• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Terrain patch

Country
france
Hi all,

Thanks to informations from Holger Sandmann and Luis Feliz-Tirado, I managed to decode most of lclookup.bgl. I am proposing to establish a new standard for it so as to fix a few annoying things with the way FSX displays terrain.

- Featureless white on mountains changed for snow/rock depending on slope
- Sand textures on steep slopes replaced with rocks
- Crops extending to slopes ~15 degrees steep
- etc.

You can find this modified lclookup.bgl here :
http://arnaud.clere.free.fr/FlightSimulator/fsx_lc_fix_ac.7z
(use http://www.7-zip.org/ to decompress the archive)

The archive also contains a fixed mask for snow (removes tile edges when merging snow with some other class) and modified 900/901 masks so that different classes blend without "leopard skin" effect.

I am posting here because I think modifying lclookup.bgl is a double-edged sword that can help us or harm us (scenery authors). I think fixing the above problems is worthy but I would not like to see many different versions of lclookup.bgl around. So, I would like to be sure that this version reaches a consensus among scenery authors before delivering it to a wider audience.

Also, since the mapping of textures depending on landclass/slope/polygons is so complex and touches the whole world, I would appreciate if you could test it for real and tell me about any problems encountered.

Thanks,

Arnaud Clère

An example of beautifully looking mountains using this modified lclookup.bgl
adieu_meringue_fsx.jpg

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Hi Arnaud.

I'll test this over the next few days, and see if I have any problems.

Dick

Country
france
Hi Dick,
I am glad someone eventually felt interested in it :)
Here is an Excel sheet with a synthetic view of lclookup.bgl and the proposed changes (in red). It should help people test the changes and understand what's possible by changing lclookup.bgl.
http://arnaud.clere.free.fr/FlightSimulator/lclookup.xls
Basically, starting with a LC in classes sheet, you should switch LC according to Remap type and slope (not sure in what order), then take a texture index according to region. Then look at its characteristics on the second worksheet of the document.
Cheers,
Arnaud

Country
scotland
I have to say, the screenshot looks great! Could you maybe show a before and after shot so we can better see what's going on?

Cheers
Alun

Country
france
Hi,

Mountains are uniformly white in default FSX. Rather than reloading FSX scenery a hundreds of times in order to take comparative screenshots, I encourage everyone to try it for their region and see what is improved (or not), then take a look at the Excel document to see the details of what's been changed.

Cheers,

Arnaud

Country
us-hawaii
I stumbled on this thread thanks to Holger. Thanks Arnaud for your work on this. I had good success with FS9 version of lclookup mod.

One question I have is how does FSX assign texture to the FSX airport skirtings (bounds)? All texture.cfg gives is the maskclassmap. I understand from Holger that textures 139 and 140 are the ones used. I have seen instances where nearby airports have different textures.

scott s.

Country
italy
One question I have is how does FSX assign texture to the FSX airport skirtings (bounds)? All texture.cfg gives is the maskclassmap. I understand from Holger that textures 139 and 140 are the ones used. I have seen instances where nearby airports have different textures.

scott s.

I think the assignement of the airport grass textures is connected with the classes positioned in the nearby of the airports. Try to change the classes, and you will have sandy or green grass.

Country
us-hawaii
I guess I suspected something like that. I will have to put together a test LC and investigate some.

scott s.

Country
france
Hi Scott,
Try and have a look at the Excel link previously given for a complete list of LC remappings. I am currently testing a few modifications of these in order to reduce the pervasing problem of irrealistic grassy AND sandy airport skirtings. These are due to two neighbour landclasses rather similar, but where the "airport" remapping will lead to two very different skirtings.
Cheers,
Arnaud

Country
italy
Hi Arnaud!

Very compliment for the good job about lclookup.bgl file ;)
Only a question: I've download your package and I see that last upgrade date (first version) is end of novembre 2006; Will you have a second (most recent) upgrade of the package in next time ?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Country
france
Hi,
Thank you for the kind words. I am still working on improving that. Especially regarding detailed comments from Holger. However, I cannot tell for sure when I will upgrade this work. I am wondering too what to do if lclookup.bgl is improved in the apparently upcoming FSX patch. May be I should tell_fs@microsoft.com and ask them...
Cheers,
Arnaud

Country
us-pennsylvania
Thanks for the ICLOOKUP.BGL. It solved my problem with trees popping up in farm fields. The pop-up textures appeared as jagged zig-zag areas or were shown with straight line borders. Very unnatural. The ICLOOKUP change greatly reduced these and now they only appear where they make sense, on real slopes.

Thanks,
Dick Boley

Country
us-pennsylvania
Changing Slope Detection - ICLOOKUP?

I really dislike the zig-zag pattern that Microsoft uses to place trees on slopes. While your ICLOOKUP makes it more tolerable I would like to experiment with it some more. My question is how can I make further changes to go higher than the 15% slope you set?
Dick Boley

Last edited: