• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA Cubed maps in DDS format

Country
unitedstates
I am creating a custom world reflection to replace "GlobalEnv_AC_Chrome" and "GlobalEnvTest" textures.
I have made my image and tried a few different ways to convert with no success. I tried DXTBMP in DDS format and tried to use the ImageTool directly and export as DDS. I do know it needs to be cubed but not sure how to do this in the image tool. Any help would be appreciated!

GlobalEnv_AC_Chrome.bmp

Also i read that you can make 1 texture called ENV.DDS and place that in your aircraft texture folder so you do not have to replace the default files. I think this would be a better route. Do i make just one of these DDS files in the size if the test file? And in Gmax do i select this new file for the reflection map and keep using "Use global environment map as reflection on" under special functionality?

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
Found a solution using Gimp for those who need help!

I renamed my chrome to env.DDS placed it in my aircraft texture folder and added the entry fallback.Z........to the texture.cfg and it still loads the default from the main texture folder. What am i doing wrong? i prefer to use the aircraft so i do not have to replace the default files.

Last edited:
Country
spain
If I remember well I had just to put this in the einv map in Gmax , this was a building but I guess could be the same.
I always have missed a good tutorial on the creation and aplicacation of cube maps as env. maps for fsx. would be great.

Country
unitedstates
So far i can only get the world reflection to work if i put them in the main FSX texture folder. But i found a bug today. Works perfect with DX10 on but the simulator crashes if i turn on DX9. What is causing this issue?:banghead:

Paul Domingue

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
When using a custom environment map you want to uncheck the "Use global environment map as reflection" under special functionality other wise it will default to the GlobalEnv_AC_Chrome map in the FSX texture folder. With the custom map you have the ability to regulate the percentage of reflection.

Country
spain
Yes Tic I folowed that tutorial time ago, and others, by the way it's a cool site, have some tricks about textures. I recover your thread about specular http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/suspicious-specular.256649/
Interesting for this purpose, I had to regulate de reflection and it was with the specular map and his alpha channels. you will have too to limit de reflection to the Windows glass, not the frames etc so will have to use alpha channels in many cases.

Country
unitedstates
When using a custom environment map you want to uncheck the "Use global environment map as reflection" under special functionality other wise it will default to the GlobalEnv_AC_Chrome map in the FSX texture folder. With the custom map you have the ability to regulate the percentage of reflection.

Yep i figured this out that you do not check the Use global environment. But i still put my custom ENV map in the same reflection selection and the reflection was messed up. Not sure what i am doing wrong since this new ENV map is different than a normal flat reflection texture. Can you explain what to check in the material editor for this type of cubed map texture. So far i only can make it work when it's in the FSX\texture folder. But prefer to have it in the aircraft folder.

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
I am not sure about the aircraft but, for the scenery, it works all the time.
1. Check out the "Use global environment map as reflection" as already stated.
2. Set up your "Reflection Map" on the FSX material and set your new ENV psd file in the slot. It has to be psd, no need to point to dds since Gmax/mas do not know dds.
3. Use Nvidia plug in for Photoshop and save your file as DDS. Put it into your own local texture (your aircraft/scenery folder). Please cross check that you save to dds on the same name. Many times texture does not show up because of typo.
Then it is done!

Country
unitedstates
Since i fixed my bug it now works. I just needed to retry it once more! I now have a custom cubed chrome texture working for my props!
Thanks jtanabodee for what to check as this is what i do for my other custom reflections.

Last edited: