• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Star Technique

Country
ca-princeedwardisland
Could some kind soul please post some info on the star tenique for doing parallel and crosswind as well as having all runways available

Thanks
PJ :)

Barber's Point - been there a generation ago.

Okay first thing to check - FS2004 runways and real world runways.

FS2004 shows:

4R/22L - 8007 x 200
11/29 - 6003 x 200
4L/22R - 4503 x 200

Checking the US FAA airport diagram (link on Airnav.com/airport/phjr)

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0705/00761AD.PDF

4R/22L - 8000 x 200
11/29 - 6000 x 200
4L/22R - 4500 x 200

So the runways are good.

Next we check the runway headings in FS2004:

Rwy 4R - 54.650
Rwy 11 - 120.860
Rwy 4L - 55.870

Okay we can link the runways in this order:

Rwy 4R
Rwy 4L
Rwy 11

Remember I said moving runways can mess up the Navaids - especially the ILS - we check FS2004 and the real world airport approaches - no ILS.

Now the math

Rwy 4R - 54.650
Rwy 4L - 55.870
Fake #1 - 63.770
Fake #2 - 71.670
Fake #3 - 79.570
Fake #4 - 87.470
Fake #5 - 95.370
Fake #6 - 103.270
Fake #7 - 111.170
Fake #8 - 119.070
Rwy 11 - 120.860

(It really helps to use a spreadsheet to create the list of numbers.

So we need eight fake runways to bridge the gap between 4L and 11

I'll name them:
7L
7R
8L
8R

I vastly prefer to use numbers between the real runways and give each a separate number to make troubleshooting easier.

Now where to put the fake runways:

I'll create them next to PHJR.

Save the AFCAD under a different name.

1. In AFCAD - select Insert Runway
2. Click on a blank spot on the screen near the east edge of PHJR
3. Set the Elevation to 0.0
4. Set the True Heading to 63.770
5. Click to select Closed for Takeoff and Closed for Landing on both ends of the runway
6. Set the length to 20 ft
7. Set the width to 10 ft
8. Set the Surface to Asphalt (makes it easier to see them in the AFCAD screen
9. Set the Designator of the Base End to 05

10. Click on the Markings Tab
11. Make sure everything is unchecked

12. Click on the Lights Tab
13. Make sure everything is unchecked

14. Click on the VASI Tab
15. Make sure everything is unchecked

16. Click OK to place the runway
17. Save the AFCAD under a working name

If you zoom in - you can see the runway placed on the screen

Repeat steps 1 - 17 for each of the fake runways.

Last edited:
Once I have all the runways created, zoom in so you can see all eight

I like to place them in a semi-circle to make editing easier.

Then save

check the Runway list to ensure all the runways are present

Move the runways into numerical list order by sliding the up and down the list.

Close the runway list and save the AFCAD

Moving the runways up and down the list has broken the runway taxiway links.

Run the AFCAD fault finder from the Tools menu

The first thing we see is a Hold Short node too far from the runway at the end of Rwy 11. Zoom out

and fix that issue buy moving the node closer to the runway.

Click Find Faults again - another bad hold short node is displayed near the end of Rwy 29. Fix that

one by moving the node closer to the runway.

Click Find Faults again - now our message displays.

LINK DESIGNATOR DOESN'T MATCH THE RUNWAY

These are the black runway link lines, and we have to fix them.

Selecet all in visual range and hold down the CRTL key and double click to bring up the properties

screen.

Change the Designator to match the runway - this one is Rwy 4L/22R

Use the Fault Finder and work completely through the airport until there are no faults found.

At one time it was advocated to remove the runway links and replace/ redraw them. This can increase

the "creep" caused by addition and removal of objects. Working with default links is safer and less

prone to inducing errors.

Save the AFCAD and Close the AFCAD program

Restart AFCAD and open that modified AFCAD - make sure all your changes have been reflected.

Now to move the fake runways out of the way.

