• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

ACM for FSX?

Country
us-arizona
Hey all,

Is there a replacement for ACM for FSX? We used to have it for FS2004. Just wondering if someone has created one for FSX.

Many thanks,

Bill

The original ACM was created by a gentleman named Karl-Heinz Klotz. He disappeared from the FS scene (actually from the world as even his vendor couldn't find him) a few years ago. He disappeared as the result of serious medical problems; I heard they were from a horrific traffic accident.
I was able to contact a Karl-Heinz Klotz through an intermediary last September. He stated he had recovered to the point he wanted to get back into FS and was recoding ACM for FSX. He stated it was a lot of code to redo and would take several months. I tried to contact him again this last March and got no response.
Maybe we should hound Dave Nunez of FSDSTweak fame to see if he wants to do a GUI interface .cfg file editor.

Cheers, Paul

Hi,

after finishing AAM for FSX (AAM V2.2) it is now still some distance down the road to get ACM working for FSX. But, I#m on it...

Karl-Heinz

Karl-Heinz,

Good to see you here. As an AAM user I thank you for the such a useful program so I hope all goes well for the ACM conversion.

Brian

Hi,

after finishing AAM for FSX (AAM V2.2) it is now still some distance down the road to get ACM working for FSX. But, I#m on it...

Karl-Heinz

Great to see you are still around. I was concerned when I didn't hear back from you last month. As you can see on this and other forums, there is great interest in a FSX version of ACM. Good luck with the conversion.:)

Paul

Karl-Heinz - as you can see, the ACM utility is coveted by many. However, like a good wine, take your time.

Hey Karl,

Awesome work on ACM. What an amazing program. Glad you are recovering and hope all is well. If you need any help, please let me know. I do not do code, but if you need help in anything else, just ask.

Bill

Actually i could need some help.

First i want to say that ACM for FSX will be freeware like AAM. And here is where i could need some help on:

I want to gather all possible discrete entries in the aircraft.cfg file. I have a lot of planes for FSX and went through them (in an automated process of course) to list all entries. Here they are in alphabetical order and i want to ask you if you know about any other entry that i am possibly missing.

Thx,

Karl-Heinz

Attachments

• aircraft sections fsx.txt
    17.1 KB · Views: 2,312
It is interesting to see how many misspelled lines there are in various aircraft.cfg files. Or misplaced variables in wrong categories. like "atc_type" in [fltsim.x] instead of being located in [general].

Karl-Heinz

Karl,

Will your program be able to recognize capital letters as well as small letters? For instance, if we accidentally put in Flaps instead of flaps, will it not see this? It would be good to know so that we can adjust configs accordingly.

Bill

Bill, ACM (like FSX) works case insensitive, so Flaps is as good as flaps.

Karl-Heinz

It is interesting to see how many misspelled lines there are in various aircraft.cfg files. Or misplaced variables in wrong categories. like "atc_type" in [fltsim.x] instead of being located in [general].

Karl-Heinz

Equally interesting are the number of people who still don't use the two new parameters for the [fltsim.x] section. For example:
Code:
ui_typerole="Twin Engine Prop"
ui_createdby="Eaglesoft Development Group"
These allow FSX to "sort" the aircraft list by "typerole" and/or "created by" which at times is very, very useful!

Or, those who confuse these entries (the first of which are the "new parameters," the latter pair being the "old parameters," but both of which mean the same thing!

Code:
default_pitch_mode= 		0
default_bank_mode= 		0 

use_no_default_pitch=		1
use_no_default_bank=		1

Even sillier are those who have both sets, but have set them in conflict with one another and then wonder why they don't work! :rotfl:

Karl,

Here is a side question for you.

Is it possible to create a program (or something) that can change things in the config files, or to switch out the config files on a single plane, while it is running in FS?

We were talking about this. We were wondering if its possible to change say weights and balances (adding cargo and passengers) on the plane when its running.

I thought it would be nice to have a dual set of configs and have the plane a 'calm' acting setup, and a 'wild' setup for the people that like a difficult plane. Then you could 'switch' the settings and wouldnt need alternate folders and textures for the plane in your FSX package.

If you do not have an answer, no worries. We've been toying with this for ages now.

Bill

The short answer is no, AFAIK. The aircraft.cfg file is only read once when loading the a/c. To read it again would require forcing a "Reload User Aircraft" command, which of course would engender a delay, and would probably screw up any flightplan and/or other heinous errata... :eek:

The short answer is no, AFAIK. The aircraft.cfg file is only read once when loading the a/c. To read it again would require forcing a "Reload User Aircraft" command, which of course would engender a delay, and would probably screw up any flightplan and/or other heinous errata... :eek:

Thats correct.

I was looking for a nice way to reload the aircraft.cfg in order to have a fast way to show the new textures in FSX for a repaint job. I did not find any.

Karl-Heinz

Thats correct.

I was looking for a nice way to reload the aircraft.cfg in order to have a fast way to show the new textures in FSX for a repaint job. I did not find any.

Karl-Heinz

According to ACES, using the "Reload User Aircraft" should display a new livery, providing you don't have any AI using the same model, in which case the texture cache won't be flushed...

Also, after so many reloads of the plane, it stops flushing. :D Then you have to reboot the sim to see the updates.

Thanks Karl and Fr. Bill for the input on the configs and switching them.

Bill

Back