• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

New Jetway IK Tutorial Available

nickw

Administrator
Staff member
Country
ireland
Some of you have been waiting a good while for this! Thanks to the personal time of Adrian Woods from Microsoft, here is the Jetway IK tutorial for FSX.

In an effort to give average quality, the size is quite large (about 200MB). Anything smaller would not be useful to designers wanting to learn this method.

Last edited:
Country
england
Thanks for this. I look forward to watching it once it has finished downloading.

Country
canada
Thanks - excellent tutorial.

For those of you - like me - that did not get any "video" the first time running it - you need the Techsmith codec. Just google.

Country
germany
A big thank you to everyone involved. That´s absolutely what I´ve been waiting for since month.

Thorsten

nickw

Administrator
Staff member
Country
ireland
Can I ask a favour please...

Can people that release scenery based upon this tutorial:

a. Mention in the readme's fsdeveloper.com and the tutorial.
b. Post here with information about the scenery.

Two reasons for this. First, I want the team at Microsoft to see direct benefit in doing these tutorials in their own time and how it improves the community releases. Second, I would like every FS developer in the world to come to this site first :)

Cheers,

Nick
(apparently now FSDeveloper.com marketing) ;)

Country
ca-quebec
Highly informative , not only for Jetways but for its modus operendi , its always a pleasure to watch a master in action, learn something new , keyboard shortcuts , why sliding animations did not look right in Max , much applies to animating pilot figures as well , i for one am grateful for the education .
My thanks to all involved . C.J

Last edited:

nickw

Administrator
Staff member
Country
ireland
FYI...

Adrian complete with Nick Whittome Whip Technique(c) are pushing for video tutorials in future updates to the franchise(s).

Yay for community input!

I find it a little too complicated :(. Can anyone disect it into a more "jetway for dummy" kinda thing?

Kindly,

Blazer

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I am afraid it can't be made much simpler than that. The process of making an IK animation involves all the steps explained, I don't think it can be made much easier.

Thanks. Looks like i'll stick with either custom static game or msfsx default animated jetway

Is it possible to make a mold for the jetway in the sense that for each different model we can just recreate the "boxes" keeping all the "animation" info intact? Like replacing object A with B in the animation process?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

If you have a GMax file of a working jetway, it should be possible to alter the model while the animation keeps working. Although if you change the model a lot, the vertices that are affected by the different bones might need some adjustment.

I agree that making a properly animated jetway is rather complex, I am still working on finishing my first jetway with this technique completely.

Country
unitedkingdom
This is a superb video tutorial, very in depth and detail.

Can this sort of method be used to create animated airstairs and such?

What do you do after the GMAX stuff is done, CAT?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Yes, you should be able to use it for stairs as well. And no, no CAT is used, this is just natively supported in FSX. So just export from GMax and you are there.

Country
unitedkingdom
Is that then the same for an fs9 jetway. or should i revert to the 2004jetway tutorial ? I presume this technique doesn't work for fs9 ?