Open the Runway list (personally I like to zoom in on the fake runway semi-circle)

We have to determine where to place the runways -

The first runway - Rwy 05/23 - has a position of:

N21* 18' 07.16"
W158* 02' 25.41"

I'm going to change the position of each runway to S71 degrees

Just change the first two characters of each Longitude position - every thing else to remain the

same.

That location is very far south - almost to Antarctica - if you go to that location - you will see

nothing on the surface of the water.

Save the AFCAD and close the AFCAD program.

Make sure you have only one AFCAD for PHJR - and start FS2004 to check your work.

I'll add more and some screen shots tomorrow.

I use a spreadsheet because MS Excel makes significantly fewer errors in addition or subtraction than I do.

That's what I understand most of the tools provided in the past were - spreadsheets. I don't keep a template - it's easy to open Excel and add a couple quick formula than to try and find a specific file somewhere on my computer.

But the really key thing is the early tutorial talked about using magnetic headings.

No, No, No.

Way, Way too much math to convert from magnetic to true heading - set the angle difference to 7.9 or less degrees and convert back.

One other thing - I never type in the headings in AFCAD - I copy / paste them from the spreadsheet. My fat fingers and bad eyes have transposed too many numbers over the years.

Last edited:
Work and travel have kept me away from my FS computers most of the past month, but I'm back home and will be working on this again.

Star Runway technique for LEMD

Hello all:

I'm trying to enhance the default LEMD - Madrid Barajas, and I think that the key to do the AI Traffic more realistic is the so called "Star Runway" technique, but I don´t find some basicaexplanation about how this technique works.

Someone could help me?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Félix Fernández de Castro (Oviedo, Spain)

Hello rfields,

can I have your permission to translate your Tutorial in German for the People in German Language Areas.

Some of my good Friends dont understand english Language.

A little question I Have:

How far is the minimum distance to set the fake runways.
It is recomended to set them in the Antarctic? Or is it enough to set them in the Middle of the Atlantic when I want to change the Runways in
Hamburg (EDDH) and Frankfurt/Main (EDDF)?

Another question is this:

What shall I do when I Have ILS at the runways.

You spell from problems by Navaids.

Okay we can link the runways in this order:

Rwy 4R
Rwy 4L
Rwy 11

Remember I said moving runways can mess up the Navaids - especially the ILS - we check FS2004 and the real world airport approaches - no ILS.

Now the math

Thanks for reply.

Last edited:
I want to rekindle this because something I am looking at just makes no sense at all. I have been flying for many years (learned actually from my dad at 8 and went to flight school in college) and I must be missing something...

Now the math

Rwy 4R - 54.650
Rwy 4L - 55.870
Fake #1 - 63.770
Fake #2 - 71.670
Fake #3 - 79.570
Fake #4 - 87.470
Fake #5 - 95.370
Fake #6 - 103.270
Fake #7 - 111.170
Fake #8 - 119.070
Rwy 11 - 120.860

I'll name them:
7L
7R
8L
8R

Ok... my problem is that using standard rounding that is used by airports, I get this:

63.77 = 6
71.67 = 7
79.57 = 8
87.47 = 9
95.37 = 10L
103.27 = 10R
111.17 = 11
119.07 = 12

I can't figure out why or how you would come to name your runways as you do???

I am asking because I am creating a spreadsheet that will do all this automatically...and am trying to figure out if I have just gone insane or what before I do the formula's.

- Greg

I want to rekindle this because something I am looking at just makes no sense at all. I have been flying for many years (learned actually from my dad at 8 and went to flight school in college) and I must be missing something...

Ok... my problem is that using standard rounding that is used by airports, I get this:

63.77 = 6
71.67 = 7
79.57 = 8
87.47 = 9
95.37 = 10L
103.27 = 10R
111.17 = 11
119.07 = 12

I can't figure out why or how you would come to name your runways as you do???

I am asking because I am creating a spreadsheet that will do all this automatically...and am trying to figure out if I have just gone insane or what before I do the formula's.

- Greg

Runway numbers have no meaning. The list is a designers preference. The rule is, you cannot use a actual runway number that is already assigned to the airport/runway in the XML. There is a spreadsheet on AVSIM that does the math.

