• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX CXV - how do you add roads or other things

Country
canada
I would like to add some roads missing from my area of interest. I used SBuilderX to add a road and created a cxv file. I add it to the main scenery 0302/scenery folder in FSX It does not show. If I remove the existing cxvxxxx.bgl file that my road is in , my road shows. Does this mean that I have to decompile the existing cxv file, add my road and recompile the entire cxvxxxx.bgl file.

SBuilderX - append cxvxxxx.bgl does not show anything - no error - no existing data.

Or what am I missing in adding roads to an area that I want?

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi,

I know SBUILDER X vectors make roads fine. You have to have them selected and then compile your .bgl. I put mine into an activated scenery folder.

You can use instant scenery 3 too. Unfortunately it wont have the map overlay obviously.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
CVX files. ADE will create roads. In any case what ever cvx file you create you should not add it to a stock folder but to an Addon folder such as Addon Scenery\scenery

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
The default CVX files are compiled without the -ADDTOCELLS flag, so they overwrite all other vector files in that area. If your CVX addon is displayed before the default, then the default will 'erase' your roads. This can happen when adding to the default folder. (You probably shouldn't ever do that, nor should you ever modify a default file). The order of display is called the data stream.

As written above, place your CVX files in an addon folder, which is then displayed after the default files, and allows your roads to merge on top of the default files. You can also use exclude polygons in your files to erase default terrain vectors when they are placed in the data stream after the defaults.

And you can always check your road BGLs in TMFViewer to see if they should display properly.

Dick

Country
canada
CVX files. ADE will create roads. In any case what ever cvx file you create you should not add it to a stock folder but to an Addon folder such as Addon Scenery\scenery

Thanks Shaun, Dick and Jon,

Looks like adding cxv file and/or ADE cxv file to the add-on folder works best. I knew I was doing it wrong. :D

I also got SBuilderX to work with shp files decompiled with Patrick's CXVExtractor. This gives me a better look at all the roads and such in the area of interest.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Hi Ron.

Patrick's tool is great for allowing you to blend-in roads and such to the default files, or to check the default features against an aerial background. Amazing tool!

Dick

Country
finland
Hello, I have some questions about cvx files, shp2vec tool, and shape files. Because this thread already exist I will continue here.

I want to create photoscenery for Finland. Started from south-west side of this country. There is islands chain which is not exist in Flight Simulator. Of cource in cvx file for this area only water polygon and created mesh not work. So, I have to cut holes in water polygon around all islands. With very great tool Patrick's CXVExtractor I got HPX file. Also created shp file with islands and in QGIS in Vector-Geoprocessing Tool-Different cuted very good holes. With shp2vec compiled bgl file and almost all looks very good.

Attachments

• Default_cvx.jpg
    Default_cvx.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 498
  • Islands.jpg
    Islands.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 560
  • Holes.jpg
    Holes.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 498
Country
finland
But in one place I got strange effect.
When I extracted back my new cvx...bgl I found that shp2vec changed vectors in free way and part of vectors was removed. Why it happens and how to avoid this effect? I tryed different ways to add my new cvx, overwrite default, add to addon scenery/scenery and also use -ADDTOCELL, but nothing work.

Attachments

• shp2vec vector.jpg
    shp2vec vector.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 505
  • source vector.jpg
    source vector.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 517
  • fsx 2015-04-18 17-06-17-05.jpg
    fsx 2015-04-18 17-06-17-05.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 503
Last edited:
Country
finland
Ok, now Im a little close to my problem. When I loaded shp to SBuilder, those polygons are seted as holes, but why??? I edit it and set them as outer, then compile bgl. Now I have water around all islands, but anyway lost all mesh north from edited area.