• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v2 Environmental Data Probe Engine Sound

Country
us-texas
First, thank you for this excellent tool!

I have an issue where the Environmental Data Probe makes a sound like an engine running. This sound is present even if the Environmental Data Probe is the only SimObject activated in my xml file. Has anyone else experienced this?

-Don

Country
us-texas
After further investigation I have narrowed down that it is playing the Prepar3Dv2\sound\xai_singleprop01.wav file. Renaming that file removes the sound. But I don't know what else may need that file. Any ideas why the Environmental Data Probe would play that wav file?

ETA: I also have to rename ai_singleprop01.wav. Renaming both files (ai_singleprop01.wav and xai_singleprop01.wav) removes the spurious engine sound from Environmental Data Probe but I am still curious why the Environmental Data Probe plays the sound when those files are not renamed. Also, I don't know what other things those files are used for. Based on the file name I suspect they are used by single prop AI aircraft.

Last edited:
Country
switzerland
Hi Don

That's odd, doesn't happen on my FSX setup. The data probe is defined in the category GroundVehicle to enable dynamic reading of ambient variables. But even that shouldn't trigger an aircraft related prop sound. Anyone has that problem, too?

Country
us-texas
Hi Jeffrey,

Thanks for your response.

I did some more investigation and it appears that this is a "feature" of P3D. It seems that for ground vehicles if a sound cfg does not exist P3D will play a default engine sound. And, indeed, the wav files it plays are ai_singleprop.wav (for the sound as heard from the cockpit view) and xai_singleprop.wav (for the sound as heard from an external view). These wav files are in the "sound" folder under the P3D root folder.

Fortunately, the solution is actually pretty simple:

1. Create a folder called "soundai" in the SimObjects\Misc\SODE_DYN folder.
2. Create a file called "soundai.cfg" in the soundai folder you just created.
3. Edit the soundai.cfg to contain just the following:

Code:
[FLTSIM]
product_code=FSIM

[SOUND_ENGINE]
number_of_engines=1
eng1_combustion=COMBUSTION.1.00

[COMBUSTION.1.00]
flags=1

You can check the P3D SDK documentation for descriptions of what these settings mean.

This worked well on my system and now the Environmental Data Probe is nice and silent :)

I don't know if this issue exists in FSX but if it does the above config file should work fine in FSX since the FSX SDK sound configuration documentation shows the exact same settings as the P3D documentation.

-Don

Country
switzerland
Excellent investigation, Don! I'm happy that the solution is not too complicated. I will include your solution in a separate "Hints & Tipps" sticky thread later.