• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

BglAnalyze for APX31250.bgl

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Thanks Winfried and Jim, that indeed did the trick :). Now let's continue to explore how I can mix the high resolution aerials with the XML markings.

Country
germany
Update of BglAnalyzeX

Here is the next beta version of the program with some minor bus fixed. I still did not find th correct way to extract the new *.mdl files from OBX****.mdl,
since BglComp refuses to load these file when you try to compile the xml. Since it is no longer possible to make a new GUID via a "name= x" parameter, the GUIDS of the extracted *.mdl files are added as comments only.
Winfried

Last edited:

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Here is the next beta version of the program with some minor bus fixed. I still did not find th correct way to extract the new *.mdl files from OBX****.mdl,
Winfried

I can extract them OK but re-compiling is where the problem is - the new BGLComp won't accept the name attribute with the GUID in.

Thanks for the update Winfried :)

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
since BglComp refuses to load these file when you try to compile the xml. Since it is no longer possible to make a new GUID via a "name= x" parameter, the GUIDS of the extracted *.mdl files are added as comments only.
Winfried

Thanks for the update Winfried. I'll try to see if I can help with the OBX files, if I find something I'll let you know.

Country
us-wisconsin
Thanks for the BGL analyze tool. I'm happy that someone with the know-how has taken the initative to put it out. :)

I'm currently in the process of fixing Minneapolis/St. Paul Int'l. I see they put the new runway in there by default, but...well, it's still under construction...just a ramp with about half of the taxiways. :mad:

So, I'm not trying to wander too far off topic here, but is there an easy way to figure out what airport lies within what file APX.... file beyond the "trial and error" method?

So far, I have the runway in where it's supposed to be along with the ILS and all that good stuff, but now I have to try and tie the default taxi network into the added stuff.

I did learn that if you add ANY taxiways to a new BGL file, it will wipe out all of the exisiting ones...so, it seems imperitive that the entire network be in one file.

Country
england
So, I'm not trying to wander too far off topic here, but is there an easy way to figure out what airport lies within what file APX.... file beyond the "trial and error" method?

No trial and error involved, straight and simple, just download TCalcX from the FSX Mesh forum. When you connect TCalcX to FSX you will see in the top right hand corner, Dir# and File#.

Country
england
Hi Winfried,

I was wondering if there was any chance you could tweak your BGLAnalyze program to accept a bgl filename as a command line parameter?

It'd be really handy to be able to launch it from other programs and associate BGL files with your program. That way we can add your program to the context menu in Windows Explorer and simply right-click a BGL file and select Analyze BGL from the pop up menu.

Just a thought! Thanks for all the hard work,

All the best

Ian

Country
germany
I think it will not be to difficult to do that, but probably I will have to postpone this until I can fill the other gaps in the program. One of my problems is that I am still unable to analyze the BRX**.bgl files, since I do not understand the documentation for making ExtrusionBridges. Has anyone succeeded in making an ExtrusionBridge with Bglcomp? Maybe he could be kind enough to give an example of the xml code for that?

Country
us-texas
Great job on the BglAnalyzeX tool! It is already proving to be extremely useful.

I found this thread when I was searching for information on why my boundary fences were not compiling properly. Based on information here it became apparent that the SDK documentation and/or bglcomp compiler have some issues when it comes to boundary fences.

I was really wanting a boundary fence so I did a lot of experimenting and here is what I came up with. I found that I was able to compile a boundary fence successfully with the following xml:

Code:
<BoundaryFence
	instanceId="{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}"
	profile="{5acb60e6-992b-41c7-929b-e31d5343cd29}">
	<Vertex lat="32.791960" lon="-97.189210" />
	<Vertex lat="32.792283" lon="-97.187687" />
	<Vertex lat="32.792695" lon="-97.187235" />
	<Vertex lat="32.792760" lon="-97.181615" />
	<Vertex lat="32.794192" lon="-97.181408" />
	<Vertex lat="32.794204" lon="-97.180397" />
	<Vertex lat="32.794046" lon="-97.180319" />
	<Vertex lat="32.792727" lon="-97.180031" />
	<Vertex lat="32.791555" lon="-97.178028" />
	<Vertex lat="32.790917" lon="-97.177420" />
	<Vertex lat="32.789921" lon="-97.177473" />
	<Vertex lat="32.789955" lon="-97.179131" />
	<Vertex lat="32.789549" lon="-97.179274" />
	<Vertex lat="32.783963" lon="-97.178164" />
	<Vertex lat="32.782800" lon="-97.178437" />
	<Vertex lat="32.782809" lon="-97.179114" />
	<Vertex lat="32.789690" lon="-97.181820" />
	<Vertex lat="32.789919" lon="-97.182057" />
	<Vertex lat="32.790762" lon="-97.187351" />
	<Vertex lat="32.791271" lon="-97.189261" />
	<Vertex lat="32.791960" lon="-97.189210" />
</BoundaryFence>

Note the uppercase "I" in "instanceId". I found that "instanceId" would compile successfully but "instanceid" would return errors.

