• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Nice combination of MCX and Blender

Dutcheeseblend

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi guys!

I've been using Blender 2.6x until now for modelling, and I found out that, when exporting in a .x format, checking 'Export animations' will get an animated model in FSX:D Using MCX it is possible to tag the animations now! Though I'm still researching the best way for this procedure, I wanted to share this with you all;) For me personally, this is really nice, because I don't need Gmax anymore:D :p

Oh, Arno, is it possible to add visibility tags and mouse rectangles via MCX?
Thanks for your great program!!

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

At the moment ModelConverterX can "only" read and show visibility tags and mouse rectangles.

What kind of workflow would you like to see to add them? Select an model part and then select the right tag?

Dutcheeseblend

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Thankyou for your reply!

Yes, that kind of workflow maybe.

I've still to tweak the handling of the animation exporting, because there are a few errors appearing in MCX, like a wrong initial angle. Guess it has something to do with the local coordinate systems in Blender.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I'll see what I can do to assign visibility tags and mouse rectangles. Probably the biggest problem would be to keep all parts separate during import. By default all parts with the same material are merged.

How would you like to tag them in blender? Give them a special name or so?

Dutcheeseblend

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Probably giving the objects a special name in Blender won't be too difficult. But are names exported via .X into MCX?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

That would be interesting to try. In the x file they should be kept, but at the moment I only check the names for lod values. But it should be possible to add something for mouse rectangles or visibility tags.

Dutcheeseblend

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Maybe this is possible:
Give in Blender the name, for example, VT_prop0_still, or MR_starter_switch.

In that way, it should even be possible to generate visibility tags and mouse rectangles automatic in MCX. But don't shoot at me, I've absolutely NO insight in programming;):eek:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Yes, I was thinking along the same lines. We can agree on a special name, like the MR and VT you used and than any text after that I can use as name and link it to the correct definition in the modeldef.xml file.

Could you maybe make a simple test file in blender to test this? Just a few cubes is fine, but then I have some file to test with.

Dutcheeseblend

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Ok, that's great! In the attached file are a blender and a x file to play with;)

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Thanks, I'll have a look.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I have made the change now. From tomorrows development release the mouse rectangle and visibility tag can be parsed from the frame names in X file. Any part behind MR_ or VT_ is considered as the mouse rectangle or visibility tag name.

Be aware that the option ParseFrameNames must be true. By default I made it false to prevent weird things from happening if people include MR_ or VT_ by accident.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Looking forward to hear if it works (or if you find some issues ;))

Dutcheeseblend

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
After importing a .X file into MXC, Visibility Conditions and Mouse Rectangles appear in the Hierarchy Viewer correctly (in a SceneGraphNode). But after exporting to FSX, mouserects seem not to be exported. After importing the just created mdl back into MCX, they're also not showing up.

About vistags I don't have a clue yet, because it seems that, in the .X file, objects with the same origin are merged together. But that is not an issue of MCX;) more of the modeller.

Well, comparing with an imported .mdl of a default FSX aircraft doesn't give clarity, because the hierarchy of that aircraft are far more complex.

Anyway, thanks for the great job;)

Dutcheeseblend

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Arno, now I've some time to explain my tests.

In Blender, I made:
a sphere (name: VT_prop0_blurred),
a throttle control (name: MR_lever_throttle0)
a cube (name: VT_prop0_still)

I animated:
the sphere 360 degrees with 5 keyframes (over 100), linear interpolation
the throttle 80 degrees with 3 keyframes (over 100), linear interpolation
the cube 360 degrees with 5 keyframes (over 100), linear interpolation

I exported the selected objects in DirectX (*.X) format, with animations.

In MCX, I imported that file. In the Hierarcy Viewer, every object's SceneGraphNode showed its appropriate Visbility Condition or Mouse Rectangle.

In the Animation Editor, I assigned the animation types.

Then I exported it to FSX, as internal model. But in FSX, both the sphere AND cube showed up (animated, that's oké;)) with running engine. And no hand cursor showed over the throttle.

Importing this .mdl file back into MCX, no Vis.Cond. or MR showed up in the ModelPart listing of the Hierarchy Viewer.

Hope I'm clear enough with this;)

Daan

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Daan,

I'll try to reproduce your issues here.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Should be fixed now. My X file was not correct, it seems that mouse rectangles and visibility conditions can only be applied to modelparts.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Happy to hear that :)