• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA Taxi Designators

Country
newzealand
Jon,
I'm trying to multi change taxi designators, has this been implemented? as i cant seem to get them to change............
take a long taxiway for example Z3, this has about 50 connections to it, so i need to split it up into three sections of Z3, so i add 2 more, i select the first 15 holding down the shift key which brings up Z3 in the description/Taxi Designator, i click on the list for one of the others and nothing changes, no matter which of the 3 i select nothing changes, i can change them one at a time as per the normal way

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Not sure what you are doing Ray. I just selected several taxi links then hit Enter to open the Multi Edit dialog

upload_2016-7-29_7-28-24.png

and changed the value in the Taxi Designator box. This worked for me. There is a slight bug in that this box does not blank if there are different designators for the selected links but it does work to change them to the same new value

Country
newzealand
Jon,
that's the box i get and how i select, but when there are three B's selecting any of them does not change in an ADE taxiway,
try it with the default ZBAA, where there are two A's by changing a line of those to the other letter A so that one A shows all the A's,
i'm trying to split a long taxiway letter A into 3 sections by multi select to another A

Country
unitedkingdom
Jon,
that's the box i get and how i select, but when there are three B's selecting any of them does not change in an ADE taxiway,
try it with the default ZBAA, where there are two A's by changing a line of those to the other letter A so that one A shows all the A's,
i'm trying to split a long taxiway letter A into 3 sections by multi select to another A
Ray,
when I get an airport where two taxiway letters - the same letter, say "A" - show in the list, I never try to change one of these to the other directly. I always have to change all of one group of "A" sections to BLANK first, then you can delete the letter which now has "0" sections, before re-assigning the same sections to the "A" letter that remains.

Country
newzealand
yes i know how to do that Ray :) but i don't want to do that i need to add more, I need three Z3's in my ZBAA file that only has one in the default
look at KJFK, that airport has 10 A's and 11 B's, as you probably know there's a very good reason why we implement multiple letters in very large airports....................

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
OK - than I do not have an answer

Country
unitedkingdom
............. as you probably know there's a very good reason why we implement multiple letters in very large airports....................

Ray, sorry but I am ignorant of this - I would be interested to hear why you need to split sections into "different sections but with the same letter".

The trouble I have is that in ADE, when you get the drop-down list showing the letters, there is no way of knowing which of the 3 (say) letters refers to which group of taxiways.
You would have to have a way of adding a suffix letter to each of the otherwise identical letters which, whilst allowing you to differentiate between the letters, would be 'invisible' in all other senses e.g. ZA(1), ZA(2), etc, where the (1) would be ignored except for differentiating between them in the drop-down list. I suspect this would be difficult to include in the programming though.

GHD

Country
england
The trouble I have is that in ADE, when you get the drop-down list showing the letters, there is no way of knowing which of the 3 (say) letters refers to which group of taxiways.
Just highlight them.

I agree Ray, one can only change them individually.

Country
newzealand
Ray, sorry but I am ignorant of this - I would be interested to hear why you need to split sections into "different sections but with the same letter".
Ray,
Because flightsim is a lot smarter than many think, it knows exactly where the user and AI aircraft is at any time at the airport, so on these larger airports there are multiple letters of the same type, this on most occasions stops the Mexican stand off and will direct either aircraft to travel away from its gate just to avoid this and even use an available runway runway as well, in the early days I and many other used to deleted the extra letters thinking it was an over-site by Aces thinking they were not ever bothered with this, but when we discovered why this was created we had to go back and rethink about our designs...................
many of my airports have extra letters of the same kind, and it will work at least 50% of the time but not always..................

Last edited:
Country
newzealand
Just highlight them.
I agree Ray, one can only change them individually.
George,
not sure what you mean by "just highlight them" if i highlight the section i need to change as Ray says i get 3 options how do i know which one to select, and as i said in my previous post, i select any of the 3 and nothing changes!!
i guess we have to change a swag of taxiway connections one at a time which is what i have been doing, so i thought i would ask the question if we could multi select them to make the change :)

GHD

Country
england
Ray was asking how he could identify which group of links to which a particular letter applied. I meant hghilight them in the dropdown:

After that, the only way to change them is individually.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Right, multi select and change does not work in this case, apparently.

Country
unitedkingdom
Ray,
Because flightsim is a lot smarter than many think, it knows exactly where the user and AI aircraft is at any time at the airport, so on these larger airports there are multiple letters of the same type, this on most occasions stops the Mexican stand off and will direct either aircraft to travel away from its gate just to avoid this and even use an available runway runway as well, in the early days I and many other used to deleted the extra letters thinking it was an over-site by Aces thinking they were not ever bothered with this, but when we discovered why this was created we had to go back and rethink about our designs...................
many of my airports have extra letters of the same kind, and it will work at least 50% of the time but not always..................
Glottis,
so I am now looking at the stock KJFK as an example, there are 10 sections all listed as A (which is the inner ring taxiway). The number of individual sections in the different A's varies - my list shows 3,3,4,6,2,1,19,8,2 and 8. Are you saying that A was broken up into 10 sections deliberately by Aces to try and avoid head-to-head aircraft impass situations? And this goes for a lot of the other taxi designators on this airfield which also have multiple entries?
If this is the case, I might have to have a re-think when I come across other airfields where this situation arises. There have been a few occasions where I have 'unified' all taxiway sections, listed as multiple sections with the same letter, under a single letter.

Country
newzealand
Correct, this allows departing aircraft to avoid any incoming traffic and vice versa, so ATC knows exactly where each aircraft is and which "A" it is on, KJFK is a good example when the A's and B's just about go all the way around the airport.
i have watched airports for hours and been amazed at how ATC will direct traffic back across a runway all the way to the other side of an airport to allow departing traffic the easy route, and once again vice versa....
always pays to watch traffic for a long period of time to see how traffic comes and goes when setting up your airport, especially at busy airports to see if multiple same letters works or not, as KJFK shows some same letters have a different amount of taxiway for the reasons I've tried to explain albeit poorly........
much the same as a single letter "A" the length of its runway can also be better to control AI Traffic,
we basically have no control over how ATC manages traffic on taxiways apart from some rules of inside and outside taxiway usage next to a parallel runway, but same letter multiples can work but not always as well as disconnecting taxiways, a closed taxiway still connected at each end will not be honoured.............
never flown in years so I've no idea how user aircraft works, probably much the same.........
hope this helps you to understand a little bit more..............

Country
unitedkingdom
Correct, this allows departing aircraft to avoid any incoming traffic and vice versa, ..............

Thanks for this explanation. This is the first time I have seen any reference to this situation since coming on to this forum - will keep this in mind in the future.