• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX My First Mission (Having Issues)(SOLVED)

krispy1001

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Hi Everyone!

I am trying to get the object placement tool to work but I am not having much success. I can not get the tool to start.

I have searched the forum for information on getting the tool to work. The only information that I could find is that you need to make sure that you have <Disabled>False</Disabled> and that your path is correct for the tool.

Thanks, Krispy1001:)

Here is the code that I have in my dll.xml file.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
<Descr>Launch</Descr>
<Filename>dll.xml</Filename>
<Disabled>False</Disabled>
<Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Object Placement Tool</Name>
<Disabled>False</Disabled>
<ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
<Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\Object_Placement.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Traffic Toolbox</Name>
<Disabled>True</Disabled>
<Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Visual Effects Tool</Name>
<Disabled>True</Disabled>
<Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Special Effects SDK\visualfxtool.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>

Country
canada
What about the other programs - do you see the traffictoolbox or FX Tool in the Tools menu? (if you change the Disabled to false)

And the dll.xml file is in c:\Users\<username>\appdata\roaming\microsoft\FSX.

I see nothing wrong with the file code.

krispy1001

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
What about the other programs - do you see the traffictoolbox or FX Tool in the Tools menu? (if you change the Disabled to false)

And the dll.xml file is in c:\Users\<username>\appdata\roaming\microsoft\FSX.

I see nothing wrong with the file code.

Hi Mr. Rohn!

I have tried to get the traffictoolbox working as well. It does the very same thing nothing. I set the <Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad> to True, so that I could make sure that FSX was finding the file. It does, it asks me if I want the tool to run. So FSX is finding the tools it just will not launch them.

So I did some more research on the net and found that if you do not have the same version of service pack installed for both the FSX and SDK that the tools sill not work. So I checked to see what my system shows that I have installed and this is what it show.

I have installed Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Acceleration installed and Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK SP1A. So does anyone know if this is correct or not?

Thank you very much, Krispy1001:)

krispy1001

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Country
us-virginia
Hi Kris, Glad you got that started. OPT does everything for missions but its interface can be a steep learning curve. After a while I tried FSX Mission Editor (FSXME) - a free limited version and an unlimited payware version. It has a graphical interface. Once I learned the basics with OPT, FSXME was a breeze. I actually use both at the same time since OPT is much better at placing objects, waypoints, etc. Save the Mission file in OPT and FSXME will automatically detect the change and update its interface accordingly.

Good luck with your first Mission!