I also got errors if I omitted the "instanceId" attribute even though the SDK says that this attribute is optional.

The last challenge was trying to figure out what to use for the profile GUID. I searched around and found that these are defined in the ...\SDK\Environment Kit\Autogen SDK\Autogen source xml\Extrusions.xml file. Just open that file in notepad and search for "Boundary Fence". There are several to choose from. The GUID in the example above is the "Medium Boundary Fence".

Hopefully this information will also prove useful in your efforts to have the BglAnalyze tool decompile the boundary fence information.

Don

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Hi Don

That information will certainly be very useful - thanks :)

Has anyone succeeded in making an ExtrusionBridge with Bglcomp?

I am working on one at the present time. Once I have it completed will post the XML.

I also found the same on the airport Boundary and Blast Fence that Don posted.

The XSD schema says

<xs:complexType name="ctVectorPlacement">
<xs:sequence>
<xs:element name="Vertex" type="ctVertexLL" minOccurs="2" maxOccurs="unbounded" />
</xs:sequence>

<xs:attribute name="instanceId" form="unqualified" type="stGuid" use="optional" />
<xs:attribute name="profile" form="unqualified" type="stGuid" use="required" />
</xs:complexType>

<xs:complexType name="ctVisualModel">
<xs:sequence>
<xs:element name="BiasXYZ" type="ctBias" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="1" />
</xs:sequence>
<xs:attribute name="imageComplexity" form="unqualified" type="stComplexity" />
<xs:attribute name="heading" form="unqualified" type="stHeading" />
<xs:attribute name="name" form="unqualified" type="stGuid" use="required" />
<xs:attribute name="instanceId" form="unqualified" type="stGuid" use="optional" />
</xs:complexType>

which shows the correct spelling for
name="instanceId"
but also says it is
use="optional" />
but that is not true

Country
germany
Thanks for the information, I already updated BglAnalyzeX, you will find the next version attached.
Another glitch in the documentation which I discovered today:
the list of possible parameters under "DeleteAirport" is incomplete. The xsd lists some more:
<xs:attribute name="deleteAllBlastFences" form="unqualified" type="stBool" />
<xs:attribute name="deleteAllBoundaryFences" form="unqualified" type="stBool" />
<xs:attribute name="deleteAllControlTowers" form="unqualified" type="stBool" />
<xs:attribute name="deleteAllJetways" form="unqualified" type="stBool" />
and BglComp accepts them. So we now know not only to put but also to remove fences, a problem which bothered me a lot, because sometimes you will have to move or to extend a runway and it is not so nice to have the fence run across ...

Last edited:
Sorry Winfried that I had not brought the missing attribute names to everyones attention. It has been posted on several web sites and the SDK document was incomplete. MS/ACES also has been made aware of the error.

All 4 additional attribute names listed in the xsd have been tested and used for my updated KATL.

Country
us-minnesota
problem with xml generated by BglAnalyzeX

I love this process! Great little program is BglAnalyzeX.

One problem: With the new version, you get this code with Blast and Boundary fences:

<BoundaryFence
profile="{A3A491B1-EF49-47DB-9C2B-080F48A5EA5D}">
instanceId="{29099C28-2691-436B-AA3E-0796E2137001}">

The complier does not like the ">" at the end of the profile line.

Additionally, there are extraneous "-->" inserted in the fence section.

Example:
<BlastFence
profile="{5B05E5FC-915B-4C87-A31D-615BC9DBF1AB}">
instanceId="{3E16EAA2-D85E-41FE-B0C2-66698AE85351}">
<Vertex lat="N44 52.54092" lon="W093 11.86699"/>
<Vertex lat="N44 52.51392" lon="W093 11.89038"/>
</BlastFence>
-->

Keep up the fun work!

Country
us-minnesota
I'm currently in the process of fixing Minneapolis/St. Paul Int'l. I see they put the new runway in there by default, but...well, it's still under construction...just a ramp with about half of the taxiways. :mad:

I am happy someone is working on MSP (which can be found in APX23160.bgl - but I'm guessing you know that already). Our house is directly under the approach for 12L! I have been working on extracting MSP so I can get the airline parking correct. I have a version of KMSP.xml that I was hoping to splice your new runway info into.

As a long time programmer but newcomer to the FS programing world (funny that I never got interested in this until FSX - I remember long ago playing MSFS 2.0 on a 8088 based PC!), it is a long uphill climb!

Country
us-minnesota
Rogue data record in APX***.bgl

There appears to be (at least) one remaining unknown feature that BglAnalyze just labels "unknown feature not supported by bglcomp."

In the KMSP section, that record has over 600 entries of the form:
<Vertex lat="N44 52.94496" lon="W093 11.46329"/>

Could this be a "Geopol" record type?

cheers!