• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Precipitation inside the Hangar!

Country
us-texas
I thought I had a solution to this problem, but it didn't work, so I'll ask if someone has a better solution. I have a scenario in my Flight Simulator where I have heavy snow falling and so I taxi my bomber into the hangar for Maintenance. All well and good except it's also snowing inside the hangar. I thought applying an "autoplatform" in MCX, on the roof and side walls would prevent the snow from penetrating, but to no avail.

So, is this a known bug in Flight Sim or is there a way to correct the snow from falling inside a hangar? I should also mention that this is FSX and P3D related. . .the building was done in Sketchup.

Country
us-texas
Falcon did you scale the building at all during modeling or model placement?

Country
us-texas
Mapping the textures sometimes doesn't work. The best way to test is just to try to place your aircraft on the roof and see if it "holds".
If it doesn't you may have to create the platforms manually, which is not difficult.

Country
us-texas
That has already been checked and while I did state that I mapped the textures, I also applied the autoplatform function in MCX as mentioned in my original post, so there is a platform active in the sim and it keeps the airplane on the roof. . .but it has no affect on the snow.

Country
us-illinois
Hi Ed:

This is an interesting scenario which, IMHO, must be considered for purposes of maximizing 'realism' when we create hangars and other 3D scenery objects that are intended to be navigable / viewed by the camera within a user aircraft or other SimObject.

Have you tried placing a small BGLComp-XML-type Exclusion Rectangle to exclude "Effects" on the ground inside the perimeter area of the hangar 'footprint' ?

GaryGB

Country
us-texas
Hi Ed:

This is an interesting scenario that must be considered when we create hangars and other 3D scenery objects that are intended to be navigable / viewed by the camera within a user aircraft or other SimObject.

Have you tried placing a small BGLComp-XML-type Exclusion Rectangle to exclude "Effects" on the ground inside the area of the hangar 'footprint' ?

GaryGB
Had not thought of that Gary, but that sounds promising. I'll give that a try.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Ed,

As far as I know there is no way to prevent snow inside the building. But I might be wrong.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
How about rain? Many years ago I had the issue of rain inside a custom hangar and finally found the solution (which I have now forgotten of course!), but I never did think to test for snow...

Country
us-illinois
Hi Bill:

Thanks for mentioning that there has at one time, been a way to fix this.

Any possibility that we might discern what the solution may have involved at the time you last used it ?

I'm wondering if it involved SCASM or newer FSX-era code to stop precipitation within a small area defined by a polygon.

I'm also wondering if a 'manifold' / 'solid' 3D model hangar with a ex: transparent / non-textured inner door frame 'face' (with no crash box) is capable of "fixing a hole where the rain gets in, ...and stops my mind from wandering" ?

(credit: The Beatles)

GaryGB

Last edited:

Deano1973

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
How about a transparent panel across the roof assigned the material "concrete" in the same way as an aircraft carrier deck? Would that be possible? Being a solid and landable surface it might also keep the weather out.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
It is rational to invoke the "flight simulator" rant. We see many, many examples where ACES took expediencies to provide a "real world" simulator, starting with the fact that it takes only 41 decently high quality airports to accomplish this. An entire planet with 41 airports that have a reasonable expectation of an immersive experience does not bode well for any sort of code accommodation that has any affect on the weather on anything less than a regional scale. That said, a good try would be through some sort of weather enhancement, like getting REX to set up a reverse microburst over the hangar, or something. ACES might have argued that they simulated flight reasonably well enough and did not, unfortunately accommodate hangar queens.
:)

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Any possibility that we might discern what the solution may have involved at the time you last used it ?
Gary, I haven't the time to check myself, but here is the "Eaglesoft Hangar" .gmax source file in which I fixed the rain problem. For some reason I'm thinking it was the addition of a floor that fixed the problem, but this was from 2004 and my memory is fading from that epoch. :rotfl:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6g8xoxlcr4ldyia/New_Hanger.zip?dl=0

Country
us-illinois
Hi Bill:

