1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A couple from New Zealand

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by Timmo, 10/5/09.

1. Timmo

Timmo

newzealand
    Hey guys- I've been working on a few small, basic aerodromes (the ones that usually get overlooked) lately. I like doing these as they are fairly quick which keeps the interest level up- One I have released to Avsim and the other is in beta.

The first is Kaipara Flats Aerodrome just north of Auckland in New Zealand- It is at the end of a small road and quite hard to spot from the air too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This has been uploaded to Avsim- A search on my name 'Tim Barnes' in the FSX scenery section should give you the download link
  2. Timmo

Timmo

newzealand
    The second is SpringHill- Just over the hill from Kaipara flats. This one is a privately run airfield with just a couple of small hangers and a club house.....but with a tarseal runway.

This is in beta but hopefully shouldn't be too far away.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. Vitus

Vitus

newzealand
    Hi Timmo,

looks awesome! I wish someone would correct the NZ landclass. These deserts suck :(
    Keep us informed!

Best regards from Auckland
    Vitus
  4. Timmo

Timmo

newzealand
    Im working on a landclass/roads/rails/waterclass/population density/night lighting/texture replacement for New Zealand. You can see it in its current state in the background of the shots above but there is still a lot of work to do.

Ill post the progress up here- I just need to update my blog with a few new details first.

See here for some early details: http://nzff.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=9030

A pic to tease:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: 11/5/09
  5. n4gix

n4gix Resource contributor

unitedstates
    That's a very nice touch with the rickety, weedy fence... :D
  6. Southwest

Southwest

unitedkingdom
    Tis' indeed - Do you plan to do custom ground textures, aprons runways etc to compliment your superb buildings ?
  7. Timmo

Timmo

newzealand
    No I wont be adding custom ground polygons to these ones for a couple of reasons- Fistly, I just drove to these airfields and spent 20 minutes taking photos from the ground. I didnt fly over them nor obtain proper aerial photos so I don't have much to base the polygon textures on.

Secondly, these are just small 'quick and dirty' models of some of the smaller (overlooked) airfields in New Zealand- Robin Corns excellent 'RealNZ' payware addons cover the larger airports and do feature gmax ground polys.

Thirdly...I havn't yet sat down and figured out how to make ground polygons (although I do have the FS2002 gamepack)- My next major airport project may use ground polys as I do have good aerial shots courtesy of a friend of mine who is the RNZAF parachute team
  8. Vitus

Vitus

newzealand
    Wow! Your improvement on the landclasses looks really good. Will you cover the complete country?

Regards and... work harder and faster! :p

Vitus
  9. Timmo

Timmo

newzealand
    Yep it will cover the whole of New Zealand and the Chatham Islands:)
  10. 44101453

netherlands
    Very, very nice!
  11. lionheart

lionheart

us-arizona
    Awesome work. Love the graphics on the architecture. Very nice. And I agree with Bill, that fence is one great finishing touch.

Bill
  12. Timmo

Timmo

newzealand
  13. Southwest

Southwest

unitedkingdom
    NIce blob, is that with Sbuilder x ?
  14. Timmo

Timmo

newzealand
    Nope using ESRI ArcGIS (when I can get it- Im a GIS analyst by profession so have access to it at work) and possibly some GRASS GIS for work at home.

Im using a mixture of the built in Geoprocessing tools as well as custom models and scripts written in Python