• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FS2004 Parking configuration

Country
us-northcarolina
Hi all,

I have designed several airports but when it comes to that kind of parking situation I'm not sure what to do. How do you all handle this parking style since FS will not park aircraft backwards?

async

Country
us-northcarolina
Thank you Mr. Expert :rotfl: I looked in my mess, I don't have one of those.
Did you finally fix your other system?

For all others readers: c'mon guys you MUST have gotten that situation. What did you do about it?

Country
unitedstates
Not a very complete mess.

Yup. Been up for two days. Very long story.

Nope. Never seen that situation. In real life, do planes taxi into those positions or are they moved by hand(so to speak)?

I'll think on it. Drive through or some kind of angle parking?

Bob

Country
us-northcarolina
I suppose in real life those aircraft are pushed back with some kind of trolley (manual hook-up on front wheel).

Honestly I don't see a viable solution other than making space for the aircraft to come from behind and just drive in. That reduces the number of parking spots tremendously.
The other solution is to pretend not seeing the AI driving through each other :)

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
GA planes are often manually parked - especially the small ones.

Country
unitedstates
There are some scenery objects that have small GA placed that way, that can be placed into your scenery. I'm thinking of GA planes 1 thru 4 as part of a library called fs9_custom_objects_SS_1.bgl. This was done by Sidney Schwartz
fs9_custom_objects_ss_1_v2.zip

Country
us-northcarolina
Hi Rick...thanks for your suggestion however I very seldom use static aircraft. And in that case it still wouldn't help unless all aircraft used was static, else you still need 2 openings to let 1 AI aircraft in.

Country
unitedstates
Frenchie,

Well not quite sure what you mean? This is what it looks like in the MSFS and in ADEX

KARR_GAPlanes.jpg

The real AI aircraft are where the red arrow points. The others are two scenery objects one on the left and right. Now I did this up quite quickly, so it does need tweaking.

IMO, it is pretty hard, even with the tools we have, to completely fill an airort with just AI to the extent the real airport would have real aircraft based there. So, like everything in MSFS, it takes a compromises. We just get the illusion the airport is operating as the real one. :)

Anyway, just a suggestion. Good luck with your project.

Rick

Country
us-northcarolina
You are absolutely right Rick, it's all about illusion with limitations. We (I) are just trying to push the limits as far as they stretch. And I always like to read about others opinions, even if they don't bring in THE miracle solution they sometimes generate new ideas.

Gaiiden

FSDevConf team
Country
unitedstates
sfrenchie, I solved this problem for myself a little while ago. Here is the technique I use now:

kcdw%20ade.png

It produces results like this:

KCDW_03.jpg

Download my scenery for this airport, which includes the ADE file and check it out. If you have any questions just post em here.

Aircraft don't park in parking spaces using this technique, but as Jon has already noted, small aircraft are manually parked so the AI shut down on the taxiway right near the parking spot as they would in real life so just some additional realism there :) The chances that another AI craft will come through and taxi through the "parked" AI craft before it disappears are slim.

Country
us-northcarolina
Hi Drew,

Thank you for the input. I couldn't use the download since I'm flying FS2004.
I'm unsure what exactly happens. Do your AI go past the parking spot, turn around, then park?

Gaiiden

FSDevConf team
Country
unitedstates
they taxi up to an open parking spot, kinda turn in towards it a bit and then just shut down on the taxiway. Note that they shut down at the last node before the parking spot, so you can, if there's room, draw them off the taxiway a bit before they shut down to clear the way for other traffic. Like this:

n81%20ade.png

The highlighted node point will draw the AI off the main taxiway line towards the parking area to shut down. Without that node, the AI would turn off very slightly from the taxiway and shut down and block traffic.

Mostly you'll just have to experiment with it to understand how it works, but it does.

So you can't run the airport in FS9 but you can still open the ADE file right?

Gaiiden

FSDevConf team
Country
unitedstates
What was the error? I can't think of why it wouldn't open in ADE unless the FSX and FS9 versions are different?

I'll find some time after I wrap my latest airport project this weekend to write up a quick tutorial explaining things better. I've been meaning to share this technique for a while anyways

Country
unitedstates
What was the error? I can't think of why it wouldn't open in ADE unless the FSX and FS9 versions are different?

I'll find some time after I wrap my latest airport project this weekend to write up a quick tutorial explaining things better. I've been meaning to share this technique for a while anyways

Patrick has to have the FSX SDK and service packs and possibly FSX installed to open an FSX airport in ADE.

Bob