• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Modeling an airport in one Blender/Gmax file vs many files

Country
singapore
I've come across recommendations of modeling different buildings in an airport in different blender files, exporting, then placing with another software. I'm guessing ADE?

Is there a problem with modeling the whole airport in one file? I've been working on my airport in one file. With a satellite image from SBuilder on a poly as a reference. I do my ground poly (runway, taxiway, apron) on one layer and buildings on another layer. Ground markings on another. Having just one file makes line up the buildings way easier than different buildings on different files.

I don't export the whole model into one bgl. I export the ground poly and marking in one COLLADA and the buildings in another. Then use MCX to convert them. I plan to export stuff like fences in the future as another layer/file. All of them reference the same coordinate. Is there a possible problem in the future with such a method?

Are there any advantage to working on separate files?

krispy1001

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Hi Hector Lee!

I have found that there are several benefits for using more than one Blender file per/project. One main benefit is that you do not have all of the clutter associated to using one Blender file for all objects in a project. This allows you to more easily export and test your object in FSX. Second benefit is that it cuts down on the work that your processor has to do when working on an object, especially if it is a high poly object. After getting the object exactly the way you want it you then can bake a normal map and apply it to a lower poly of the same object and then import it into your main project.
The Third benefit that I have found is, if it is an object that you plan onuse in other project. Then it is very beneficial to have that object in it's own Blender file.

Well this is just some of the benefits that I have found for using more than one Blender file for a project.

I hope this gives you some information that you can use.

Thanks, Kris:)

Country
poland
Hector,

I agree with Kris. Furthermore, it is worth applying a rule: one object (or group of objects that are close to each other or with the same texture) - one reference point location. Especially when you export a fence that surrounds the whole airport. That helps to avoid transparency issues.

Just cut the whole fence into small pieces and place them individually.

Country
singapore
Hi Kris and _pawel,

Thanks for your responses. Based on Kris' responses, it appears to be more of a workflow performance and usability reason. It was getting a little sluggish at one point until I discovered layers in blender. I've also been considering exporting some objects for reusing later such as lights, cones, barrels, etc into their own blender file for re-usability later. At this point I'm still in one blender file for now.

How do you place your object accurately if you're working with multiple blender files? I don't believe ADEX shows a detailed model for lining up. Do you have any tips for that?

_pawel, I didn't know there would be an issue with transparency. Do you mind elaborating on that? Lining up two parts of a fence (just one plane width) outside blender seems like an awfully difficult task. I did notice I have been have having problems with disappearing ground scenery shadows on building that are in my whole airport blender file. While my control tower which is exported from another blender file doesn't have that issue. Could it be a reference point problem?

The issue Pawel is discussing isn't really to do with your question. Whether you use a single file or not is totally a matter of system performance. Just like you found, using layers you can de-clutter in an instant. You can also selectively export, so that you have no need for multiple files for any export issue. Of course, you want backup folders, especially using gmax, as it now and then will corrupt and turn your file into rubbish. Each time you export an object, a reference point is set. This is what Pawel is discussing. That's a decision you may determine for using more than one export for, like he mentioned, a fence.

Country
singapore
I think I'm currently doing it the way bob5568 is describing it. I have my ground polys on layer 1, buildings on layer 2, background on layer 3, taxilines on layer 4. Since they are all in the same blender file referencing one large background image, they are share one reference point. I have been using 'export selection only' and exporting all my ground polys and taxilines as one COLLADA, buildings as another. Fences in the future would be another layer, another export.

Another method I have been considering it to export my buildings in groups, but still using the same file. So there are a few more files and making it possible to set varying scenery densities. But once again still the same reference point.

I will point out, Hector, that there is a potential advantage in creating a placement bgl that calls individual mdl files from a library bgl. This is how I ended up working. I still tended to model in one max file, but before I was done, I usually merged each object into its own gmax file, so that upon export, the reference point was in the middle of the individual object. Then I combined those many mdl files into a library bgl, and placed them with a placement bgl, I tended to use the payware "instant scenery" for making the placement bgl, but there are free utilities now, in fact I think MCX can do this now.

Country
spain
ADE can place objects too, in two different ways: you can place a simple mdl, or you can load a library and then use the differents mdls inside. The accuracy of the placement depends on the background image that you have. If the zone is too big, you can consider to insert the background in small parts, all of them georreferenced.

Country
singapore
I have yet to try using the library method. Will take a look at that with placing light poles and stuff. My concern with placing with those software is that usually your object just appears as a rectangle and it's hard to know where you're placing it. Loading and reloading the sim to check is rather counter productive at times.

Seeing the recent Outerra editor video makes me wish that there could be something like that for FSX and P3D

GHD

Country
england
You can use the payware Instant Scenery to place objects interactively.

Hector, your point is well taken. That's why I paid for Instant Scenery, as George points out, you place the objects visually in fsx.

Country
singapore
Oh my! I kept confusing Instant Scenery with another product that I came across that was FS9 only. Instant scenery looks great. But if I want to line up with a satellite image then I have to import create ground polys for it in the sim? I don't have satellite images for my scenery at the moment, just Google Satellite.

Country
spain
ADE and FSX are connected, so you could move your aircraft to the position that you want to place your object, in slew mode and aerial view. Then in ADE you can see the aircraft simbol in the actual position, and place the object there.

Country
singapore
yea. but there is still the need to imagine where the origin of the model is if it is a group of buildings or a large object. some trial and error would be required. I think it would work well for smaller objects where accuracy might not be as big an issue.

Country
spain
Well Hector, i dont know in blender but in gmax you always can assign to the objects or group of objects the origin u choose. I always choose a significative point like a corner of a building or a tree that after i could find easy on background image. Then only need to adjust the heading

Country
singapore
Jlsanargu, that's a great tip! I'm gonna try that. That's why this forum is so great with people like you and all the great tips to make developing easier.