• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

3Ds Max SDK gamepack plugin error

Country
portugal
Hey. I downloaded a free trial of 3ds max to see how it works to texture bake, I found blender very complicated.
So I copy '3DSM9' folder and paste it on the Plugin folder in 3ds max directory, didn't work.
Tried on 3ds max to get the path of the sdk folder, but both ways I got the same error:
The first error appear automatically when I start 3ds max, the last one, appears when I try any tools from the Aces tool tab

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 519

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Which version of Max? I'll bet it's not Max 9 and hope it's not 2013.

You need the P3D SDKs for recent Max versions, both versions 2.x and 1.4. You use the 2.x for the plugins and exporter and version 1.4 to get the XToMDL compiler compatible with FSX.

Don't go copying folders around, read the installation instructions.

Country
portugal
yap, actually it is. Altough I remember some time ago I got a trial version of 9 and it did the same thing. Read on a forum that a recent version would work. Something is wrong with my system, I'm going to format my pc soon, so, I'll see if that works.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
If you're using Max 9 then I'd still recommend the P3D 1.4 sdk. It's easier to install.

Country
spain
3ds max 9 work fine with fsx, I have installed it in many occasions and always have worked. and with the SDK for max9.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I've had the FSX sdk running fine with Max 2008 a while too. It's just that to install up to the Acceleration sdk is a tedious multi-step process (see the Wiki article.) P3D v1.4 sdk is a single install and is Acceleration-compatible straight away.

Country
spain
Really, I think we would have much more fsx developers if the SDK process no would be so confusing. anyway Reading the wiki lately it say that having Acceleration just you have to install this SDK could be this be posible ?. or I undestood this wrong. I think it can't be posible. one have to install each and every SDK services packs.

Last edited:

Paul Domingue

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
There are no trial versions of Max 9. If you did find one it is bogus. There are trials of the latest versions and if this is what you got then everything you need is in the P3D SDK.

Country
portugal
There are no trial versions of Max 9. If you did find one it is bogus. There are trials of the latest versions and if this is what you got then everything you need is in the P3D SDK.

I downloaded one, when it asked to input the codes (which I didn't have) I selectred: TRY. that made it 30 days trial. I unninstalled it, so I can't confirm that it was version 9, but I think it was. I'm going to try your suggestions then.

Anyway, does the SDK need to be the same SP as FSX? Because I installed Gmax on my OTHER computer, went to install the gamepack (I have installed in THIS computer), and the same errors as 3ds max appeared... The only thing I may have done wrong is the versions of the sdk and fsx...

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
There is a very good article on troubleshooting the FSX sdk in the Wiki, in the Tools section. Read that.