• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FS2004 5B2 - Saratoga County

Runway texture update... Fiddling with an overlay from actual 5B2 images... Some things look nice, others need more tweeking....

Thanks for looking.

ScreenShot064.jpg

ScreenShot065.jpg

ScreenShot066.jpg

im also still working on the grass grainer... i tried the peek-through method, but couldnt get any degree of contrast with this method. plus the edges was a pain to lineup completely, i spent hours trying to hand paint the masks, and it still looked like junk mixed with crap....
Hello,
I am impressed by your work!! I see a lot of interesting details on your ground :). I was asking myself how did you do your "grass grainer"? I searched on the web and could not find any tutorial. Could you explain me your method ? (I do my textures with photoshop)
PM me if you prefer!

Last edited:
The grass grainer is an idea i stole from the flytampa folks, but they do it with a transparent mask of the photo layer letting the grainer come up through from behind.... I tried this but could not get enough contrast in the sat layer unless i hard contrasted the sat layer and it still didn't look right... the grainer texture i made looked nice, but it never looked right when i tried their technique... i just wasn't getting the mix right, and it was alot of work to mask the sat texture with a detiled alpha channel and still not get it to look good at all...

So what I did was put the satellite layer first, then layed the grainer over the top, using an alpha mask to let it 'texture' the smooth satellite layer below it. Very sloppy, but it kept the contrast and color of the sat ground texture, and detailed it with a grassy grain to give it some detail.... i cheated, it was easier to get it to look better...

What DOES happen, is it graines everything its above... not a problem for most things, it doesnt show through the slightly transparent taxiway textures, so there is no issue there, and the runways are fully textures, with no bleedthrough, so no problem there either...

I dont want to get into process here in the showroom, as these techniques should be outlined in the gmax rooms, and not here... there may be some techniques in the gmax room already to explain how to do this, it IS quite easy... its all in the way you prepare the grainer texture. and its alpha.

I appreciate your kind comments to my work, thank you :)

I'd love to know how you did that Ed in more detail - would you be willing to let me know via a PM please?

Southwest said:
I'd love to know how you did that Ed in more detail - would you be willing to let me know via a PM please?

The grainer layer? If your looking for that, so was Tibo... I could make a post in gmax forum outlining the process.... If there is one already, Ill edit this and link it...

Thanks... Not many marking on the 5B2 runways, so not alot of white paint.... but I AM going to redo the numbers and some text that it painted on the main ramp...

tweeking, tweeking tweeking.... :)

That is one beautiful photograph, Ed!

Now, what's the sim scenery look like? :rotfl:

More screenies... some night shots... none of the light mapping is done for the ground yet, but something to show the progress.... its getting close...

Thanks for looking...

5B2_Screen-1.jpg

5B2_Screen-2.jpg

5B2_Screen-3.jpg

Another night shot... Making taxiway lines, tedious tedious tedious!!!!

Thanks for looking...

5B2_Screen_10.jpg

Thanks, the bushes were made in Photoshop... easy to make the shapes.... then they are applied to x-shaped planes and placed as *.mdl's accordingly...

I am having a problem with landing lights showing them as black at night, so... not a big deal, but its doing similar with the taxilight blooms....

frustrating....

Back