would be updated with a seperate, special tab 'FSX Tools' but that's not implemented yet.

Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Capt_x, any chance fresnel ramps will be added soon? I had been using these in Gmax for gauge lighting using the same materials used for the new style landing lights.

Country
spain
Hey, cool UI, is there any way to work with Gmax and blender toghether.
By the way the thread Archives/Blender 2Fsx toolset manual , not work Dutcheeseblend.
Edit: I noticed right now it's a discussion thread, I get access to the manual there, no problem

Last edited:
Country
canada
Capt_x, any chance fresnel ramps will be added soon? I had been using these in Gmax for gauge lighting using the same materials used for the new style landing lights.

Have you tried using the fresnel ramp that is there now? capt_x has the rollout. I've not used it, but try it.

Detail is there too.

Attachments

• upload_2014-11-1_12-20-14.png
    upload_2014-11-1_12-20-14.png
    160.3 KB · Views: 369
Country
canada
I've only looked in the FSX SDK and seen the result. I'm not sure how to apply it. See FSX material

upload_2014-11-1_12-54-4.png

Dutcheeseblend

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Ah, so that can give those nice effects on curved canopies of modern fighters.

On my Fokker I can't see what the thing does since there's hardly reflection and the specularity is, combined with bump, distorted.

Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I'm not interested in the SDK use for the fresnel ramps. Fresnel specular maps can also be used on special polygons that serve only to create night lighting. These are typically used in landing lights but can also be used very efficiently for gauge lighting, which is what I would like to do. Without the fresnel ramp specular map, the lights become too bright in daytime. There may be a workaround, but my preference would be simply to have fresnel ramps supported if that's possible. It's not an issue for me with the landing lights, because my exterior model is in Gmax. Although, now that I actually think about it, I guess the landing lights need to be modelled in both the interior and exterior models, so I may have a bigger problem with this than I realized.

Last edited:
Country
canada
The Blend2FSX tool seems to have all the same input information that GMAX rollouts have, except for all the Maps. GMAX has:

upload_2014-11-2_10-50-45.png

while the blender tool only has code for:

Diffuse, Specular, Emissive(edit Self Illumination), Bump and Reflection. But these are not show in the same way as GMAX. Does anyone use any of the others? edit : guess these are really the only ones need - reviewing the FSX SDK

I am no expert in this texture stuff, and am trying to figure it out. I would like to use blender instead of GMAX, but am unsure if blender can be a good replacement. So far I don't see why not.

Last edited: