• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Strobes not working in FSX

Country
unitedkingdom
Don,

Help please!

As I have been unable to find any scenery showing the Parkway Visual Approach Lead-in Lights to runways 13L/R at New York's JFK airport I thought I would attempt to produce my own using your Airfield Lights Toolbox V1.1.03.

Although I am novice with regard to scenery design I seem to have successfully created the lighting elements in AFLT using a mixture of Strobe and Strobe-T light types, saved them into a file and made the necessary library file. In addition I have created a new file called 'JFK_Rwy13L&R_Lead-in_Lights ' with Airport Design Editor utilising the default KJFK airport location, magnetic variation, elevation etc. properties.

Each of the Strobe-T and Strobe lighting units has been placed using ADE, the new 'JFK_Rwy13L&R_Lead-in_Lights' file saved and the associated xx.BGL compiled. The new 'JFK_Rwy13L&R_Lead-in_Lights ' folder, which incorporates the 'lib_AFLT_xx.BGL' and associated textures together with the ADE xx.BGL, has been added to the FSX scenery.cfg.

Opening FSX and 'slewing' around the 5 locations of the lead-in lights confirms that all the strobe lights and their textures have been loaded successfully; i.e. the red and white Strobe-T towers and red Strobe poles (and lights) are clearly visible. Unfortunately however none of them are working; i.e. the strobes are not flashing!

I have tried with both;

a) a lights on permanently ('JFK_Rwy13L&R_Lead-in_Lights') and

b) a pilot controlled lights ('JFK_Rwy13L&R_PCL_Lead-in_Lights')

AFLT/ADE files but the result is the same; i.e. towers/poles/lights are visible but not working (flashing/strobing).

I can get the lights to 'strobe/flash' by carrying out the following steps:

1. End flight at KJFK
2. Go to Settings - Scenery Library and un-check (disable) the 'JFK_Rwy13L&R_Lead-in_Lights' Scenery
Area
3. Click 'OK' and after Database rebuild -
4. Return to KJFK via Free Flight
5. As expected the Strobe-T towers and Strobe poles/lights are not visible
6. End flight at KJFK
7. Go to Settings - Scenery Library and re-check (re-enable) the 'JFK_Rwy13L&R_Lead-in_Lights'
Scenery Area
8. Click 'OK' and after Database rebuild -
9. Return to KJFK via Free Flight
10. Strobe-T towers and Strobe poles/lights are visible again and now the strobe lights are working
(flashing/strobing)!

The foregoing procedure also applies to the Pilot Controlled Lighting but it is not possible to control the lighting; i.e. the strobe lights are flashing/strobing after step 9 but they cannot be controlled (turned off) by the Pilot, which in my case utilises the transponder code of 0066.

As requested in the AFLT Manual I attach the following zipped files:

JFK_Rwy13L&R_Lead-in_Lights
lib_AFLT_JFK_Rwy13L&R_Lead-in_Lights
JFK_Rwy13L&R_Lead-in_Lights_PCL
lib_AFLT_JFK_Rwy13L&R_Lead-in_Lights_PCL

Also attached are zipped copies of my ADE 'JFK_Rwy13L&R_Lead-in_Lights' and 'JFK_Rwy13L&R_PCL_Lead-in_Lights' folders.

I apologise for rambling on somewhat but hopefully the foregoing information will enable you to check that I have carried out the correct AFLT processes.

Attachments

• ADE Files.zip
    153.4 KB · Views: 234
  • JFK_Rwy13L&R_Lead-in_Lights.zip
    439.1 KB · Views: 235
  • JFK_Rwy13L&R_Lead-in_Lights_PCL.zip
    443.2 KB · Views: 225
  • lib_AFLT_JFK_Rwy13L&R_Lead-in_Lights.zip
    40.6 KB · Views: 205
  • lib_AFLT_JFK_Rwy13L&R_Lead-in_Lights_PCL.zip
    23.7 KB · Views: 203

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Before I spend any time on this, please confirm all the involved effects are Type 25 (and not Type 19) and that, in the case of the new strobes, they have been made subject to PCL (this is not automatic). Also, I need your complete AFLT Library folder in order to diagnose the flashing. (We already know that the lights are positioned properly).

Don

Country
unitedkingdom
Don,
Sorry to be a pain but I do not understand what you mean by 'please confirm all the involved effects are Type 25 (and not Type 19)' - I would however confirm that I have not used the 'Replace BGL_LIGHTs with Effects' option in the 'Make Object Library' page. Therefore as far as I understand it I have used BGL_LIGHTS and not Effects. Can you please explain to a 'newbe' what I should have done.
I confirm that two separate lights/bases/INI/Guilds/Library.ini folders were produced - one for pilot controlled lights and the other for 'on all the time lights' .
I have sent you the only AFLT Library folders that I have - one for 'pilot controlled lights' and the other for 'on all the time lights'. Please see the attached screen shots which hopefully help to explain.
Please accept my apologies if my lack of knowledge adds to, what I am sure, is an already demanding work load and please do not put yourself out if you have more pressing matters that require your attention. I am very happy to wait for a reply at your convenience.

Attachments

• Screen shots of AFLT 'Make Library'.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 231
  • Screen shot of AFLT tree.zip
    862.9 KB · Views: 219

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
First of all, could I suggest you acquire some screenshot software. There are lots of free utilities available. (The two docx files you sent come up blank.) Also, it would be more convenient if you zipped all items into a single file.

It turns out you did send me the AFLT Library folder - both of them. (Given your imaginative naming scheme that wasn't apparent before.) For AFLT to work (without a great deal of extra effort), all you lights should be in a single library folder.) I'll see if I can figure out how to use what you've done tomorrow.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Took a quick look at your files. You have done much more work that was necessary. You appear to have created a separate light type for every individual light element in each of the five strings. Managing all the guids must have been a nightmare! This is unnecessary and would require far too much work on my part to try and sort it all out. Instead, I'll tell you how it should have been done.

This type of application is exactly what light arrays are meant to accomplish. You don' t need any entries in your ADE file at all. Using one of my sample arrays from the SampleDefs folder as a template, probably ODALS since basically, what you have are 5 ODALS-like series of strobes. For the two runways, create an 8-light ODALS-like array for each. Fill in the latitude, longitude and elevation of the centerpoint of the runway thresholds and the runway heading. For the tag, add whatever character string you like. Then, for each runway, just make an array of standard strobes - on towers where necesssary, placing each based on the position of the light relative to its runway threshold centerpoint and assigning it a sequence number.

For the other three, pretend they are also for runways whose headings are the same as the heading of the string of strobes with the threshold centerpoint at the first (or last) strobe. Create three more 8 or 16 strobe arrays. All 5 arrays can go into the same file

Compile the array file and create a light library based on the lights used (.ini files created when you compiled the arrays). The corresponding .bgls and texture files are copied into your airport's addon scenery folder by the compilers (unless you want to make your life more difficult that necessary.) That's all there is to it.

You could also continue along the lines you started with. If you want to do that, then I suggest you save your Group B strobes and use the appropriate one of those in all instances.

Let's get the strobes working first. Then we can worry about PCL.

Don

Country
unitedkingdom
Don,
Many thanks for your quick reply.
Um, I've read it but I am not sure I fully understand! However I will give it a go and let you know how I get on, although it might not be until next week due to family commitment.
Once again many thanks for your support.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Another thought has just occurred to me. Are you, by chance, using FSX's DX10 Preview Mode? If so, that may be the source of your difficulty. Please see the DX10 note on page 2 of the manual.

Don

Country
unitedkingdom
Don,

The family have now returned to their respective homes so peace and quiet has returned!

Sorry for adding to your work load with my .docx attachments - any suggestion for a good/easy/free screen capture software? I did try to upload a single zip file but it was rejected as being oversize.

It was not as difficult as I had first imagined after reading your reply of the 29 July, and I am pleased to give you the good news that I have successfully produced the 5 sets of Lead-in Lights using your 'Creating Light Assays' and 'SlewMaster' program. It was certainly a lot quicker than my previous attempt! Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I now have 5 working 'permanently illuminated' sets of strobe lights! However unfortunately during the day the lights only become visible at a distance of approximately 1 mile, although of course at dawn/dusk and during darkness they are visible over considerably longer distances. It's a pity that the daylight range is not greater and any suggestions you can offer to increase their visibility would be greatly appreciated.

I did have a go at trying to make them 'pilot controlled' (using a new file, new light elements with PCL transponder setting, new library of elements and new light arrays) but unfortunately without any success as they were on permanently irrespective of the transponder setting. I am sure that I am stupidly still doing something incorrectly.

Finally to answer the question posed in your last reply - no I am not using FSX's DX10 Preview Mode.

Once again many thanks for your assistance. and please give my fond regards to 'Beautiful British Columbia' .

Regards,

Keith.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Glad you've had some success Keith.

As for the visible range of the strobes, have you tried adding more bulbs. (That won't do anything to extend the absolute range of the light - i.e., what you see at night, but it might improve the daytime visibility.) You might also want to experiment with effects. You've got more control over effects than over BGL_LIGHTs. But, even then, absolute range is less than desirable.

Re PCL, is the PCL flag in the Types.txt entry set? (See Appendix "B" of the manual.) It must be for PCL to have any effect. That being said, PCL is used to turn lights on, not off (They go off automatically a specified amount of time after the PCL on-selection criteria is removed.) The only way to turn off the strobes at night is to make airport operating hours < 24 hrs. If they are on in the daytime, what is turning them on?

Don

Country
unitedkingdom
Don,

I did increase the number of bulbs to 9 but it didn't seem to make much difference! What is the maximum number of bulbs that can be used?

I note your comments about 'experimenting' with effects and I have looked at your fx_AFLT_Strobe.fx using notepad but I think that probably, without help, it is beyond me!!

I have checked the Types.txt file, which installed automatically into the Airfield Lights Toolbox (Version 1.1.03) tree, and the PCL entry in Column 7 is marked 'True' for both the Strobe and Strobe-T Light Types. I assume this is the file you are referring too.

In addition the Library.ini file in the AFLT folder, which I created for PLC, contains the following entries:

PCL Control=Transponder Code

PCL Control Value=0066

PCL - Airport Opens=0

PCL - Airport Closes=0

PCL - UTC Offset=0

PCL Auto-Off=0

It is my understanding that, with the relevant PCL .bgl installed into FSX, it is possible to turn the lighting on and off at will although I appreciate that if the 'Auto-Off ' box is completed the lighting switches off after the specified period of time. The problem I have with PCL is that the lights are not controlled by the specified Transponder Code and are 'on' all the time - which is the same as using my 'non PCL .bgl' file.

I apologise if I did not clearly explain previously but it is definitely not my wish to turn the lighting off at night but, if possible, to control it during the day in a similar manner to your own excellent British Columbia scenery.

I am also mystified by your question, 'If they are on in the daytime, what is turning them on?' and was hoping that perhaps you could offer an explanation - Sorry!!

I'm sure you have more pressing things to keep you 'amused' and therefore please do not put yourself out to find a cure for my problem as I am more than happy to have the lights on 'all the time'.

I forgot to mention in my previous post that when I attempted to make the Array I received the following error message:

"bglcomp" for FSX is not in its usual location. Please locate it.

I assume that the required 'bglcomp for FSX' is the bglcomp.exe located (with BGLC_9.exe) in the AFLT/FS Compilers folder. Certainly navigating to, and clicking on this .exe file, resulted in confirmation that the .bgl file had been produced.

Once again may thanks for your prompt replies and helpful suggestions.

All the best,

Keith.