1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A-7D Corsair II

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by Gecko6, 10/12/06.

1. Gecko6

Gecko6

us-iowa
    These are some work-in-progress shots for a somewhat, rare bird with in the Sim Community - the A-7D Corsair II. We chose this aircraft because, well, for the most part there hasn't been a definitive model (i.e. like Captain Sims) on the A-7D.

Why the A-7D you ask? Honestly, it's kind of a neglected aircraft, one that you don't see modeled too often or accurately. We hope to change that with the A-7 and produce some other aircraft that are; #1 challenging, and #2 Rarely modeled, and #3 Have an interesting history. Too many F-16's, F-18's, F-15's, F-22's and the likes have been modeled over and over again. So we want to produce some aircraft that are not too popular but that were crucial assets in their time.

We will be representing all variants of the Corsair II Family.

USN

A-7A
    A-7B
    A-7C
    TA-7C
    A-7E

USAF / ANG

A-7D
    A-7K
    A-7F

HAF

A-7E
    A-7H
    TA-7C

Portugal

A-7P

This model is obviously a WIP, and Dale has got a long way to go on it. The fuselage is 5K poly count. It is being created in Cinema 4D, then when it is done it will be exported to 3DS Max and there another modeler will get it prepped to animate and do final texturing and export to FS2004,FSX, and Strike Fighters.

Features will include a detailed inlet and authentic fan, detailed moving pilot, standard array of lighting, Virtual cockpit, systems such as the PMDS, Radar, and HUD. etc...

Research is going far better then we could have imagined and I am very pleased with the library we have to date. Today we have gained the help of the South Dakota ANG and the Colorado ANG.

Enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: 11/12/06
  2. robby88

robby88

australia
    Nice to see someone posting a wip on aircraft.

However it would be nice if we could see the pics or there was a link to the pics. :confused: ;)
  3. Gecko6

Gecko6

us-iowa
    The images are not showing up?

I see them fine, is this on my end or a fluke?
  4. robby88

robby88

australia
    Nope still invisible here. I can see images in most other threads :confused:
  5. Gecko6

Gecko6

us-iowa
    I recreated the links again and they show up on mine. Are they showing up this time?
    :confused:
  6. Paavo

Paavo

estonia
    Yes, they are.

The first time you were probably linking images from a site that had hotlink protection enabled. Hotlink protection prevents displaying images from that server on other sites to minimize bandwidth usage. Since the images were already loaded by your browser, it did not try to download them again when you posted them here, but instead showed them directly from your browser's memory.
  7. robby88

robby88

australia
    I can see them ok today.... very nice I might add :).

However I could see images in every other thread here yesterday.

Looking forward to seeing more progress pics along the way.
  8. Mace

Mace

us-missouri
    The A-7 (Jug II) is a great aircraft to do! Great job!

Work in progress shots are indeed very interesting to see.
  9. Geiger.Daniel

Geiger.Daniel

germany
    Very nice WIP shoots indeed and I'm happy to see it modelled in Cinema 4D ('Cause I use the same program for scenery design ;) ).

Spline or cylinder/HyperNurbs modelling?
  10. allfiredup

allfiredup

us-california
    working on the A-7D in C4D

Hi, I work with Gecko06 on the A-7D Corsair II.

I use HyperNURBS modeling most of the time, but there are time when I go in and use a spline within a lathe for certain parts of the model. I work mostly in Symmetry mode too. I have the model at a low polygon count and then place it within a HyperNURBS at various levels to achieve levels of detail. http://www.colacola.se/ is a great place to learn to model aircraft with Cinema 4D. Check out his tutorial - http://www.colacola.se/wip_p47.htm

The reason I use Cinema 4D is because I also use it professionally as a visual effects artist. I just got C4D 10 studio so I'm really excited to throw this model into Bodypaint and go to town. :)

~DJ
  11. robby88

robby88

australia
    Looking forward to seeing this aircraft. Would be great to see a few more WIP pics from time to time :)
  12. Geiger.Daniel

Geiger.Daniel

germany
    :D colacola.se got me into aircraft modelling. Since I don't own bodypaint, I have to texture all in gMax before exporting into FS. Some months ago somebody sent me an *.3ds object textured with bodypaint and asked, if I can test the export into FS. And it worked really nice. The mapping was correct, no need to adjust something.

