• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

How to make realistic runway skidmarks

Country
macedonia
Hello,

I know, prevously i had asked this question but i dont know still the answer..I have multiple purchased sceneries and how i can see the skidmarks is really close to reallife runway skidmarks..I tryed with different brushes in photoshop,gimp but i cannot find the correct brush for it..Can someone make a video and explain how to make it and give us correct brushes for it, on this forums most people (beginners) don't know how to make realistic skidmarks like the images below..So can someone who have experience to make a video and how i said, explain and make a good skidmark with good brushes and give us a link for those brushes ? I will really appreciate that :) Thank you so much, Best Regrads, Teo

Btw i want to make same skidmarks like this one..In one part with many opacity, then in different part much more opacity, to look realistic, thanks :)

runway-rubber1.jpg
skid-marks-aeroplane-tires-asphalt-runway-39375004.jpg

Country
portugal
In this tutorial, Austin Sass show us how to create very realistic skid marks. If you're not happy with your results, just use and mess around with the Brush tool until you get your results.
To mess up with the opacity just use an alpha channel, where black doesn't appear at all on the sim, and white appears 100%, so you can use some grey. Then import the alpha to the texture with DXTbmp.
I'm guessing you know how to apply it to the model then...

Last edited:
Country
macedonia
Thats actually good, can you tell me, Does i have to make for every way (shape) of my taxiway different skidmark ?? How i can see in another airports when i open the taxi skidmarks it is drawed all the skidmarks in the airport in one file of any dimensions, can you explain how can i do it ? Anddd one more thing, i dont have to open new thread..

I saw this video and i dont know how did they get those dimensions to open the base image in photoshop and draw all the ground polygons ?? Can someone explain ? Thanks

Country
portugal
I'm not sure I understand it. You're asking if you can use the same skidmarks you use in the runway, on the taxiways? Well, you can. Using gmax, for example, you can use a loft so that the skidmarks "follows" the taxiway on a curve. Or just use a plane and texture it with the dimensions you want. It's very vast, it depends a lot on what you want to do. Then again, I'm not the most experienced guy...

2nd: Use sbuilderx to get the photoreal image (again, not sure if I understood it correctly)

Country
macedonia
Okay, so can you explain how to make the "loft" i think, make a skidmark texture then ? hah please help me i really need your help, thanks

Country
portugal
I wouldn't use the same texture on the taxiway, you use on the runway, because that texture is not going to repeat and blend to each other very well... You have to make a texture that blends to the others when repeated.
In the taxiway I would use a texture like this:
(check time 36:45), but without the taxiway. Do something like that and use this loft method: http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=Taxiline_creation_with_GMax. Obviously that tutorial gives you the width of the taxiway, to the skidmark you have to use a bigger width.
Also, you should check Austin Sass's channel, he does a lot of tutorials on that. Including the one I just sent you.

Country
macedonia
hmm
maybe i have to create taxi centerline texture and below it put the skidmark then get the pixels and make an alpha channel and use it like i put the texture for the centerlines?

Country
unitedkingdom
No you make a spline and loft it with a template in gmax/3ds. Then texture it. Different textures at different layers.

Country
macedonia
I made it with layer per layer, without loft, rotate it, scale it and it looks good, will it depend on FPS ?? (in my way vs your way) ? Thanks