• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Landable Platform

Country
us-florida
Gentlemen,

I am trying in vain to create a landable platform on top of my 3d object.

Please can someone give me a simple primer on this. I can build and texture 3d objects in 3DSM9 and import them succesfully into FSX Acceleration.

I just need to know how to make the object landable or how to create a landable pad atop the object.

Tools: 3D Studio Max 9, FSX Acceleration SDK

I've tried using the Attach Tool and for the life of me can't figure it out. Do I create the landable platform as another .x file and attach it? OR could I create the landable pad via XML and place it atop the 3d object?

Last edited:
Country
england
  1. Select the polygon that you wish to have as a platform.
  2. Go into the Select and Move mode. Hold down Shift Key whilst selecting one of the move axes.
  3. On the Clone Part of Mesh dialog, select Clone to object.
  4. Run the AttachPointTool on this new object and select platform.
  5. Then link it to your main object.

I hope this helps.
David

Country
us-florida
Ok David you are tha man !

Now, another question if you don't mind answering.

I chose for this particular platform CONCRETE. Obviously this does not impart any texture to the platform. What purpose does the platform drop down menu serve? I see many different material names listed, but no discernable effect when chosen. I can texture my platform myself, just wondering what difference it makes whether I select Brick, Concrete, etc in the attach tool platform setup drop-down menu. I assume that choosing a type of platform just selects which effects you'll get on landing, such as dust, etc.

Now, to get a pad with lights and markings on top of this structure should I go through XML and add an Airport object with helipad data?
test_platform_1.jpg

Last edited:
Country
england
I assume that choosing a type of platform just selects which effects you'll get on landing, such as dust, etc.
That is the idea. The platform part is transparent , so you'll only see the textures of your main object.

Now, to get a pad with lights and markings on top of this structure should I go through XML and add an Airport object with helipad data?
You'll need to create a new airport for this. Perhaps one of the other gurus can help you there.

David