I really have to get my hands on the new C4D release, because bodypaint comes directly with it. You don't have to buy it seperately anymore (And I really like to see some of my aircraft or other objects UVW textured and rendered with C4D.)
  13. allfiredup

allfiredup

us-california
    More Progress - basic cockpit tub area

Yes colacola.se is also who enabled me to get into this aircraft, I don't think I would have done is so nicely, if it weren't for him.

I just aquired Cinema 4D 10 Studio with my work. IT'S A DREAM!
    I LOVE it. Included with it is tons of video tutorials of how to do model, rig, uvmap, paint and texture, lip sync, and animate a basic scene. It's a plethora of much needed tutorials that I've had a hard time getting my hands on for C4D. So if you can get C4D10 studio, go for it. Like you said Bodypaint is now included within all the releases of C4D10 including the basic version. Bodypaint is soooooo awesome!!! I can't do without it now. ;) I can now paint directly on my model as if I was airbrushing a plastic model in my hands! Wonderful!

It's so cool to see someone else using Cinema 4D, do you have any exporting problems getting your aircraft from C4D into Gmax? What's your workflow?
    Honestly, I haven't tackled Gmax yet, C4D to me seems so much more intuitive and easier.

Now onto my progress for the A-7D Corsair II. I've started work on the basic cockpit tub. Now mind you, this tub now is very basic and still needs tweaking here and there to be accurate to life, especially around the panel and glare shield area. I have to also do polygon budgeting at the same time. So I have to figure out what is best poly'd and what is best textured to give 3d depth, etc...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: 15/1/07
  14. allfiredup

allfiredup

us-california
    More Progress shots - radar and nose wheel

Here are some other progressions which include working on the Texas Instruments AN/APQ-116 radar. This is just the basic shape and boxes at the moment. Also are shots of the nose wheels/tires which are really too high poly for Flight Simulator, but I'm going to keep them around for the future when FS catches up and can display over 100k poly's ;)

Now, the shots below precede the screenshots above of the cockpit tub. I had fixed a ton of polygon/points and when I took the shots of the cockpit tub, the fuselage was finally completed. So you may see some wierd glitches with the fuselage on the images below.

p.s. for Cinema 4D users only, I use the Lumen lite 1.0 from 3Dattack for that nice background lighting to show my models. I love it! Cinema 4D10 also has the new "sky" feature which also incorporates that global illumination.

the Lumen lite 1.0 is free, just scroll down to the bottom of the page (link below).

http://www.biomekk.com/index.php?page=1&cat=107&itm=2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: 15/1/07
  15. allfiredup

allfiredup

us-california
    A-7D model update - panel work

Work on the instrument panel. I'm just laying the instrument boxes in with some dials. I've adusted the side panels near the instrument panel to the correct angle.

The first image shows me using a flat panel texture. I use this for a guide to lay out the instruments. But it makes a nice 2D panel texture as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

~DJ
    Last edited: 23/1/07
  16. allfiredup

allfiredup

us-california
    UPDATE - HUD work in progress

Just some updates on the A-7D Heads Up Display and the ring or rim around the cockpit tub (painted red temporarily). I modeled the brackets and I have just a few more details here and there above the glare shield. The instrument Panel is actually all black, but I have it as a default grey so you can see some basic instrument layout. I also have the HUD being grey so you can see it better. The cockpit is very basic right now, but the HUD model is almost completed. I'll apply decals later. You'll see some faceting here and there but that's because I need to keep the polygon count budgeted so it can be flyable in a flight simulator (too many polygons and it will kill frame rates).

Enjoy

~DJ

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. Vitus

Vitus

newzealand
    Hi DJ,

I just want to say that I am really impressed by your pictures. Keep up the good work!

regards
    Vitus
  18. allfiredup

allfiredup

us-california
    Thanks Vitus,

The key will be to get this model crossed over into 3ds Max and onward to Flight Simulator. As I work primarily with Cinema 4D :rolleyes:
  19. Gecko6

Gecko6

us-iowa
    Dale has been busy and I have to share his work!

[​IMG]

If you look closely you can see the plastic tie that is holding the "In Range" light that is blue when illuminiated. It is on the right hand side of the Hud mount.

[​IMG]

The Hud that we chose to model is the latest version that was in service with the ANG Corsairs. It had a IR display capability that would allow the pilots to see IR Images in the glass.

This is a very high poly verison of our Corsair but indeed a very realistic representation of the HUD.

Enjoy and give Dale Kudos!

Gecko6 out.
  20. robby88

robby88

australia
    Wow !!! Looks great. I hope you can get it across to 3DS Max ok without loosing any detail.