• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Palermo Punta Raisi airport (LICJ)

Country
france
Hello there!

First of all, i'd like to say that this is a very nice forum and it's great to see the numerous beautiful projects around here.
I'm an aircraft painter but I wanted to create a scenery for a long time. I tried many times with Gmax, but the result was not to my taste.
Then I discovered Google Sketchup. With that program, even a newbie can produce something at least average.

So i took my chance and decided to create one of my favourite airports: Palermo Punta Raisi (also known as Falcone e Borsellino). The scenery should be available in the next few hours.

The photoreal ground textures are part of a brilliant "Sicilia photoreal" package created by Mazzokan.

Here we go with the airport pictures:

licj2.jpg

licj1.jpg

licj3.jpg

licj4.jpg

licj5.jpg

licj8.jpg

licj7.jpg

licj12.jpg

licj10.jpg

licj11.jpg

Hope you like it, comments are very welcome! :)

Best regards,
Thomas

Thanks a lot for the kind comments!

You did this all with GSU ?

Yep, GSU was used for the 3D work. And then i played a bit with ADE for the airport layout and to add cars, trucks, etc.
What I love about GSU is that it's really easy to put the textures on the buildings. With Gmax i struggle to do this effectively. Gmax is for sure much more powerful than GSU, but GSU is good enough for the not so complex design (even though i've already seen some quite complex work done with GSU by experienced designers).

Is it also possible to get this one for fs9

I guess it would be possible to make the scenery work into FS9, but that would mean that some things would not be the same as in FSX (i used default FSX jetways for instance, stock vehicles on the airport, etc.) . I will look into it, but this could take some time ;)

Cheers!

Thomas, hello this is an impressive work.

Google Sketchup you say ? waouw.

You told us that you will release it in some hours ?

You mean as freeware on Avsim or Flightsim

or is it payware (it worths it )

dom Mason

Airdailyx
http://airdailyx.blogspot.com/

Hi Dom!

The scenery has already been uploaded to Avsim.com, only waiting for the library to be updated.
Thanks a lot for your kind comment, but the scenery is far far away from payware quality ;)
Let's see the first upload as a "non-complete" scenery. I could not create many buildings because i lack good pictures, but I chose to upload the scenery anyway to get some feedback about what is wrong in it. I still think it's better than the default airport, so our fellow fsx simmers can wait a little more in the meantime as i collect more information about the airport and its buildings. I hope to bring a more complete version with a much better apron texture than default's. But this will take time, as i have no idea how to do :D

I'll let you tuned!

Okay Thomas Thanks you and keep up the good work.

I am always complaining about the lack of italian airports but
at last, one more !

And there are lot if pleasant flights to plan to palermo ;

from Regio di Calabre, Ajaccio, Monastir etc etc..

Dom Mason

I am always complaining about the lack of italian airports but
at last, one more !

That's true! We really lack Italian airports (in FSX at least). I remember the time when ISD Project used to upload many sceneries. Too bad they're not around anymore.

And there are lot if pleasant flights to plan to palermo ; from Regio di Calabre, Ajaccio, Monastir etc etc..

Its location is very interesting indeed. You've got the usual domestic flights up north to Napoli, Roma or Milano, but even more interesting is the "island hopping" to Lampedusa and Pantelleria (those could be future nice scenery projects by the way, not very complicated to create because the facilities are quite basic :p )

Beautiful work Thomas, I'm particurlarly impressed that you did this all in Sketchup. Excellent! :)

Jim

Many thanks and congratulations on this wonderful scenery man!!

I'll be downloading this immediately!

Simply excellent!
applause2.gif

Looks like another artist around here.

Sicily is a great place to come (flying).
I have landed in Catania once and the final approach was very exciting.

I hope you will also make an FS9 version too so I can enjoy it myself.
Anyway: big congrats!

Last edited:
Thanks again for the very nice comments guys! The scenery is now available at avsim.com . I hope you won't be too disappointed by the lack of custom apron textures. This is the next step, and once i figure out how to do they should appear in the second version of the scenery, along with additional buildings :)

Great work Thomas !

And to all 'surprised' by Sketchup, it is a very powerful tool (as shown here) that deserves more mentioning I think.
I started working with it myself some months ago, but got sidetracked by 'real life' :-(

I'll be doing presentations on it at Paderborn (Aerosoft Weekend), in Paris in October and at Lelystad in November. I hope to get more people interested in using it. It is certainly a great tool for beginning freeware developers (like me :D ) !

You learn very quickly, Thomas32:eek:...i didn't realized that this post was yours when i read it for the first time:)
Waiting for Tripoli now...:D

Hi.

What a fantastic job you have done and congratulations Thomas!! Sketchup is clearly interesting tool for design in FS. Do you know if there are any tutorials around on how to use it in scenerydesign for FS?

Thanks a lot Fracois, Jencas, Fred and Kjartan!

Francois, i'm sure your presentation about GSU will be very interesting. This tool will likely be used widely once a few designers upload good sceneries.

Waiting for Tripoli now...:D
This is one of my old Gmax projects that went bust... :eek:

Do you know if there are any tutorials around on how to use it in scenerydesign for FS?

Sure, here is the one I used to get everything working. Great tutorial: http://www.calclassic.com/sketchup_tutorial.htm

The only thing i did differently was the use of Whisplacer instead of library creator for the objects placing.

Back