Thanks Jim!! I understand the numbers really mean nothing (rwy numbers) but still makes me wonder why they would use numbers that ARE incorrect. hehe NO biggie, just peaked my interest.

I did a quick search there but probably didn't phrase it correctly a few days ago, cause I found nothing... But I did create my own already and it works great. :)

Thanks again... I love the quick replies I get here (to most of my posts..hehe) :)

- Greg

ADD: Of course, I didn't search for anything as obvious as "Star spreadsheet" LOL!!!!!

Last edited:
i also number them in sequence like Reggie shows,
then it's really easy to hear the sequence from start to finish when one is checking them with ATIS open in FS,
if i don't hear the rwy's being called in the right sequence should one not be called,
i then know exactly which one to check the heading of,
so easy to be .1 of the heading out
but as Jim pointed out you can call them what you like

Ok... several things... Will the Airport info and GPS always show the info for ALL the xwind runways? That's a bit annoying, but if it must be...ok..

I read above where you can check if they worked ok or not using ATIS. Well, here is the thing. My airport HAD ATIS. Still shows the ATIS frequency..but now, I can tune it, but it is not there. :( Any ideas? It's in the list of frequencies. It's a valid freq. Never changed from when it worked just fine.

- Greg

Something I noticed now that my x-winds seem to be working fine.

With wind out of 195 at 6, an AI jet landed on 04. NOT the 2 obvious choices of 17 or 22. Anyone have any ideas why this would occur?

Also, I enjoy hearing the ATIS info, but sort of bummed that it lists other runways as being active. ie, 17 Center. There is no 17 center (cept for the x-wind). Is this normal or did I do something wrong?

And lastly, since it says that landing is available on 17 and 17C, (ATIS) will ATC give 17C as a runway for you to land on? This would be very bad. hehe

- Greg

Something I noticed now that my x-winds seem to be working fine.

With wind out of 195 at 6, an AI jet landed on 04. NOT the 2 obvious choices of 17 or 22. Anyone have any ideas why this would occur?

Also, I enjoy hearing the ATIS info, but sort of bummed that it lists other runways as being active. ie, 17 Center. There is no 17 center (cept for the x-wind). Is this normal or did I do something wrong?

And lastly, since it says that landing is available on 17 and 17C, (ATIS) will ATC give 17C as a runway for you to land on? This would be very bad. hehe

- Greg

FSX is a little lazy at times when we request the airport/runways to turn around. When testing runways with proper wind direction it is best to save your airport with the wind settings. Shut down FSX and restart selecting your saved airport.

When the ACES group adds a runway to the FSX airport and then closes it they also remove the ATIS code so that runway is not announced. When we do the same (add runway and close) ACES did not expose the ATIS code for us to stop the announcement of the closed runway. If you set the airport to IMC then ATIS will not announce the closed runways as a landing runway.

ATIS is a voice code and does not play any role in the coding of runway selection. In ADE we place all the closed 10x10 ft runways at the North Pole. The runway selection code will not vector any plane to a runway for NKL that is placed that far away from the ARP (Airport Reference Point).

That makes perfect sense. Would be nice if they indeed plan on no more ACES and no more FS from MS, then maybe they would just go ahead and release all pertinent information so that those of you amazing programmers can continue on making it better and better.

Thanks Jim.

- Greg

LIRF Problems

Hello,
i follow this post and try to resolve the takeoff landing runways in LIRF - Rome Fiumicino with ADE 1.50 pro version.
In this airport there is a main 25 takeoff (close landing) and the 2 parallels 16R-L (or 34R-L) for landing.
I try to add 8 fake runways as suggest but nothing.
I try to close all takeoff and landing runways and only 25 for takeoof but nothing.
I try with crosswinds techniques, nothing.

The takeoff and lading remain only for 16R-L or 34R-L!

I attach the ADE_file if is possible to correct.
Many thanks for the help.
Simone

Attachments

• LIRF_ADEX_ADE.BGL
    79.4 KB · Views: 426
  • LIRF_ADE_OBJ.BGL
    94 KB · Views: 390
Back