Thanks for your reply. :)

I wonder if the 3D model attached above is the "Eaglesoft Hanger Scenery by Bill Leaming" discussed in 2004: :scratchch

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/78856-eaglesoft-fbo-hanger-scenery-kit/

...and downloadable from this web page:

http://www.eaglesoftdg.com/downloads/downloads.htm

...via this download link:

http://www.eaglesoftdg.com/downloads/ESDG_Hangerkit.zip

I have not installed or used GMAX for many years, and Arno's MCX does not directly import *.GMAX source files. :yikes:

If I can verify that the 3D model you attached here is identical to the above linked "Eaglesoft Hanger Scenery by Bill Leaming", the "esdghanger.x" file in the latter package may be imported into Arno's MCX to see what the geometry involves. :idea:

Thanks in advance for your further kind consideration in clarifying whether the 3D model in "New_Hangar" is identical to ex: "esdg_hanger_KEVV" in the above linked "Eaglesoft Hanger Scenery by Bill Leaming". ;)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Hi Ed:

I tested the ESDG FBO / Hangar which apparently does not stop precipitation effect visibility within the hangar.

IIUC, a parameter in MDLs determines a offset radius for an 'attached' Fx weather precipitation effect 'cylinder'.

Possibly Arno may tell us how to change a MDL's weather precipitation effect 'cylinder' offset radius ? :wave:

AFAIK, that weather precipitation effect cylinder is mapped to a *.Fx file, texture, and HLSL Shader.

Perhaps one might create a custom camera view to be added to a desired end user Aircraft.Cfg to utilize 'inside' hangars (that do not contain a "Hangar Queen"), but which instead contain a spawned user aircraft "Start Location" from an airport BGL or saved *.FLT file, which has "ShowWeather=No" set for the custom camera view definition within the 'active' Camera.Cfg file ...located at: :idea:

C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Cameras.CFG

http://www.fstipsandaddons.com/understanding-cameras-fsx/

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526984.aspx#CameraDefinitions

One can then switch to a "normal" cockpit / spot mode camera when the user aircraft is 'outside' the hangar ? :scratchch

Hope this helps ! :)

GaryGB

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/hangar_queen

Last edited:

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
<PartInfo>
visibility
<Name>
user
<Parameter>
extraneous weather
<Code (0-ignore, 1-react)>
</Code>
</Parameter>
</Name>
<PartInfo>

Country
us-illinois
OK, time for a brief 'comedy relief' during all this serious SDK stuff ! :laughing:

//Program describing how a chicken would cross the road in Borland's object-oriented version of the Pascal language.
//It was designed so that even an inexperienced programmer could read it.
//It elicited many guffaws and an even larger number of groans, and appeared in Windows Tech Journal
//(in an ad for the magazine, of all places). It went like this:

program KFC;
usesSalt, Pepper, Flour, HotOil, Poultry, MackTruck;
constMPH = 90;
var
{Don't reference your chickens before they're declared!}Chicken : Poultry.Fowl;
Truck : MackTruck.EighteenWheeler;beginChicken.Hatch; {Constructor}Truck.Start;
{Constructor}Truck.Rev(MPH);Chicken.CrossRoad);
Truck.Horn.Honk;
Truck.Brake := TRUE;Truck.Tires.PutStr('Screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...');
Chicken.PutStr('Scra-daaaaaaaaaaaaaawk!');
Stop; Look; Listen;
if Chicken.Flat thenOutput(Colonel,Chicken);
end.:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.”

― Ralph Waldo Emerson

GaryGB

Last edited:

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Hi Bill:

If I can verify that the 3D model you attached here is identical to the above linked "Eaglesoft Hanger Scenery by Bill Leaming", the "esdghanger.x" file in the latter package may be imported into Arno's MCX to see what the geometry involves. :idea:

Gary, it is indeed the identical hangar. I have all of my scenery projects from GMax archived for some strange reason. I could have sworn though that I had fixed the "rain inside" problem. :(