• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Locked "skp" file?

Country
us-texas
This is really irritating. I have been having transparency issues with one model I built for a new airport scenery. Finally, after exhausting what little knowledge I have with scenery building I decided to start over from scratch. So after an hours work last evening I saved what I had and turned off the computer. This morning, anxious to get back to it I loaded Sketchup and discovered that the model wasn't listed in the file dropdown. . .I had to browse to the folder to load it, at which time I get this:

The file 'C:\Users\falcon409\desktop\Sketchup\Crow Island\Skp\Crow_Lounge.skp' is currently locked by another user. Do you wish to open the file as Read-Only?

Please someone. . .tell me I don't have to start over again. . .

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello...

This has happened to me... Was the file already opened? Or used elsewhere? Try rebooting... And/or try looking at the read/write permissions for the file.

Otherwise Yes you will have to start over... Sorry

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Otherwise Yes you will have to start over... Sorry
You are kidding right? Just ignore the warning, click "yes" and forget it. "Read Only" specifically means you can't save changes to that particular file name and I have never had a problem saving the same file that I opened under that provision. Who cares; don't edit it, open the thing, make changes and then save to a new name, you never edited the original file.

Country
us-texas
lol, Thanks Rick. Actually I "imported" the skp and went from there. Also, with this new model there are no issues with transparent material. I've been modeling and texturing in stages. . .do a bit, save, load in the Sim and check. . .and so on. The model is basically complete and all is well.

Either these western fellows do not live where they say they live or they have a major insomnia problem:D.

Country
us-illinois
Hi Ed:

I agree with Rick's general assertion in this particular situation; in theory, you 'should' be able to "open the file as Read-Only", then save it out to another *.SKP with a slightly different file name without any risk for loss of the data and/or project completion status within that original *.SKP file (effective as of the last time it was manually saved to disk).

That being said, however, the facts of the situation are that 'something' in Windows file operations related to Sketchup has gone wrong.

And IIUC from what you described above, you appear to not have an 'extra' manually-created backup copy of your project *.SKP file beyond those files made via Sketchup by default (the original *.SKP file and a "Autosave_*. SKB " file in the same folder).

Thus, I would personally want to be extra 'safe' in this type of scenario, and would instead first perform these actions:

1.) In Windows Explorer (not Sketchup), browse to the C:\Users\falcon409\desktop\Sketchup\Crow Island\Skp\Crow_Lounge.skp

a.) Copy Crow_Lounge.skp out to another *.SKP with a slightly different file name ex: BAK_Crow_Lounge.skp

b.) Examine the file info for C:\Users\falcon409\desktop\Sketchup\Crow Island\Skp\Autosave_Crow_Lounge.skb

C.) If Autosave_Crow_Lounge.skb has a file date / time more recent than the original Crow_Lounge.skp:

(1) Open Autosave_Crow_Lounge.skb in Sketchup instead of Crow_Lounge.skp; save it as [your project file name].SKP

NOTE: One must set the Sketchup File Open Browser to Files of Type: All Files (*.*) to see "Autosave_*.SKB" files

(2) Open [your project file name].SKP after saved, and inspect for project completion status, errors, etc.

(3) Compare [your project file name].SKP with a copy of the original Crow_Lounge.skp opened in another side-by-side Sketchup 'instance'

NOTE: If you are unable to copy any of the above files in Windows Explorer because Windows insists on treating the files as "Locked", re-boot Windows, and the above files are very likely to be "un-locked" ...and available for normal access without any data loss.

PS: If you wish, you can set the "Autosave_*.SKB" file creation / update saving interval to a 'shorter' time period via:

Sketchup Menu > Window > Preferences > Sytem Preferences dialog > General > Saving > Every (X) Minutes

Hope this helps ! :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Sketchup Make + Windows 10? I have never had this problem (not with SU Make either) but I am running windows 7.

Country
us-illinois
FYI:

In Sketchup 2016 64-bit on Windows-7 Professional 64-bit with 8 GB system RAM

...I am experiencing slow (compared to Sketchup-8 32-bit):

* automatic file saving of "Autosave_*.SKB" files

* manual file saving of "BAK_*.SKP" files

* manual saving of any [main project file name].SKP files

* automatic file saving / updating of "Make Unique Texture" files (with either the default function or Aerilius' Make Unique Texture++ plugin)

* switching between Tool icon modes

...when I have used large textures and have not yet made them into unique textures cropped to the face they are (re-)mapped to with UVWs

In Sketchup-8 32-bit on Windows-7 Professional 64-bit with 8 GB system RAM

...when I have used large textures and have not yet made them into unique textures cropped to the face they are (re-)mapped to with UVWs

...I am experiencing slow:

* automatic file saving / updating of "Make Unique Texture" files (with either the default function or Aerilius' Make Unique Texture++ plugin)

The latter situation can result in a "Bugsplat" crash of Sketchup if one does not pause for a few seconds after a "Make Unique Texture" file creation

Also, if I forget to close the "Add Photo Texture" window (which maps Street View textures onto a selected face), both Sketchup 2016 64-bit and Sketchup-8 32-bit may go into 30-to-60-minute looping system freeze before allowing access to even the Windows task manager.

In such cases, after allowing the process to loop itself to a stop and gaining eventual access to the task manager, and after having had to forcibly re-boot Windows once, I have not "yet" lost a project file; not good risks to take obviously. o_O

However, I'm concerned about a 3GB 32-bit or 4GB 64-bit Sketchup task session "lockup" from failure to close a Sketchup 'child process' window. :banghead:

Thus, in addition to being extra careful to always immediately close the "Add Photo Texture" window after use, I meticulously 'Make Unique Texure' for as many faces as I can, and then purge the un-used originals.

The other benefit from doing this is that Sketchup reportedly does subsequently utilize actual mapped UVWs for the "Unique" textures, which makes the output file more compatible when exported for processing in other 3D modeling applications. :pushpin:

BTW: These multiple new unique textures with mapped UVWs can then be consolidated by MCX onto a lesser total number of texture sheets. :wizard:

GaryGB

Last edited:

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
I've been modeling and texturing in stages. . .do a bit, save, load in the Sim and check. . .and so on.
You can actually be even more careful if you have storage space for it. Using your procedure on very large or complex model I have been dismayed to find an undesirable alteration that had been inadvertently performed many saves previous. If you save every new version with a track-able naming convention, like the date in decimal form, crow_lounge_2.11.16 for example, then you can retrieve or revert to a state prior to your last most recent session.