1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A good idea ?

Discussion in 'Tools programming' started by José Bourgoignie, 27/5/09.

1. José Bourgoignie

José Bourgoignie

belgium
    We all know the problems with transparency of fences.
    Maybe can the creation of a special tool solve the problem.
    A tool that displayces the centerpoint 100 m aways... far from those of the nearby objects and buildings. Automatically or manually. The only thing the designer should do is locate the fence as usual and then activate the tool.
    What do you think ? :rolleyes:

Greetz. José.
  2. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi Jose,

I am not sure which problem you expect to solve with that. Can you clarify a bit more?
  3. José Bourgoignie

José Bourgoignie

belgium
    Hi Arno,

I thought that the presence of other centerpoints causes the problems of transparency by fences and not displaying what's behind a fence. Or am I wrong ?

Greetz. José.
  4. Luis_Sá

Luis_Sá Resource contributor

portugal
    Hello,

At this very moment I am trying to add a possibility to make fences with SBuilderX. The method will consist on making a line with several points. The points will correspond to the locations where the fence changes direction and where there could be a "post". In SBuilderX you can set the altitude of points and so the fence can follow non flat grounds. Also lines can have a width. For a line to be a fence you will need:

- set the property of the line to be "textured line" and choose a texture to go with it;
    - set the line to be "StandUp" instead of "LyingDown" so that the width of the line will become the height of the fence.

In the end the line/fence will be compiled as a FSX BGL. Here I still have to test what is best:

- the BGL will contain a single placement and a single MDL of the whole line.
    - the BGL will contain several MDLs, one for each section of the fence.

In regarding to the transparency problem that you refer to, the best (possibly the only) solution is to use the right FS10 material.

Best Regards,

Luis
  5. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    Library Object Manager has a fence line tool which works with FS9 and should work with FSX. Also Don Grovestine (gadgets)has released a fence builder
  6. Luis_Sá

portugal
    Hi Jon,

I can not find Library Object Manager in the downloads of this site and both links under your signature are not working at this moment (a problem of my ISP?) so I will try the tool later. I know Don's tool.

Regards, Luis
  7. GaryGB

GaryGB

us-illinois
    Hi Luis:

Try this site (lots of great resources there!): :wizard:

http://www.scenery.org/design_utilities_d.htm

Thanks for all your ongoing efforts with SBuilder! :)

GaryGB
  8. Luis_Sá

portugal
    Hello Gary,

Are you the owner of the site? I must say that it is one of the web links that I keep a pointer on my "small" site. I quite often visit it. This week I got some FS2002 SDKs from there. Thanks!

Regards, Luis
  9. scruffyduck

wales
    scenery.org is run by Tom Gregor Sr.
  10. scruffyduck

wales
    All my applications are on www.downloadcenter.scruffyduck.org.uk
  11. GaryGB

GaryGB

us-illinois
    Hi Luis:

Indeed as Jon states, that web site is courtesy of another very kind soul providing a wealth of resources to the FS community. ;)

GaryGB
  12. GaryGB

GaryGB

us-illinois
    Hi Jon:

When I went to your download site to verify availability of Library Object Manager (aka "LOM") and typed LOM into the Search field, I got (1) hit which was:

Library Object Manager 1.00

http://www.downloadcenter.scruffyduck.org.uk/?nav=search_results&search=LOM&page=0

IIRC, there needs to be a LOM version 1.003 update applied to that base installation to achieve a current release of that app. :scratchch

I gather that you have not already incorporated the version 1.003 into the LOM 1.00 on your download site, as the downloaded ObjectManager.exe internal version is 1.0.60526.1.

The detail page for LOM states:

http://www.downloadcenter.scruffyduck.org.uk/?nav=display&file=80

"*Please use Check for Updates to download the latest patch to version 1.003"

Does this refer to an "auto-update" feature in LOM version 1.00 that we are supposed to use, or do we need to perform another query in your Search engine to bring up the LOM 1.003 update for download? :confused:

[EDIT]
    The version 1.003 I have run in the past does not seem to have an "auto-update" feature.

I tried performing another query in your Search engine to bring up the LOM 1.003 update for download; if I enter "Library Object Manager" in the Search field I get these (3) hits:

The Big Thumbnail Pack
    Library Object Manager 1.00
    Video Tutorial - Fences with Scenery Maker

... but no LOM 1.003 update for download. :eek:

Could you please advise on what we should properly do to get the fully current version of LOM 1.003 from your download site?

Thanks for your help with this, and many thanks as well for your generosity in making these valuable FS projects available to the community! :)

GaryGB
    Last edited: 29/5/09
  13. scruffyduck

wales
    Gary

I need to check - in any case I have uploaded 1.003 on the download center today. I have also uploaded LOM 2.00 beta which works with FSX
  14. GaryGB

GaryGB

us-illinois
    Hi Jon:

Excellent, it will be very helpful to have those available through your download center! ;)

Thanks again! :)

GaryGB